Cigarette smoke

countryman

Hi

brought a used watch and the rubber dive strap stinks of cigarette smoke, I’ve tried washing up liquid, hand cleaner and various other cleaning products around the house but it still stinks. I can’t just buy another rubber strap for it as it has its original purpose made one on it and it is as new, I see now why people advertise things from a smoke free home, any ideas how to get rid of the smell much appreciated.

Thanks

13 minutes ago, old'un said:

Are you sure its not just the rubber smell? I have a watch with a rubber strap and that smells a bit odd.

I did wonder that myself, but I have another watch with a rubber dive strap and that’s ok, I think the person who I brought this off must have been a chain smoker.

31 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

Febreze. The fabric spray version. Give it a good spay and leave it to soak before wiping off. 

Yes that is my next try

If you want to wear it cant you buy an after market strap and then leave the fag smelling one somewhere to air and hopefully the smell will go after time ? 

I have enzyme cleaning products that may get rid of the smell but not sure if it will affect the rubber. 

Edited by Dougy

8 minutes ago, Dougy said:

If you want to wear it cant you buy an after market strap and then leave the fag smelling one somewhere to air and hopefully the smell will go after time ?

This seems a pretty simple and not silly expensive way if sorting it. Putting chemicals or even ketchup on it will either make it worse, damage it or make it a stranger smell 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

The only thing I can suggest is sugar soap. It works on walls and ceilings, but if it’s impregnated with nicotine I doubt much will get rid. 
Or tomato ketchup. 

funny you should say that....when i was working in Florida i used to spend 3 nights a week coon hunting...and sometimes the dogs used to get skunked and rub their coats on us.....we found the only way to get rid of the smell was to use tomatoe juice :hmm:

it must have some sort of enzyme in it 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Could be this. ☝️

No I think it is smoke, you know when you stand near someone who is a heavy smoker they have that smell about them, thats what this strap smells like. I have just given it 2 coats of Dettol all in one and that seems to have taken it down a lot.

I will second the tomato juice or tomato sauce.

Bicarbonate of soda used for baking is a good deoderiser too. Make a thick paste up with some water and rub it in then leave overnight and wash off after about 12 hrs. Make sure it doesn't get into the winder etc. 

White vinegar is another good cleaner and deoderiser.

I would thoroughly recommend an ozone generator if you can beg steal or borrow one, or I don’t think they are too expensive to buy.  Some years back I loaned my caravan to my sister and some  selfish b……… smoked in it.  It stank and I went ballistic.  My sister bought me an ozone generator and after 4 hours with the generator in the van, the smell had completely gone, including from the upholstery.  I was really prepared to lose my rag if there was even the faintest whiff, but I honestly couldn’t smell a thing.

1 hour ago, Jonty said:

I would thoroughly recommend an ozone generator if you can beg steal or borrow one, or I don’t think they are too expensive to buy.  Some years back I loaned my caravan to my sister and some  selfish b……… smoked in it.  It stank and I went ballistic.  My sister bought me an ozone generator and after 4 hours with the generator in the van, the smell had completely gone, including from the upholstery.  I was really prepared to lose my rag if there was even the faintest whiff, but I honestly couldn’t smell a thing.

that sounds very interesting

3 hours ago, Jonty said:

Blimey just remined me, we have one at work, too much of a risk to be used so its been in storage for probably 10 years. 

it was the be all to end all issues and then looking at the risks involved it was shelved. 

You would be better off looking at other options to the problem. 

The ozone tip is a decent one.  Oxygen is the key - it needs oxidising.

If you can get hold of any liquid hydrogen peroxide around the 6% strength, maybe 9%, that would be ideal.   You can get it off the interweb; trying to locate it in stock somewhere locally might be a wild goose chase.  Chemists used to stock it but you'd be lucky nowadays.  If you know a hairdresser, ask them.

Failing that go have a peep under your sink and see if you've got any of that Vanish "oxi-action" stuff.  It'll be in a screw-top tub and it is a white granule.  Not too expensive from the shops.  The active ingredient is sodium percarbonate which, when dissolved in warm water, produces a mild hydrogen peroxide solution.  You don't use too hot water or it will fizz off all the oxygen, but too cold and it won't dissolve the product.

Time is your best friend with this, apply the solution and give it time.  If you can't directly immerse the item in the cleaning solution, I'd wrap the item in plastic or something to prevent drying out but you'll need to keep refreshing the solution regularly because the available oxygen will diminish as the molecules of hydrogen peroxide decompose.

Once you've discovered the magic of oxygen you'll be using it on all sorts of stuff:

• Pre-soaking greasy roasting tins etc before washing up
  • Laundry additive for dirty/smelly loads (great for getting the stink out of towels, best used in conjunction with biological powder though)
  • Getting tea/coffee tarnishing off cups, out of flasks etc (if you've got a flask all tarred up inside from coffee prepare to be amazed when you see what happens)
  • Add it to your car washing suds to cut the grime better
  • Sterilising tupperware etc if you've accidentally let your sarnies go mouldy in there
  • Spray over your block paving/patio, wait a few days and it will kill lichen etc allowing you to power wash it off better, plus it cleans the surface

There's probably loads more ways I use it in addition to the original purpose I had for it which is an additive in carpet cleaning pre-treatments to cut through dirt better.  It's an excellent red wine remover but on natural fibres it MUST be rinsed out and MUST be neutralised with something acidic afterwards otherwise it will cause permanent brown staining from the alkalinity.

1 hour ago, Minky said:

Ah. The old wire brush and Detol trick. 😊😊

"And what do you desire most in life?"

"To get my hands on the wire brush before those two dirty *******s get it!"

😅 Classic Connolly!

This thread is just so perfectly pigeonwatch , it's great😄.

I need help chosing a light bulb for my downstairs loo.

All you need is some depleted uranium.

I don't use uranium,  I use the two hundred banana skin method .

Why on earth would you use banana skins and uranium,  when all you need is a well trained great white shark.

Long live pigeonwatch 😁😁😁.