Verisure house alarm.

steve_b_wales

I fitted the Yale cordless alarm system about 3 years ago and apart from running the cable to a plug for the control panel in it was an easy install, fitted the sirens back and front of house and all doors and windows with contact breakers and two PIR’s, took about two days for the complete install, could be done in a day with a push.

All the breakers and pir’s take 3032 button batteries which last about a year or more depending on how often the door or window is opened, batteries are easy to change, the sirens take D2 long life batteries and so far I have not had to change them in 3 years.

The system works perfectly and so far have not had any problem, the thing I like is, you can easily add or remove things to the system.

We have fitted an Imou camera to keep an eye on our dog for the 4 hours that our neighbour can't look after our dog, whilst we are away.

It distinguishes between humans and animals and reports accordingly, but we were amused to have a couple of night-time reports triggered by a moth and lightning - our dog is at the neighbour's then.

I would personally steer away from the likes of Verisure as they don't technically offer an automatic police response (Only Type B) in the same way a conventional alarm fitted by a local NSI or SSAIB accredited alarm installer can do. 

They can phone the police on your behalf but only after they have phoned you and have confirmed that there is an incident ongoing. A bit pointless really.. 

These larger, nationwide companies can also have some weird contractual terms surrounding you ever owning the equipment installed and can be a costly nightmare to call out to fix faults, service etc.. 

I work in the security industry and have worked for a few S. Wales based installers. I can recommend a few but any NSI Gold accredited companies should do you well. There is a company finder on the NSI website. 

If you do end up engaging with an installer, request that they install a Texecom wireless system, one of the better and more cost effective options out there. 

11 minutes ago, walshie said:

I had an alarm system fitted by PES Fire & Security systems in Swansea. Not as expensive as you might think. 

PM sent

1 hour ago, old'un said:

I fitted the Yale cordless alarm system about 3 years ago and apart from running the cable to a plug for the control panel in it was an easy install, fitted the sirens back and front of house and all doors and windows with contact breakers and two PIR’s, took about two days for the complete install, could be done in a day with a push.

All the breakers and pir’s take 3032 button batteries which last about a year or more depending on how often the door or window is opened, batteries are easy to change, the sirens take D2 long life batteries and so far I have not had to change them in 3 years.

The system works perfectly and so far have not had any problem, the thing I like is, you can easily add or remove things to the system.

PM sent

as far as any company goes in contacting the police it would be a waste of time as they dont attend until a few days later. i have an alarm that contacts me and as i am the only person who is likely to go straight home that is cheaper and better than these comany monitored systems.

3 hours ago, Poor Shot said:

I would personally steer away from the likes of Verisure as they don't technically offer an automatic police response (Only Type B) in the same way a conventional alarm fitted by a local NSI or SSAIB accredited alarm installer can do. 

They can phone the police on your behalf but only after they have phoned you and have confirmed that there is an incident ongoing. A bit pointless really.. 

These larger, nationwide companies can also have some weird contractual terms surrounding you ever owning the equipment installed and can be a costly nightmare to call out to fix faults, service etc.. 

I work in the security industry and have worked for a few S. Wales based installers. I can recommend a few but any NSI Gold accredited companies should do you well. There is a company finder on the NSI website. 

If you do end up engaging with an installer, request that they install a Texecom wireless system, one of the better and more cost effective options out there. 

This. I'd get quotes from reputable small companies. I think another member has mentioned a name? Also if your 'phone service is now through your router it'll mean that whilst the alarm will work if there is a power cut your 'phone line THROUGH YOUR ROUTER will not.

Edited by enfieldspares

I had an email quote (after a telephone conversation) with Verisure. Alarm fitted with a few extras, for £199:00 then £29:90 per month for it to be monitored, but I can cancel the monthly fee after 6 months. Another local company (Cardiff) quoted £479 for a wireless one, which only included 2 door contacts and 3 window ones.

I'm waiting for a quote etc from a few other's now, including the one mentioned by walshie.

50 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

This. I'd get quotes from reputable small companies. I think another member has mentioned a name? Also if your 'phone service is now through your router it'll mean that whilst the alarm will work if there is a power cut your 'phone line THROUGH YOUR ROUTER will not.

Any reputable company should be fitting dual path monitoring devices which will communicate with an ARC via a mobile sim in the event of a power cut. 

14 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

I had an email quote (after a telephone conversation) with Verisure. Alarm fitted with a few extras, for £199:00 then £29:90 per month for it to be monitored, but I can cancel the monthly fee after 6 months. Another local company (Cardiff) quoted £479 for a wireless one, which only included 2 door contacts and 3 window ones.

I'm waiting for a quote etc from a few other's now, including the one mentioned by walshie.

If you speak to Verisure again please ask them what happens when you no longer wish to pay the £29 per month? Will the installation still perform as a standard, audible only system? 

Ask them to detail their callout and service charges and committed response times. Also bare in mind that they aren't providing a police response but a glorified notification service.

A Texecom (along with most other manufactures) system fitted with their Texecom Connect module will allow free, lifetime connection to your system via an app which will allow you to remotely set/ unset your alarm and most importantly receive notifications of an alarm.  Though this does have it's limitations as it communicates via IP (your router) and will fail in the event of a power cut but you will get a notification of this. 

I'm not trying to prove that Verisure are con artists or anything, I'm just not a 100% sure as Verisure are relatively new to scene and target mainly domestic properties whereas my experience lies on the commercial side of things. Various companies have tried this approach in the past leaving customers with a sour taste when their £200 fully fitted alarm systems suddenly started costing them £100's per year in additional, mandatory service and maintenance costs. Some have even found that they we're only ever leasing the equipment and would need to pay additional cost to retain or return the equipment at the end of the lease. 

There's a reason that Verisure, ADT etc.. can charge relative pennies for an installation and it's not economies of scale. 

Depending on where you are based in S. Wales there are plenty of immediately local alarm companies who will provide a better service though it may cost more upfront. 

3 minutes ago, Poor Shot said:

If you speak to Verisure again please ask them what happens when you no longer wish to pay the £29 per month? Will the installation still perform as a standard, audible only system? 

Ask them to detail their callout and service charges and committed response times. Also bare in mind that they aren't providing a police response but a glorified notification service.

A Texecom (along with most other manufactures) system fitted with their Texecom Connect module will allow free, lifetime connection to your system via an app which will allow you to remotely set/ unset your alarm and most importantly receive notifications of an alarm.  Though this does have it's limitations as it communicates via IP (your router) and will fail in the event of a power cut but you will get a notification of this. 

I'm not trying to prove that Verisure are con artists or anything, I'm just not a 100% sure as Verisure are relatively new to scene and target mainly domestic properties whereas my experience lies on the commercial side of things. Various companies have tried this approach in the past leaving customers with a sour taste when their £200 fully fitted alarm systems suddenly started costing them £100's per year in additional, mandatory service and maintenance costs. Some have even found that they we're only ever leasing the equipment and would need to pay additional cost to retain or return the equipment at the end of the lease. 

There's a reason that Verisure, ADT etc.. can charge relative pennies for an installation and it's not economies of scale. 

Depending on where you are based in S. Wales there are plenty of immediately local alarm companies who will provide a better service though it may cost more upfront. 

Your comments etc are noted, thanks. I'm not all that interested in Verisure now to be honest, and as mentioned, just waiting for other quotes. I'm not really interested in having messages/alerts sent to my mobile phone, although I can see a benefit. I'm in Rhondda Mid Glam area.

8 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

Your comments etc are noted, thanks. I'm not all that interested in Verisure now to be honest, and as mentioned, just waiting for other quotes. I'm not really interested in having messages/alerts sent to my mobile phone, although I can see a benefit. I'm in Rhondda Mid Glam area.

You've got a few options who are all NSI accredited and have been around for a while. You have the likes of Ambassador, Protectorcomms, iSecure, SGD locally who have all been around for years and will all be able to offer a great service. 

As always, get a few quotes and go for the one that suites you. 

15 minutes ago, Poor Shot said:

You've got a few options who are all NSI accredited and have been around for a while. You have the likes of Ambassador, Protectorcomms, iSecure, SGD locally who have all been around for years and will all be able to offer a great service. 

As always, get a few quotes and go for the one that suites you. 

:good: