Eley zenith cartridges

18 hours ago, Mr grumpy said:

Looking for feedback on eley zeniths.i've been offered some 6's 30gram,fibre wad and wanted peoples experience of them.i usually shoot VIP or pigeon select,both in the same load as above.

Assuming 12 bore and they're below RRP - define "been offered" - fill your boots. Unless you're getting a real bargain and provided that load is traditionally used for your intended quarry species, it's odds on that any pattern is going to fail before the pellet energy and consequently, as ever, money is better spent on whatever patterns best to suit your gun and the quarry at the range at which you'll be shooting. Advertising doesn't kill, pellets do.

22 hours ago, Mr grumpy said:

Looking for feedback on eley zeniths.i've been offered some 6's 30gram,fibre wad and wanted peoples experience of them.i usually shoot VIP or pigeon select,both in the same load as above.

Soft on the shoulder for the loading due to being slower than VIP's , pattern wise they are decent and certainly better the selcect and VIP loads you have been using, worth patterning the two (VIP and Zeniths) at 40 yards for pellet counting 30 inch circle and seeing what your shotgun prefers.

3 hours ago, Stonepark said:

Soft on the shoulder for the loading due to being slower than VIP's , pattern wise they are decent and certainly better the selcect and VIP loads you have been using, worth patterning the two (VIP and Zeniths) at 40 yards for pellet counting 30 inch circle and seeing what your shotgun prefers.

Thankyou.that is what I was after, someone who had actually used them👍

soft on the shoulder but not soft on the wallet.  only fired a hand full i got in a bag of odds and **** of a fella who was having a clear out.   eleys game flagship, coper plated shoty aparently helps minimise deformation.  if you regularly use eley 30g of 6s i cant imagine these would be worse might not be better but its hard to see why they would be worse when they apparently use the best components. advertising being what it is youll probably find them very similar to what youve used just pattern then to make sure theyre not all over the place. 

were soft, and cycled my auto very well and i did ok with them but i only fired about 20 so not really a scientific test.

Not quite the same thing I realise but when Hull Cartridge launched their Driven Grouse range they loaded them in a green case then and quickly changed this to a purple case meaning the green cased jobbies went on offer at a big price reduction. I shot my way through two slabs mostly on pigeon and I found them very good. I just looked up the price of a slab ( 30g No6 ) at todays prices and they are £144.00 a slab !! HaHa. Ridiculous money if you ask me. I think I paid £60 a slab back in the day. Yes these are Hulls equivalent copper coated lead shot shell to the Eley Zenith.

DGrouse.jpg

Edited by Whitebridges

On 25/06/2022 at 20:13, Sweet11-87 said:

soft on the shoulder but not soft on the wallet.  only fired a hand full i got in a bag of odds and **** of a fella who was having a clear out.   eleys game flagship, coper plated shoty aparently helps minimise deformation.  if you regularly use eley 30g of 6s i cant imagine these would be worse might not be better but its hard to see why they would be worse when they apparently use the best components. advertising being what it is youll probably find them very similar to what youve used just pattern then to make sure theyre not all over the place. 

were soft, and cycled my auto very well and i did ok with them but i only fired about 20 so not really a scientific test.

When I started 12 bore shooting in 1972, I was buying Eley Grand Prix for £1.15 per 25,I believe 250 would have been £11. However cheap that sounds now we have to bare in mind a man was on average earning £25 a week after tax,so could get 550 cartridges with a week’s wage.

Today similar jobs would pay £400,so we can probably buy more today for our money,almost twice really!

10 hours ago, TOPGUN749 said:

When I started 12 bore shooting in 1972, I was buying Eley Grand Prix for £1.15 per 25,I believe 250 would have been £11. However cheap that sounds now we have to bare in mind a man was on average earning £25 a week after tax,so could get 550 cartridges with a week’s wage.

Today similar jobs would pay £400,so we can probably buy more today for our money,almost twice really!

yep  id happily pay 400 for cartridges today if a family could get on the property ladder and raise 2 or 3 kids on a single income while the other parent stayed home which was the norm in the 70s.  Its just not a possible feet these days without crippling debt or government aid and thats is just a nice way to say mandatory charity fOR the tax payer.   im just not about that whole" back in the day life was harder but better" becasue i dont buy it. :D

10 hours ago, Sweet11-87 said:

yep  id happily pay 400 for cartridges today if a family could get on the property ladder and raise 2 or 3 kids on a single income while the other parent stayed home which was the norm in the 70s.  Its just not a possible feet these days without crippling debt or government aid and thats is just a nice way to say mandatory charity fOR the tax payer.   im just not about that whole" back in the day life was harder but better" becasue i dont buy it. :D

In the 70’s it was a struggle for many as there was no tax credits and little family allowance,but people then didn’t expect to have so many things,we didn’t have a phone in the house or proper heating.A car was not for everyone,a man would cycle or walk to his work.Houses were not affordable to everyone,in 1972 a decent small house would have cost £6,000 in many places,but more like £10,000 near London.Wages for working class were about £1,000 a year before tax,so not enough for a mortgage to buy a house in many cases. Houses today are 25x the price of then in certain areas and wages almost £25,000 too.Luckily today interest rates are far lower helping the buyers.

The copper plating makes precious little difference when it's only a few microns thick.

The fact that the zeniths pattern well is more likely down to the lower velocities than anything else. The copper plating is probably a mix of marketing and cost cutting - copper plated pellets look beautiful, and it's far cheaper to coat your pellets with a bit of copper than it is to bump the antimony up to 5% to get genuinely hard shot. 

So, unless you think the price that you're being given is a good price for some slow, soft shot 30g 6's then I'd ignore the branding and get something else.

9 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

I found that they patterned as if the gun was choked one degree of choke tighter. 

Agreed!

Speed requires pressure, pressure is the enemy of good patterns as the higher the pressure, the higher the antinomy % required to harden the shot to withstand the chamber pressure which causes most of the damage to pellets and without which hardening, pressure causes poor patterns with lots of fliers.

Low pressure relative to the antimony % gives Nice, tight, even patterns, which shows up as a lack of runners or injured birds, and game just seems to get poleaxed in mid air.