Cracked concrete subfloor

JTaylor91

Looking for some advice on a cracked concrete floor. We were planning on getting the kitchen tiled however there’s a big crack on what used to be the dining room side. No other room has any cracks it’s just isolated to this area. Is it a dig it all up job or can it be repaired? The tiler doesn’t like the idea of tiling on it. I believe the old central heating system must of had a leak at some point as all the old pipes that were set in the concrete have been cut and new pipes fitted externally. Could it be that the leak was under the dining room and caused this?

D6B35618-3AF2-41C6-996C-A43517168786.jpeg

1365CD5B-7576-4B22-A0B9-51F5DD2EC6EF.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Ooops, don't like the look of that.  Has to have been quite a bit of movement to get a crack that wide.  How old is the house?

Built mid 80s I believe. What makes me think it isn’t subsidence is the living room next door has zero cracks at all. It’s literally just what was the dining room. I could be wrong though. As Ditchman says the right side does look lower.

Cracks  are common in concrete floors in houses and are usually  not something to worry about .but those have also shifted level having dropped .which suggests that  there is some subsidence or even worse heave  going on. I'd have it professionally  inspected . 

11 minutes ago, JTaylor91 said:

None at all

well thats good news anyway....

im certainaly not a person to advise you....but i would gunthat part of the floor up....have a gander at it see what the make up is.....wacker plate the whole area....then boots and braces...get an electric cement mixer and mix up a load of cement slurry and pour it all over the floor and let it soak in....then lay and screed over new concrete to level

ULTRASTU gives good advice

I carry out domestic insurance repairs and see this quite often. It may be slight movement to the structure of your building, but only seen on very close inspection, ie hairline cracks. But with the obvious cracks internally, I'd assume any external cracks to be evident also.

Could also be a poorly installed sub base beneath the slab ?

Is there insulation beneath the slab ?

Method of original concrete floor should incorporate insulation beneath and 25mm minimum around the perimeter to cater for expansion and contraction of the slab and surrounding structure. Maybe this is the cause of that cracking ? Again, something I see often !

Edited by JKD

Are you in a clay area? 

Having come this far you might as well whack a bit up and have a gander. Report back when you do, I’m intrigued.

I’d like £5 on no heave boards and voids wrong.

If you do a historic aerial photo search of your gaff, what was there before (have a look at getmapping.com).

1 hour ago, JTaylor91 said:

Thanks for the replies everyone. Not in a clay area that I know of the river Trent is about 500m from me though. I’m going to dig it all out and get it re laid. I will add some pictures when it’s up probably be a few weeks.

great stuff...........look forward to seeing whatthe prob was..:good: