Thames Valley Police Suspending Firearms GRANT Applications

Dekers

Firearms Licensing <FirearmsLicensing@thamesvalley.police.uk>
To:
  • You

Tue 21/06/2022 12:12

Thank you for your email.

Please ensure that you read the below advice as your email may not be responded to depending on the type of enquiry:

Grant Applications

We have currently suspended the grant application process...........................................

Please sign up to our TVP email alert (firearms licensing) group for more updates on when we will re-open our grant process.

Note - We will not be responding to emails relating to grant enquiries there is a genuine vocational, professional or livelihood need for certificates

19 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

This needs challenging, if only there was an organisation that claims to represent shooting and is sitting on a fighting fund 

This was the last response from BASC on the subject..

First time grant applications for shotgun and firearm certificates

Some police forces are not accepting first-time grant applications because of difficulties they may be having with carrying out home visits during local and national Covid-19 restrictions.

However, some police forces have been adapting to the Covid-19 pandemic and are conducting home visits remotely using video conferencing calls on mobile phones.

BASC does not want to see anyone with an interest in shooting disadvantaged and we are encouraging police forces to adopt digital solutions to carry out home visits in order to fulfil their statutory duties for firearms licensing.

If you are a BASC member and are experiencing a delay with a first-time grant application please email firearms@basc.org.uk for advice and assistance.

Not much fighting talk there..:unhappy:

3 hours ago, old&#x27;un said:

This was the last response from BASC on the subject..

First time grant applications for shotgun and firearm certificates

Some police forces are not accepting first-time grant applications because of difficulties they may be having with carrying out home visits during local and national Covid-19 restrictions.

However, some police forces have been adapting to the Covid-19 pandemic and are conducting home visits remotely using video conferencing calls on mobile phones.

BASC does not want to see anyone with an interest in shooting disadvantaged and we are encouraging police forces to adopt digital solutions to carry out home visits in order to fulfil their statutory duties for firearms licensing.

If you are a BASC member and are experiencing a delay with a first-time grant application please email firearms@basc.org.uk for advice and assistance.

Not much fighting talk there..

They're doing there own bit to reduce gun ownership.

5 hours ago, London Best said:

ILLEGALLY, by refusing to do their job!

I quite agree. While I’ve no idea of the legality issue, they are there to provide a service; it’s NOT an option but part of their job. 
They have resisted every attempt and suggestion of outsourcing licensing, so they should be getting on with their job. 

Have they possibly had a computer glitch? As the website was down yesterday for online applications I wanted to do a notification for a recent purchase so found this out. Its now up again today and out of curiosity I  tried the online application for a grant section and it appears to be operational i.e. letting you progress an new application. There is not notification they are not accepting new grants.

I was surprised when I read this as TVP have been really efficient on variations recently. Also a couple of weeks ago a friend at my clay club mentioned another prospective member who had been round with us a couple of times had put in for his SGC and had heard from the FEO to do a home visit within two weeks. 

When Hampshire suspended grants I contacted BASC.

They actually offered a solution, but needed a volunteer. Essentially, the wording of the law states that unless there is a specific reason then shotgun grants should be approved. They wanted someone to apply via post, have their application returned and then BASC would take the constabulary to court as breaching conditions. They would pay all the fees but the applicant would be required to attend court etc as the ‘Guinea pig’. This would then set a precedent going forwards.

I opted not to be Guinea pig on the advice of an ex police officer who knew Hampshire constabulary firearms team. Maybe one of you might be suited in this instance?