Stoeger xm 1

gmm243

Me again!!

Having been shafted in two of the Air Arms rifles I had my sights on I am now back on looking more advice. I know this is probably more questions than anyone has ever asked before buying a gun but as I said before the choices within budget are few and far between here.  I do appreciate you taking your time to reply.

I was in the local RFD last week and he has 3 of the above rifles and was really singing their praises.Was this just sales chat or are they as good as he claimed?50/60 shots in 22,cheap to buy and come with all you need plus they are accurate. Seems to good to be true?

Have looked on line and can not see an awful lot of reviews on them.

Thanks again for your time.

12 minutes ago, gmm243 said:

Me again!!

Having been shafted in two of the Air Arms rifles I had my sights on I am now back on looking more advice. I know this is probably more questions than anyone has ever asked before buying a gun but as I said before the choices within budget are few and far between here.  I do appreciate you taking your time to reply.

I was in the local RFD last week and he has 3 of the above rifles and was really singing their praises.Was this just sales chat or are they as good as he claimed?50/60 shots in 22,cheap to buy and come with all you need plus they are accurate. Seems to good to be true?

Have looked on line and can not see an awful lot of reviews on them.

Thanks again for your time.

Hello, I have only been looking on line and there are a few reviews, stoeger are part of the Beretta group, there not bad looking but as always the proof is in the reliability buying from new, you don't want to buy one and find it having to go back to importer every month , even with warranty, they seem better made than the Chinese SMK cheapies, my advice is to try one if you near RFDs ok with that, £300 for the kit better than a Gamo, just make sure you can get a refund if in warranty, Air Arms are loosing the plot and even having their rifles sent back, oh make sure you can buy spare seal sets if the XM 1s a keeper, keep us posted, 

Hi,there were three new guns in the shop when I looked at week.They seemed well thought out and being part of the Beretta group they should be of high quality.Had no chance to try one out and looks like I won't until I buy as our laws on borrowing guns etc are very dated.

If all the reports and the sales chat are true then there should be few issues with them and for a lot less money than some other guns.

Will keep you posted

19 hours ago, sportsbob said:

The action used in the XM1 looks remarkably similar to the SMK PR900 which is made in China.

Hello, have to agree, except the guage is on the front of air tube, it looks a standard type action and tube with some nice extras added , for the money as a kit it's very good, 

6 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, have to agree, except the guage is on the front of air tube, it looks a standard type action and tube with some nice extras added , for the money as a kit it's very good, 

The new PR900 also has the gauge on the end of the tube and available in wood , synthetic or a tactical stock.

1 hour ago, sportsbob said:

The new PR900 also has the gauge on the end of the tube and available in wood , synthetic or a tactical stock.

Hello, oh thanks Bob, I had one in 22 that I let the farm family borrow for garden ratting, I might look at one in 177 with synthetic stock, any links as I could on find in wood stock,

On 25/06/2022 at 16:44, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I have only been looking on line and there are a few reviews, stoeger are part of the Beretta group, there not bad looking but as always the proof is in the reliability buying from new, you don't want to buy one and find it having to go back to importer every month , even with warranty, they seem better made than the Chinese SMK cheapies, my advice is to try one if you near RFDs ok with that, £300 for the kit better than a Gamo, just make sure you can get a refund if in warranty, Air Arms are loosing the plot and even having their rifles sent back, oh make sure you can buy spare seal sets if the XM 1s a keeper, keep us posted, 

"Better made than the Chinese SMK cheapies" I would say that's made by the same company ie Snowpeak. Adding the word Beretta to the recipe is no more than a sales ploy, I'm guessing that nobody in the Beretta sales team will have a clue about these guns.

For £395 you can get a new P15, read the reviews, or bide your time while saving a little more and open up more choices, dont buy a gun simply because it's available, buy the gun you want based on what you want it for and how much you think you should pay for a tool that may last a short time or a lifetime.

30 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

"Better made than the Chinese SMK cheapies" I would say that's made by the same company ie Snowpeak. Adding the word Beretta to the recipe is no more than a sales ploy, I'm guessing that nobody in the Beretta sales team will have a clue about these guns.

For £395 you can get a new P15, read the reviews, or bide your time while saving a little more and open up more choices, dont buy a gun simply because it's available, buy the gun you want based on what you want it for and how much you think you should pay for a tool that may last a short time or a lifetime.

Hello, I get where you coming from Bruno, I was just looking at a 177 albeit a PCP or HW 99S just for Ferrel's and magpies, etc, as it happens I sent an email to Essex guns what you mention before, no reply, ps hope your doing ok

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I get where you coming from Bruno, I was just looking at a 177 albeit a PCP or HW 99S just for Ferrel's and magpies, etc, as it happens I sent an email to Essex guns what you mention before, no reply, ps hope your doing ok

Give her a ring, Helen, she's normally busy and I think internet connection where she is, is not good.

From a gunsmiths point of view I like them.

They make me money to help pay for Gogo juice for my bike.

Having fixed a few I got asked by a local range owner about them as hire guns.

I advised him agents them.

Main faults were leaking inlets and the cocking bolts loosening and snapping.

He took no notice.

He bought 3.

Within a fortnight all 3 had failed on multiple occasions with the faults I had warned him about. 

Oh well. Some people just won't listen.

I bought one a few weeks ago in .177, £275 which includes a 3-9x40 scope, a moderator which works really well and 2 magazines.  I bought an air pump on Amazon for £45, so for less than £330 with a tin of pellets I was up an running.  I haven't shot air rifles since the 70s so I didn't want to spend a lot of money until I decided whether it was for me.  The scope is clear and bright and holds zero perfectly so is much better than I expected.  It is a Snowpeak rifle, basically the latest regulated SMK PR900W in a synthetic stock.  I am using RWS Superfields and at 15 yards (longest range in my garden), it is spot on.  It is a fairly small reservoir, but with a 200 bar fill I can put 8 mags (72 pellets) through it before it hits 100 bar.  The magazines that came with it feed well, but the 2 extra mags I bought weren't as good and needed a bit of fettling.  Too soon to tell how reliable it will be but has to be one of the cheapest ways into PCP air guns

Ok here it is.

The XM1 is made by snowpeak in China and it is the same action as the current SMK cheapie PR900 with the exception of the adjustable trigger reach, this will be implemented on the next batch of PR900`s.

The XM1 bullpup is a cheaper version of the Snowpeak P15 the barrel and other components used in the XM1 bullpup are of a lower grade than the ones used on the P15.