Stroke recovery

Imperfection

In October 2019 i suffered a series of strokes at 49 years old which nearly cost me my life. Im eternally grateful for my friends and the NHS who continue to treat me. 

I can tolerate the fatigue, limping when walking, speech slurring, stuttering, brain f*rts (sometimes my brain reboots during a conversation and i loose track of the subject), strength diminished on left side,hand coordination like typing this message on a keyboard plus other things.

Although i've learnt to accept the problems they've left behind, the one which im struggling with is my now appalling short term memory. Is there anything i can do to make this better?

My mum had two strokes 9 years ago. After 2/3years I thought she was on a downhill slope. It was impossible to talk to her properly. However 6 years on and she’s now as bright and sharp as ever before... I am no expert but I have seen first hand the brain takes a long time to recover. 

5 minutes ago, Imperfection said:

In October 2019 i suffered a series of strokes at 49 years old which nearly cost me my life. Im eternally grateful for my friends and the NHS who continue to treat me. 

I can tolerate the fatigue, limping when walking, speech slurring, stuttering, brain f*rts (sometimes my brain reboots during a conversation and i loose track of the subject), strength diminished on left side,hand coordination like typing this message on a keyboard plus other things.

Although i've learnt to accept the problems they've left behind, the one which im struggling with is my now appalling short term memory. Is there anything i can do to make this better?

I’m sincerely sorry to hear that at such a young age. 
I’m aware obviously that there are different categories of stroke severity, but my Mam died at the age of 86. She was as bright as a button, physically fit and still doing Carol Vordermans job for her on Countdown up to a couple of weeks prior to her death.

It wasn’t until I saw her medical record that I knew she had suffered a stroke in her 60’s if I recall. No one knew! 
As others have said, give it time. You’re still relatively young, so just give it time and take it steady. 
I wish you well. 

31 minutes ago, Imperfection said:

Yes. The motto "A place for everything and everything IN its place" together with the late Clifford Owen's advice to me of "Don't put it down put it AWAY." And if you wear glasses get shirts with top pockets!

Just now, Imperfection said:

Fingers crossed 🤞 

start spunding mor tiome on hear and leaarn to spull sumat proper....think most of norfick bois are born wiva stroke......exersise the brain and it will force the pathways to reopen bit by bit

what dont kill you will makeyou stronger

all the best