Crows . 23rd and 24th june , Bridgnorth.

I’ll have you know, we’re very well behaved and gentle folk in Rosliston😗

I did think at one point if I was ok to go as well and it was the same day we could have maybe shared the drive over.

Hope you have a good day tomorrow, looks as though it’s going to be a hot one😎

cheers

Jeremy

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, JerryT said:

Hi Mel,

Just read your very generous offer. If you are still looking for another person, I would love to join you.

I am retired and live in South Derbyshire, I think probably not far from Walker570.

I am only available on Friday of this week, but normally am free most of the time.

Thanks very much.

BW

Jeremy

Hiya Jeremy. 

I'll be going over on Friday morning as well mate , so you're more than welcome to join me if you'd like.  I wouldn't expect the shooting to be as lively,  but their will still be more than enough to keep it interesting. 

Just drop me a pm if you'd like to come along mate , and you don't mind an early start.👍

3 hours ago, JerryT said:

I’ll have you know, we’re very well behaved and gentle folk in Rosliston😗

I did think at one point if I was ok to go as well and it was the same day we could have maybe shared the drive over.

Hope you have a good day tomorrow, looks as though it’s going to be a hot one😎

cheers

Jeremy

Cheers Jeremy, no offence intended. Some fine folk up that area.  Haven't shot the Mossy for a couple of years so you may just have quite a few flying about Friday morning..

Absolutely no offence taken😊

I’ve never shot a hushpower before, I’m borrowing Mels. So that should be interesting. Got to try and source some 410 carts

tomorrow, thought maybe Garlands?

Sure after a couple of shots, you’ll be on target. Have a good day.

1 hour ago, Raw and wriggley said:

How’s the day going Mel . Wish I’d taken up your kind offer now far to hot for work

As is usual when you invite a guest over to shoot, with a promise of a guaranteed red letter day , you end up shooting naff all .

We arrived there at just after 4am , with swarms of birds in the air . We got to our shooting positions , just in time for pretty much nothing to happen . We all has a few shots , but nothing much . We packed up at around 8am ish . I spoke to the farmer when we got back to the car , and he told me that they'd been spraying slurry on a nearby field . I took a look on the way home , and that's where the birds were going to .

Jeremy is coming over tomorrow morning,  so he'll be putting a few crow decoys in that field .  Hopefully tomorrow will be a bit better.

28 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

As is usual when you invite a guest over to shoot, with a promise of a guaranteed red letter day , you end up shooting naff all .

We arrived there at just after 4am , with swarms of birds in the air . We got to our shooting positions , just in time for pretty much nothing to happen . We all has a few shots , but nothing much . We packed up at around 8am ish . I spoke to the farmer when we got back to the car , and he told me that they'd been spraying slurry on a nearby field . I took a look on the way home , and that's where the birds were going to .

Jeremy is coming over tomorrow morning,  so he'll be putting a few crow decoys in that field .  Hopefully tomorrow will be a bit better.

I do hope you’ve not made Neville into a grumpy old man!

2 hours ago, London Best said:

I do hope you’ve not made Neville into a grumpy old man!

You know me better than that....VERY grumpy old man PLEASE.

No to be fair we saw a lot of crows and I was given free run of the yard where they normally raid the pens. I had half a dozen shots at fleeting crows but even when I moved across the yard to near the fields in question the crows where using a route 100yrds away from me. Very frustrating but I did have a pair of goldfinches come and have a look for food just about 10ft from me which made my morning.  Super location and yes, a lot of crows. Some decoys and a couple of hides in the morning should produce.

Thanks Mel I really did enjoy my visit. Many thanks.  Set of lofting poles await to go on that old dead oak tree.

2 hours ago, mel b3 said:

He's been a grumpy old man for the last 40 years 😄

You guys are really running my reputation down. Ask my wife of 59yrs and she will confirm at least that long.  A man has to protect his reputation.

The Mod was superb. I did not hear a sound from Mel all morning and he was just a couple of hundred yards from me.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

You know me better than that....VERY grumpy old man PLEASE.

No to be fair we saw a lot of crows and I was given free run of the yard where they normally raid the pens. I had half a dozen shots at fleeting crows but even when I moved across the yard to near the fields in question the crows where using a route 100yrds away from me. Very frustrating but I did have a pair of goldfinches come and have a look for food just about 10ft from me which made my morning.  Super location and yes, a lot of crows. Some decoys and a couple of hides in the morning should produce.

Thanks Mel I really did enjoy my visit. Many thanks.  Set of lofting poles await to go on that old dead oak tree.

Thankyou nev.

You're very welcome to come over whenever you fancy it mate .

8 hours ago, Mice! said:

They never tell you before hand do they 😄😄 

Yep 😄 

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Ho0w did it go today mel ?????????????????????

Evening nev.

We played it a bit differently today mate .

Jeremy set up with about a dozen crow deeks , on the field that had been slurried yesterday . He shot until 8.30 ish with the husher , then a  few hours with his 12g semi . Their wasn't loads of birds about ( apart from that huge Flock that appears and disappears) , but enough birds decoyed to keep it interesting for him ( I watched him pull off a couple of cracking shots) . I can't honestly remember how many he picked up , but I think he had 15 or 20 .

I started in the same place as yesterday , with six crow deeks , and then later I moved to the back of the calf pen , where you started yesterday .  It was a very mixed bag for me today . I finished with around 12 blacks , 4 pigeons, 3 magpies , 2 rabbits , and a rat. The highlight of the day , was sitting on the tailgate of my car eating a sandwich,  when a young hare came to within two feet of me , looked at me for a few seconds  , then hopped off.  It really made my day 🙂.

It was a pleasure to meet Jeremy.  He's a very nice guy , and he has been invited back whenever he wants.

Quick update .

Went this morning,  but only had half a dozen birds and a bonus squirrel. The birds are now giving the maize clamp a very wide birth.

My home made moderator is improving with use , and on overhead birds , I can hear the shot hitting the bird .

1 minute ago, mel b3 said:

Quick update .

Went this morning,  but only had half a dozen birds and a bonus squirrel. The birds are now giving the maize clamp a very wide birth.

My home made moderator is improving with use , and on overhead birds , I can hear the shot hitting the bird .

Exactly as expected, they are not thick and learn quite quickly.

One of the Farmers I get called by on a regular basis knows now that when I have been to the same field twice, they will go somewhere else.

I usually get around 40 on the first outing and 15 on the second visit.

He used to phone me without actually checking the field, but he has learned to let me sort out the problem.

Morning, thanks again Mel for a really enjoyable day yesterday on a lovely farm.

I hadn’t shot a husher before and didn’t realise how quiet they are. First shot of the day, pulled the trigger, heard a “phut” and thought oh no it’s a dud, then a crow fell out the sky👍

There was more than enough birds to keep me interested and the decoys worked well with some taking a wide detour round the field to come and have another look. I was pleased with a couple of the shots you saw but also missed a fair few. I think we picked 15 in total.

It was an absolute pleasure to meet you as well, you’re a true countryman and very generous. I would really love to come out with you again.

Cheers again

Jeremy

9 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Exactly as expected, they are not thick and learn quite quickly.

One of the Farmers I get called by on a regular basis knows now that when I have been to the same field twice, they will go somewhere else.

I usually get around 40 on the first outing and 15 on the second visit.

He used to phone me without actually checking the field, but he has learned to let me sort out the problem.

I used to have some excellent bags of blacks on this farm . I'd watch them , then really hit them hard , then leave them alone again for a while ,  but ,  the farmers lad shoots now , and that extra bit of attention has really educated them. Using moderated guns has definitely helped a little bit on this occasion I think . 

1 minute ago, JerryT said:

Morning, thanks again Mel for a really enjoyable day yesterday on a lovely farm.

I hadn’t shot a husher before and didn’t realise how quiet they are. First shot of the day, pulled the trigger, heard a “phut” and thought oh no it’s a dud, then a crow fell out the sky👍

There was more than enough birds to keep me interested and the decoys worked well with some taking a wide detour round the field to come and have another look. I was pleased with a couple of the shots you saw but also missed a fair few. I think we picked 15 in total.

It was an absolute pleasure to meet you as well, you’re a true countryman and very generous. I would really love to come out with you again.

Cheers again

Jeremy

Thankyou for you generous words Jeremy.  It would have been nice if you could have slipped bronzed addonis in there though 😄 .

You're more than welcome to come whenever you want mate , and when you've been out with me a few times , and I've shown you around , you'll be able to pop over on your own.👍