Young Ones Are Getting Out In Force .

marsh man

Yesterday was a cloudy day with a very strong wind and not really a bad day for shooting although at times the wind got the better of me and made some shots far to difficult for an aging body , well that's my excuse .

I spend most afternoons looking now with the odd one out decoying , I had spent a fair bit of time going from field to field without seeing any decent numbers on any of them , yes we have got Pigeons but as already mentioned they are well and truly scattered about .

Saturday afternoon is always a shooting day unless it is raining hard or foggy and after looking around during the week I more or less knew where I was going , partly because I was protecting the Peas , being able to drive to my hide position and being under a flight line where the Pigeons were going out to the various corn fields .

My set up was two dead Pigeons on floaters , the magnet with the arms fully extended and a dozen flock shells laying on top of the Peas , this week I didn't make the same mistake by having the set up to close and the nearest decoy was a good 25 / 30 yds away , the first Pigeon came from nowhere and caught me half asleep and ended up going up the tree without having a shot fired at him , or her , the next one I did see coming across the field and gave me the first one of the day which was a youngster , this carried on off and on for the next three hours , never fast and furious but getting the odd shot from time to time ,

My dog had to work very hard to find the long ones in the high Peas and we finished at dead on 5pm with 21 Pigeons and all found , out of the 21 I had four fairly young and another good size Pigeon without the neck band , so nearly a quarter of the bag was made up with young ones , this might be that the older ones have got more sense and keep well away from two pigeons going around in circles , still it was a nice bit of sport and tomorrow I will be looking to see where the next bit of sport is going to come from , hope YOU found a few as well.

All the best    MM

Nice report there John. Thanks for posting.

Pleased that you’re managing to get some.

Bit quiet here as we have no peas, so just waiting for the rape to be cut. The pigeons are showing interest in the milky wheat and also the rape drying well with a few dropping in where they can. Looking at the rape, it shouldn’t be too long before that’s harvested. 
OB

21 hours ago, 7daysinaweek said:

MM

Glad to hear it had cooled down for you after your last outing being a 'hot spell.'

Great report.

Morning 7diaw   As you say , it have'd cooled down a bit but it is still warm , yesterday it got up to the mid 20s inland , when I say inland , I am talking about 8 miles from the coast :lol:

2 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Nice report there John. Thanks for posting.

Pleased that you’re managing to get some.

Bit quiet here as we have no peas, so just waiting for the rape to be cut. The pigeons are showing interest in the milky wheat and also the rape drying well with a few dropping in where they can. Looking at the rape, it shouldn’t be too long before that’s harvested. 
OB

Morning Chris .... Hope you are keeping well , Yes we are lucky in having a lot of Peas to go on at a time when most crops are at a stage that are no interest to Pigeons , on the way home yesterday we stopped at a Pea field that should be cut in the next few day , I grabbed a arm full of stalks so Ann could pick the pods off while I walked the dog around the field , several Pigeons got out of the trees and the Peas were going flat , this could be a nice little shoot for someone and a mate of mine ( Alan ) normally keep an eye on all the Pea fields this farm have got , I can go on myself but I have got enough to look after that is a lot nearer to my house .

Our Peas are changing colour and will be combined for seed in about a months time and will give some shooting for the next few weeks , we have got Pigeons going on the grain crops but up to now we haven't got any laid and the numbers going on any one field is not that great , our Winter barley is looking ripe and this time next month we should be shooting on the stubble , then it will be the turn for the Winter wheat , a few fields of Rye , Rape and then the Spring drilled grain crops , so all in all a very nice time of the year to be out and about :good:, oh and the Peas we de podded yesterday are included in tonight's tea , like TESCO'S slogan , Every little help

Nice shooting MM- the conditions you described are indeed good for shooting- and 21 is a good day out in my book.

I love it when you can get the car to the hide - and I have on occasion not shot as many as I could if the walk back to the vehicle is a little bit too far for my ageing  body .it’s been a mild winter and fairly dry spring so the pigeons will be reproduced at a high rate.

I currently have a wood pigeons nest in my garden with 2 eggs in it.