I0W round the island sailing race tomorrow.

DUNKS

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

I’ll wave when they come past the back of the Wight 😊👍

they have a bit of wind forecast SSW 15 to 26 mph so it’ll be a fairly fast race 

any idea of the class he’s in ?

Yep boat name spoofer class 8B

I’ve just crossed Arreton downs(15.30) with a great view to the east and Sandown bay. Loads of racing yachts right across the bay with a favourable wind, quite a sight! Getting closer to home and as drop down from Ashley downs into Ryde I can see the faster bigger boats coming back up the Solent. Not the fastest of days but exciting sailing I bet!

I know, especially racing! Did this race many years ago with very little wind from the off. By the time we reached the Needles there was no wind. Skipper decided to catch a similar sized boat not too far ahead of us. After a hour we had him. They were at anchor enjoying a lovely lunch! We fired up the donkey and like most others decided to motor the course home. By the time we reached Bembridge the race committee boat was in sight indicating a much shortened course. Even so, not many finishes under sail that year. Very long day.

1 hour ago, Down South said:

I know, especially racing! Did this race many years ago with very little wind from the off. By the time we reached the Needles there was no wind. Skipper decided to catch a similar sized boat not too far ahead of us. After a hour we had him. They were at anchor enjoying a lovely lunch! We fired up the donkey and like most others decided to motor the course home. By the time we reached Bembridge the race committee boat was in sight indicating a much shortened course. Even so, not many finishes under sail that year. Very long day.

🤣🤣🤣 that made me laugh. I am sat in the marina at Brixham. Wind has just quietened down for the day (40 knots for morning). Waiting for settled weather to head South. 

I use a free app on my phone whereby I can identify the ships, their cargo and destination etc. mainly seen on the North Kent coast which I look at when on my dog walking along the cliffs. This can be used to locate craft anywhere in the world. However, I notice that this also tracks and identifies small sailing craft.  I assume, rightly or wrongly, that this is done via their SSR (small ship`s register), but I maybe completely wrong and don`t profess to understand how the technology works, but it`s very interesting nonetheless.

This would have been useful for Dunks to monitor his son`s progress on the IOW race.

I can see hundreds of boats milling in the Solent and it would take an age to click on them all to pick out `Spoofer` as many are in harbours or on moorings, but during the race it would have been easier to identify.

OB