A bit late for maize?

On 27/07/2022 at 00:44, jall25 said:

Next year maybe have a look at Chicory Jim - yes the deer love it - but it has tap roots and for these drier times is doing us proud up here

regards

The meadow adjacent to one of my covers was drilled a few years ago with a mix of stuff (supposedly "sheep superfood") which has a fairly high amount of chicory in it, mixed with plantain, clover and a couple of different grasses.

After being allowed to grow, the chicory, although it looks dense from a distance, when you get in there it's quite sparse.  Annoyingly the plantain holds dew on its leaves and gets your trousers soaking wet walking through it on a September morning but none of it works as a holding or flushing cover for the birds.  They just don't like being in it.  I have to trample a path down by foot or with the car to provide a passage across it from pen to cover.

By bizarre coincidence as I came by this morning I noticed the chicory has burst into flower today!

This is how the mix looks, it will not really get much more dense than this except the low lying plantain that soaks your feet and trouser legs!

49D949B5-A32B-4C12-8C0F-6C8241CD08B5.jpeg

A0029535-7C25-4701-834C-BCD71CB65CFB.jpeg

Edited by Jim Neal