Memory card transfer to storage/external hard drive etc

powler

Bit of a weird one but the wife and I are off on a jolly in September to the Italian Alps on the motorbike. The bike is fitted with a camera and also the wifes helmet, the footage is recorded to SD memory cards. Now as we are on the bike we will have to travel light so I don't want to take a laptop so does anyone know if it is possible to transfer from the SD cards to a small external storage device like a hard drive of similar, I know I would not be able to view the files but could do that once home.

The only other option is to buy lots of SD cards or wipe the data, but I didn't want to lose the recordings as some may be worth keeping.

Mick

As I see it you have a couple of choices, you cannot directly transfer data from an SD card to a flash drive as without some kind of input device you cannot instruct the SD to transfer data to the flash drive.

So, choice 1,   assuming both your camera's have charging/data leads that are standard usb one end and micro usb the other. Purchase or borrow a small PDA that has a usb socket of the standard type (you will need this to connect the flash drive ). Create a file folder on the PDA to store your footage, connect a usb type card reader to the PDA and transfer the footage from the SD card to the PDA via the file folder you created. You can then insert your flash drive to the standard usb port on the PDA and then transfer your footage to this.  "example of PDA is anything like a small Asus note book or pad " which will easily fit into a back pack or panier.

However, option 2, will be a lot easier for you, you don't mention whether you are camping out in a tent or not but in any case I will also assume you will be, in which case, simply find an internet cafe close to one of your stops, have a coffee and a half hours worth of internet access on one of their computers transfer your footage to this computer as in option 1, then download it to your flash drive. 

If this all sounds a little to involved for you, you can always go into any McDonalds and just about ask any kid with a hand held to do it for you for the price of a burger of course.😁 ( see attached example of usb card reader and PDA )   PS I also believe any photo processing shop will be able to do it for you.

PDA.JPG

card reader.JPG

Edited by Tonka54

2 hours ago, discobob said:

I have the answer @powler

Wow, Good spot, this is a new one on me. Great tool for anybody that needs to transfer data from SD cards regularly. Looks to be a bit pricey though, unless you can use it as an external drive for a laptop/computer as well. 

Edited by Tonka54