FAC application....

jan8p

Hi all,

Quick bit of advice required please!

I'm a current SGC holder (not that it matters I suppose..) as I started off with clays and then entered the practical shotgun world.  I'm part way through my probation to a HO club as I fancy a .22 rifle for both practical mini rifle, gallery shooting and a S1 shotgun.

I've just been speaking to a farmer who I know who has offered me permission to shoot on some of his land with a .22 (just at targets).  Is it worth me applying for my FAC now for a .22 with him down as permission, or is it worthwhile just waiting to become a full member of the club and then apply with support of the club too (and for other guns)?  Reason being is my force's turnaround on grants is 6-9 months so if I can apply a few months early before I become a full member then it cuts a few months off my wait time potentially.

Pretty new to the FAC world so advice welcome!

Personally I’d apply now, given you have land permission, but as your ‘good reason’, I’d specify pest control rather than target shooting.

In my experience, pest control is more likely to be granted rather than ad hoc plinking outside HO approved ranges. 

42 minutes ago, Scully said:

Personally I’d apply now, given you have land permission, but as your ‘good reason’, I’d specify pest control rather than target shooting.

In my experience, pest control is more likely to be granted rather than ad hoc plinking outside HO approved ranges. 

I don't see it being granted for target shooting other than as a member of a HO club on approved ranges.

And if he doesn't have pest control permission, I certainly wouldn't be applying on that grounds.

I doubt they will appove his application for target shooting on the land even as a member of a club. Mine has specific conditions of shooting as a member of a club on approved ranges, with appropriate insurance in place.

Edited by Newbie to this

Thanks Scully.

Interesting idea RE pest control :)  To be honest I could ask him and I'm sure he'd approve pest control also.

@Newbie to this is your restriction to approved ranges just because you haven't got permission and asked for your ticket to be opened to your approved land?

Edited by jan8p

16 minutes ago, Scully said:

+1

30 minutes ago, jan8p said:

@Newbie to this is your restriction to approved ranges just because you haven't got permission and asked for your ticket to be opened to your approved land?

Possibly, I don’t 100% know for certain.

But my understanding is that target shooting is to be done on approved ranges and as a member of a club.

Under section 44 of the 1997 Act, a person whose only reason for possessing a rifle or muzzle-loading pistol is for target shooting must be a member of a target shooting club approved by the Home Office or the Scottish Government Safer Communities Directorate. They are subject to the condition that the rifle or muzzleloading pistol is only to be used for target shooting. The applicant is not confined to shooting only under the auspices of that club and many applicants will wish to shoot with other clubs. However, membership of a particular club will generally be the core of the applicant’s “good reason” and is likely to be the focus of much of their shooting activity. In some cases however, the “good reason” for certain firearms may be activities in a club other than the one nominated club. Long barrelled pistols, long-range pistols, shot guns falling within section 1 of the 1968 Act and full bore rifles designed or adapted to fire ammunition capable of discharging projectiles at muzzle energies greater than 10,000 foot-pounds do not fall within the three Home Office categories of approval for target shooting clubs, and therefore they cannot take advantage of the free club certificate issued to Home Office approved clubs. They can, however, be held on an individual’s firearm certificate as long as they have the facilities to use the firearms for target shooting. Long-barrelled revolvers, long-range pistols, shot guns falling within section 1 of the 1968 Act and full bore rifles designed or adapted to fire ammunition capable of discharging projectiles at muzzle energies greater than 10,000 foot-pounds may not be borrowed at a range for use by other club members.  

An applicant should have access to appropriate ranges for the types of firearm concerned. The National Small-bore Rifle Association and the National Rifle Association (or similar organisations) will have inspection and approval systems in place for ranges run by their club members. Independent assessments are also viable.  

Firearms_Guide_17122021.pdf

Section 12 of the above guide covers it.

Edited by Newbie to this

ISTR target shooting on farmland isn't acceptable as it could lead to persistent shots causing a noise nuisance, so yes request vermin control and zeroing for rabbits rather than fox in some counties as fox is not always justification for rimfire - and a sound moderator (good reason: to reduce disturbance to neighbours and livestock)