My letter to Jacob Rees-Mogg - sent 223 June 2022

Dear Mr Rees-Mogg,

How, Sir, might I contact you in your role as Minister for Brexit Opportunities? This United Kingdom has left the European Union yet UK REACH is proposing onerous restrictions on the use of lead shot and bullets made of, or containing, lead by British sportsmen and women.

These proposals are not for continuation of the already existing ban of lead shot for shooting ducks that has existed already in Britain for some decades. Nor for sensible proposals such as those achieved in New Zealand as below.

I beg that you look at the link where what is done in New Zealand is set out simply, set out well and is almost a model of sensible legislation. Would not that UK REACH adopt exactly the same!

Non Toxic Shot Regulations | Fish and Game

The proposals are for a total ban.

I know that you were succesfuk in seeing common sense applied to recent firearms legislation proposed by the civil servants in relation to larger calibre rifles. These new UK REACH proposals will impact far more and will be far reaching even terminal for some lawful shooting activities.

And not even (as in New Zealand) any derogation for the .410" with which so many young boys and girls have learned to shoot with alongside a parent or other family member. The proposed ban is total. For everything. Game, vermin, stalking, clay pigeon shooting. All.

UK REACH – Restriction Proposals 004 - Lead shot in ammunition - Health and Safety Executive - Citizen Space

The above starts by saying:

In the European Union (EU), a restriction has been adopted for lead in gunshot over wetlands (January 2021), and a restriction for lead in shot, bullets and fishing weights is in progress. This Annex 15 dossier prepared by HSE examines whether a similar restriction should be introduced into Great Britain (GB; England, Scotland and Wales) covering lead in ammunition in all habitats.

I would hope, Sir, that having exited the EU that this desire of some in the civil service to continue to "cut and paste" laws from an organisation we have successfully left onto the Statutes and Parliamentary Acts of the United Kingdom be rejected.

Although not a resident in your Parliamentary Constituency its is hoped that you might accept this communication in the ministerial role that you serve the country in and I look very much forward, if you wish, to further intercourse on this matter.

Yours truly,

XXX XXXX

Edited by enfieldspares

This to my own MP:

Dear XXXX,

How, please might I ask you to contact Mr Jacob Rees-Mogg in his role as Minister for Brexit Opportunities?

This United Kingdom has left the European Union yet UK REACH is proposing onerous restrictions on the use of lead shot and bullets made of, or containing, lead by British sportsmen and women.

These proposals are not for continuation of the already existing ban of lead shot for shooting ducks that has existed already in Britain for some decades. Nor for sensible proposals such as those achieved in New Zealand as below.

I beg that you might ask Mr Rees-Mogg to look at the link where what is done in New Zealand is set out simply, set out well and is almost a model of sensible legislation. Would not that UK REACH adopt exactly the same!

Non Toxic Shot Regulations | Fish and Game

The proposals are for a total ban.

I know that Mr Rees-Mogg was succesful in seeing common sense applied to recent firearms legislation proposed by the civil servants in relation to larger calibre rifles. These new UK REACH proposals will impact far more and will be far reaching even terminal for some lawful shooting activities.

And not even (as in New Zealand) any derogation for the .410" with which so many young boys and girls have learned to shoot with alongside a parent or other family member. The proposed ban is total. For everything. Game, vermin, stalking, clay pigeon shooting. All.

UK REACH – Restriction Proposals 004 - Lead shot in ammunition - Health and Safety Executive - Citizen Space

The above starts by saying:

In the European Union (EU), a restriction has been adopted for lead in gunshot over wetlands (January 2021), and a restriction for lead in shot, bullets and fishing weights is in progress. This Annex 15 dossier prepared by HSE examines whether a similar restriction should be introduced into Great Britain (GB; England, Scotland and Wales) covering lead in ammunition in all habitats.

I would hope that having exited the EU that this desire of some in the civil service to continue to "cut and paste" laws from an organisation we have successfully left onto the Statutes and Parliamentary Acts of the United Kingdom be rejected.

It is is hoped that you might assist in this matter? And if appropriate ask the Minister for Brexit Opportunities to help and perhaps, in his role as that, allow me to have direct intercourse with him regarding this unwelcome post-Brexit carry forward.

Same here.. 

My local MP would probably (If the letter didn't find its way straight to the bin) suggest that if it were up to her, even water pistols would be banned and the very idea that anyone would wish to be within 100 miles of anything remotely resembling a gun was preposterous.  

She was a vocal advocate for the ban on snares in Wales despite having no real experience of rural living. 

Good on you Enfieldspares for taking the time to engage with this issue.

Yes, Well said and well done sir.

May I take this opportunity on behalf of my self and our fellow forum members to say thank you very much indeed for taking the time and trouble to lobby the MP's concerned regarding this issue.

I am also wandering if it would be a practical and feasible option to contact a member of the administration team with regard to the possibility of raising a petition to add the weight of signatures from the membership in support of your correspondence.    

3 hours ago, oowee said:

Well done. Unfortunately he is my MP and almost a neighbour a complete donkey more interested in selling pensions to the public sector than doing the job he is paid for as minister.

Could you maybe invite him shooting? Get people from CPSA and other organisations to come along? Express the concerns that local "hay bale" shoots will in effect cease to exist?