Beans

M2 Shooter

10 minutes ago, M2 Shooter said:

We have a field of beans for the first time on one of my permissions.  Checked them a couple of days ago and the pods are fully formed with the beans inside but they are still white - when will the pigeons show an interest?

IF they are going to show an interest ( as not all Bean fields will produce ) will be when the pods turn Black and the ripe beans start dropping out of the split pods , we find the best time is a good week after they had been combined , around our way it would be early to mid August .

Hope the wait is well worth it .

29 minutes ago, marsh man said:

IF they are going to show an interest ( as not all Bean fields will produce ) will be when the pods turn Black and the ripe beans start dropping out of the split pods , we find the best time is a good week after they had been combined , around our way it would be early to mid August .

Hope the wait is well worth it .

very much agree with this.....and the words "IF they show an interest"........ive only found beans to be shootable 

1. when they are first drilled.......(and because of accuate drilling there is no spillage...so thats a none starter)
  2. after they are harvested........( and because of modern farming practice...the haulm is usually ploughed in within 24 hrs...so thats a none starter)

just keep checking the field

51 minutes ago, ditchman said:

very much agree with this.....and the words "IF they show an interest"........ive only found beans to be shootable 

1. when they are first drilled.......(and because of accuate drilling there is no spillage...so thats a none starter)
  2. after they are harvested........( and because of modern farming practice...the haulm is usually ploughed in within 24 hrs...so thats a none starter)

just keep checking the field

Correct , there is only one sure way for the op and that is checking it out just before harvest and then virtually on a daily basis , then if you think there is enough to go after then go more or less straightaway as the next day might be to late .

P S     Don't worry to much if the tractor go on and dice it over as there will be still a lot of loose beans to be found , the time to give it a miss is when the first Green leaf start appearing on the Bean and you know then that the best is over .

I did have a good day a few years ago, well good for me, I picked up 55 in 2 1/2 hours shooting a field of beans due to be harvested where I set up in an open area where two tramlines converged. The bean pods could be heard `popping` which left many beans on the ground which the pigeons were keen to get to.

As said previously, beans can be a hit and miss crop where some fields produce, others don`t. 

Over the last few years at drilling time, even with beans left on top, the pigeons (in my area anyway) have shown very little interest.

OB

they didn’t touch beans here last year had one day when cut looks the same again plenty on top drill time and no takers on good fields for birds definitely need some wind got so frustrated on recon yesterday watching them give up trying to land in barley drove of with my tobacco tin on the bonnet proper senile 

As said above .when they are first sown .and if there is a bit of rain they swell up and the pige will walk the field  picking them up (it's best to shoot them with a silenced rifle not a shot gun .) 

And then right at the end after harvest over the stubble (again after a rain as they are hard and rain may  soften them and make attractive  .but that depends on what else is available in  the  area. Beans are Never first choice  for birds in my opinion