Why ???

Walker570

51 minutes ago, Gas seal said:

Hi Ultrastu yes there is more involved modifying an air gun. I think the cost would be in the paperwork and if needed the cost of the carrier . I use a mmc bsa ultra 177 a couple of years ago l fitted a regulator to it . I found no difference to the gun but it was a good  experience fitting  it. I have never used a higher power air gun l will use different 22 rim fire rounds. I shoot around dairy farm and shooting at concrete isn’t good.  Most of the birds will perch on the fence posts next to the farm buildings before flying in to the sheds. I will wait until a number of birds are around before I shoot one of the post. It’s the thud when the bird is hit that frightens them more than the report of the gun.I find it’s the the best way to keep them away for a few days . 

They have the uncanny ability to know how to perch directly infront of a cow.  The 17hmr will do the job no problem but an air rifle is somewhat cheaper and totally silent other than the thwock as the pellet arrives.  I plan to have the Boxer converted as soon as Leics F/A Dept approave my application.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes air guns are cheaper. Six weeks ago I bought a gamo gx  177 it’s a good gun.  It cost £310 new. I’ve been shooting pigeons over wheat this week and I took it with me and used some bsa  tin pellets . I shot pigeons from  a willow tree. The pellets hit hard all past through the pigeons.  For crow l use CCI quite segmented about 700 feet per second  the gun is quite and they hit with thud. Shooting a few will move crows from the yard and keep them away for a while. It’s the sight and sound of a bird hit that move them better than bangers or gas guns. Good luck with your air gun let us know how you get on with it.

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

They normally do not like to see their mates lying inert on the ground. I have a jackdaw lay in my yard and it's presence has kept the yard clear for weeks.

I'm up the yard again in the morning but with the 17hmr.

I have never noticed this to be honest and use dead ones as decoys which they come to especially if used on the spinner

16 hours ago, jall25 said:

I have never noticed this to be honest and use dead ones as decoys which they come to especially if used on the spinner

Yes, set up on cradles and also on a floater or spinner it seems to work but lay one out flat or hung by one wing and they will avoid.  I shot a magpie on the maize silage last week and could not get at it to remove it.  Watching the carrions and magpies swerve away was frustrating.   There again I shot three young magpies once with the 17hmr the first fell on the dead rabbit, the second fell on top of that one and the thrid about a foot way but they where all fledglings, dumbVery.

Very high wind this morning so packed in after an hour.

Dead birds can attract or distract other birds. A good deterrent is to shoot a few when a lot of birds are about and then leave the dead ones  on the sheds or clamps. Jackdaws are more of a flock or family group of birds. If jackdaws see a crow or rook shot they fly away in a flock. If they see a jackdaw shot they will fly around and sometimes come back to the shot bird. Shot birds at useful one way or another.

Well, back to the drawing board. I called in at Solware this morning and they rang around including Rat Works and the outcome was that , yes, possible on the Boxer but not practical, cost too much and the barrel is too short.  So as said back to the drawing board. In the next few weeks the length of shots will reduce as the maize silage is used and targets move closer, so pleanty of time in the next few months to decide if I need a new FAC air rifle or not.  The HMR is going to have to do in the short term.  Many thanks for all your comments

9 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Well, back to the drawing board. I called in at Solware this morning and they rang around including Rat Works and the outcome was that , yes, possible on the Boxer but not practical, cost too much and the barrel is too short.  So as said back to the drawing board. In the next few weeks the length of shots will reduce as the maize silage is used and targets move closer, so pleanty of time in the next few months to decide if I need a new FAC air rifle or not.  The HMR is going to have to do in the short term.  Many thanks for all your comments

Seems a bit odd that, especially when you look at @Ultrastu using a BSA ultra in fac.

I realise there would be complications being fac, but could you borrow a fac airgun off someone? Probably be nice to be able to try one out to see if it's suitable. 

How long is the barrel on your boxer (24 inches ? ) 

My scorp is 15.5 inch and may mate ran a 12 inch ultra barrel  on his for many years power around 16 fpe .

Again  my scorp uses 110 cc of air for 30 shots at 18 fpe and 35 - 40 around 16 fpe  

Your boxer probably has around 250 cc of air .

I feel someone Is fobbing you off .

I cant imagine that the basic valving in your boxer is much different to a bsa se series gun .since they come from the same factory  .

I was just trying to look up the specs .

And it's not easy .some say it's a 15 .5 inch barrel others an 18.2 inch  

Either way more than capable  of fac speeds . I've had 1000 fps + with 8.4s 

And 1075  with  falcons . Shot count was poor obviously  and 21 + fpe with bismags  again poor shot count. A nice 16 fpe is plenty and works much better  anyways  

No, I do trust these guys at Solware. No fob off. That is what the result of two calls was and they personally had nothing to lose.  They could easily have said yes, leav it with us and we can get it up graded but they didn't and I would never have been any wiser.  I do appreciate your input Ultrastu as I know you have put a lot of experience in this sort of thing.

Sit back , take a deep breath and think about it seems the order of the day. No panic as the 17 hmr will do the job but with a bit more noise.

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

No, I do trust these guys at Solware. No fob off. That is what the result of two calls was and they personally had nothing to lose.  They could easily have said yes, leav it with us and we can get it up graded but they didn't and I would never have been any wiser.  I do appreciate your input Ultrastu as I know you have put a lot of experience in this sort of thing.

Sit back , take a deep breath and think about it seems the order of the day. No panic as the 17 hmr will do the job but with a bit more noise.

No worries .I dont know the internals of the boxer .it may not be suitable .without a lot of remachining of parts  .

The bsa  doesn't need any of this as they are made "capable " for the American Market. And the internals are designed to handle the forces .

On 18/06/2022 at 10:21, telf said:

I tried some cb longs in my LR , shooting at 30ft lb , accurate out to 50/60yds ( didnt try them any further ) and quiet as a mouses ****

I tried some cb longs and found that they are useless from an accuracy point of view in all of my .22lrs 

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/06/2022 at 22:11, Walker570 said:

All the FAC air rifles I read about seem to be 25 cal. What's wrong with a 177?   Is going FAC worth while when you have a 22rf and a 17hmr in the cabinets?

Nuff questions, ideas

?????????????/

Only you can decide if you need a FAC Air Rifle.

Everyones circumstances and requirements are different, I run FAC Air as well as a lot of other tools, I keep it because I have occasional uses for it, but overall it is my least used gun!

On 23/06/2022 at 18:23, Ultrastu said:

There is a lot more involved in upping a sub 12 to 16 + fpe than just a screw turn .

In my experience  .

And not to be taken so lightly either .

Most likely not allowed to identify the gun but I know of one that can be pushed way over 12ftlb using nothing but a penny piece to turn a srew that's right in front of your face.

If you already have the ticket and the space then there's lots of choice for not an awful lot of money and you can keep the sub 12 for those days it's the right tool. 

I'm toying with the idea for bunnies on a neighbours paddock, I know I can get one but I'm not sure if I really really need one if you know what I mean. 

• 2 weeks later...