Letter in Shooting Times

Scully

Just read a letter regarding the manufacturing of steel. 
Apparently it’s ‘green’ credentials are horrific, and after crude oil and coal, iron ore is the third most produced commodity by volume and the second most traded commodity. 
And as we don’t produce a lot of steel nowadays, I can’t help but think that once cheaper than lead ( as a cartridge ) doesn’t look like too promising an option now, does it? 🤷‍♂️

Of course. Lead melts at 600 degrees and is cast into ingots. It then is melted again and (usually now by short drop) is formed into shot. Some lead is, I think, still produced in the UK in Northern Ireland. Others will likely know better about of we still mine lead, as such, rather than it being as a by product.

Steel (or to be correct soft iron) shot is melted at a 1600 degress and is cast into ingots. It then has to be heated again and rolled into steel wire. It that is chopped into short pieces and then, finally, formed into round "steel shot" for use to load into cartridges. Much if not mostly all of it that is used in the UK is imported from China.

If you want a laugh, google 'green steel'.

But, it is a material we just absolutely as a species cannot do without.  Same as concrete.

One suspects the environmental impact of the manufacture of steel shot will be lost in rounding errors for the steel industry itself, but still worth pointing out in your response to the HSE consultation.

A former member on here managed to connect nail with hammer last night when he said to me: "Lead; we can take it out of the ground, but apparently we can't put less of it back in"