Cooking ( Chef ) Question

billytheghillie

Could be any number of issues from poor quality chicken to rather nebulous instructions being too open to interpretation, eg:

'Cut the chicken into pieces'. How big are your pieces? 'Cook in a medium heat' The heat of individual hobs can vary greatly so one hob's medium is another's lower. or higher...

If the pan was too hot or too cold then that could do it, or if it was cooked for too long, even if that was the length called for.

Some info about the actual instructions would help give more of an idea?

I always flash fry chicken ( in whatever form ) so it is browned initially. 
Rubbery chicken can be common ( it doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with it ) but it often happens if there’s a high water content. 
Throw in some soy sauce or Boujoin and it usually turns out ok. 

35 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Could be any number of issues from poor quality chicken to rather nebulous instructions being too open to interpretation, eg:

'Cut the chicken into pieces'. How big are your pieces? 'Cook in a medium heat' The heat of individual hobs can vary greatly so one hob's medium is another's lower. or higher...

If the pan was too hot or too cold then that could do it, or if it was cooked for too long, even if that was the length called for.

Some info about the actual instructions would help give more of an idea?

fry/ brown chicken for 3-4 mins, add small spice jar, lid, cook for 2 mins, add sauce and cook until chicken is tender.

I use a technique the Chinese takeaway's use that is called ''velveting'' if I'm either using the chicken for a Chinese or Indian curry. I don't go the full hog, but it is only a matter of coating your diced chicken in cornflour (I use a sieve to sprinkle over a couple of teaspoons) and then mix it together and then blanch in off the boil water for a few minutes. I use a Wok to do this. It's basically pre cooking your chicken before using it in the curry/stir-fry.  The full technique involves using rice wine vinegar, but I don't bother with this. The chicken usually is soft and tender as a result.

If I was to plan a chicken curry I would buy a chicken in a bag from Aldi, cook that, eat what I wanted from it with normal vegs then plenty left over even after two placings, make up my own curry sauce although my wife does bring home at tomato sauce mix in a jar from Aldi and that goes well with chicken. Never had a rubbery chicken purchased/prepared in this way.