PLB Beacon

loriusgarrulus

Just bought an Ocean Signal PLB1 beacon. Despite the Ocean in the name it can be used on land as well. Thought it would be useful when I am on my own in the wood and also sea fishing. Its waterproof and you can fasten it to your lifejacket. It also come with a lanyard.

It works even if there is no phone signal and provides a locator signal and flashing light once activated. I hope I never have to use it, but its peace of mind. I registered it with the gov.uk website online. They are pricey, but there are no monthly running costs. This model has a 7 year battery (needs battery replacing after 7 years or once activated)

20220621_131716.jpg

Edited by loriusgarrulus

4 minutes ago, samboy said:

But if you collapse how do you activate it ?.

If I collapse there is no way to activate anything and I would rely on my regular contact times with my Daughter not happening to cause an alert. 

With this at least it is simple to activate and lets them find me easily in most scenarios. No system is totaly foolproof. 

Hello, I can well understand your thinking but as always hope it's never used, at least your daughter can be assured to if you out on your own as you say and can come to your rescue, I've had a few scarry times beach fishing on my own many years back, it goes to show we all need to take care if we do things mostly on our own, 

I knew of a guy that nicked an Epirb from a lifeboat on a jack up, thought he was dead clever saving himself a few quid. 

Not really that clever as, in an emergency, he could have endangered thirty blokes lives. 

Even dumber when, after he grabbed his bag out of the cupboard to go offshore he knocked it over, dislodging the velcro retainer that held the antenna in place and kept the unit deactivated. 

Got a call at the heliport from the old bill who were interested to know why a sea king was currently hovering over his house in Gorleston. 

Twit. 

Edited by mick miller