Bettinsoli shotguns

wisdom

Please could I have some opinions on the diamond range of bettisoli shotguns.I know they loose money but I will be buying a used one.

But they do look nice and it would be a keeper.

The reasoning behind the question.

I want a multi choke steel proofed o/u. I only shoot occasional clays now for fun not competitions. When when we lose lead all my current guns are not steel proofed and all are fixed chokes.I now that normal steel should be fine on some of them,but I thought I'd ask the question.

I am aware that internally they are probably not the best but the you tube reviews are very favourable.

Just putting the question to the pigeon watch community.

Not buying one yet just getting facts.

For the likely inevitable obligation to use non-lead I've gone down the route of deciding which guns I'd use bismuth in (that was easy...my late father's gun) which I wouldn't use bismuth or steel in and so sell (my own Boss) and which I'd use steel alone in. These latter are all "cheap" secondhand Spanish guns (mostly AYA) or guns where I can effectively throw away a damaged barrel (my 1963 Browning Auto-5). 

So there are options other than buying a gun that has steel proof and that you can use "Superior Steel" in and those options are guns that are cheap in price and open in choke but of good quality (AYA) or single barrel guns such as self-loading or pump action guns where the barrel is a simple swap out and change. Lastly what part of a gun gives the most trouble? The internals! So on that if they are bad internally I'd avoid and get a Miroku, Browning or Beretta.

Edited by enfieldspares

45 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

For the likely inevitable obligation to use non-lead I've gone down the route of deciding which guns I'd use bismuth in (that was easy...my late father's gun) which I wouldn't use bismuth or steel in and so sell (my own Boss) and which I'd use steel alone in. These latter are all "cheap" secondhand Spanish guns (mostly AYA) or guns where I can effectively throw away a damaged barrel (my 1963 Browning Auto-5). 

So there are options other than buying a gun that has steel proof and that you can use "Superior Steel" in and those options are guns that are cheap in price and open in choke but of good quality (AYA) or single barrel guns such as self-loading or pump action guns where the barrel is a simple swap out and change. Lastly what part of a gun gives the most trouble? The internals! So on that if they are bad internally I'd avoid and get a Miroku, Browning or Beretta.

I think it was the finish internally.Although it could have been one of the Turkish budget guns.This is the reason I asked on here.I feel confident that some on here have used them.Hence a realistic users review.

I thank you for your contribution it's another option

I have one and I like it allot.

I bought mine second hand and it's a decent gun for the money.

I use it for clays it shoots well, I had to replace a firing pin and I got the classic bettinsoli double discharged but new main springs put that right. 

I have had it apart and the internals are not as cleanly machined as more expensive guns. But it all works. 

I would say go for it, really nice gun. 

1 hour ago, wisdom said:

I thank you for your contribution it's another option

A final thought? If mostly clays and never formal driven game days? A Beretta 300 series or any other self-loader of modern reliable make that will function (for future proofing) with not only 28 gram but also 24 gram and even 21 gram lead loads. Just in case the current lead consultation throws a "googly" and allows lead for clays with maximum 21 gram loadings. Unlikely but you never know!

Edited by enfieldspares

Hi Wisdom,

Had 2 of them, one in 12 and 1 in 20 bore, the 12 was a cracking gun , never missed a beat, only sold it due to it becoming too heavy for me to carry around quite steep hillsides in Wales. the 20 was the same, didn't let me down, had it for 2 or so years then just decided on a change so sold it. They are made on the machinery Beretta moved on when they got new gear, iirc they are all hand finished too. You won't be disappointed in my opinion  just buy the best and latest 1 you can afford.

s

47 minutes ago, scobydog said:

Hi Wisdom,

Had 2 of them, one in 12 and 1 in 20 bore, the 12 was a cracking gun , never missed a beat, only sold it due to it becoming too heavy for me to carry around quite steep hillsides in Wales. the 20 was the same, didn't let me down, had it for 2 or so years then just decided on a change so sold it. They are made on the machinery Beretta moved on when they got new gear, iirc they are all hand finished too. You won't be disappointed in my opinion  just buy the best and latest 1 you can afford.

s

Thanks thats the kind of review I was looking for.

I’ve used a few seen a lot they are ok for the money more effort was spent on the outside than the inside. If you get a good one they do the job fine bad ones have a habit of double discharging or breaking strikers. 

Most used one by now have most likely had both issues rectified.