Pilgrimage

Doc Holliday

Morning all,

It's been a while since I was on here last but, in my absence, I have been mulling over doing a pilgrimage (or a long walk, whichever way you want to look at it). I'm not a religious man, as such, more 'Spiritual' I guess, but the thought of going on a very long walk has held some appeal for me ever since I heard about the Camino de Santiago some years back. I think the BBC did it on the run up to Easter one year with their program of the same name. 

Before my knees started giving me some real grief last May, this was on bucket list, and I would still like to do it. I know you can break it down into sections but I like the thought of doing something 'Epic' like this just to see what I'd get from it. With knees in mind, I started looking at walks closer to home and had in mind The South Downs Way, some 100k or so (Winchester to Eastbourne). This is still on my radar as I love the Sussex Downlands but I recently came across the British Pilgrimage Trust and learned that the original Pilgrims Way has recently been revived as a British 'version' of the Camino, running from Winchester Cathedral to Canterbury Cathedral. The only thing that bothers me is that it seems to follow some of the M4, M25 & M20, which kind of goes against part of my reasons for doing it, to escape the hustle & bustle of modern day life and experience some quality solitude. I know parts of the North Downs quite well as well as local sections of the Pilgrims Way in West Kent so I am fairly familiar with what to expect.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has had experience of any Pilgrimage they've undertook, which route they walked and what experience (good or bad) they got from it. 

Thanks in advance

I do a fair bit of long distance walking. 

More in my youth .though I've not done a pilgrimage. I do like the idea though.

Why not make your own route say from Winchester via  Salisbury to dorchester and finish on portland Island near Weymouth. 

Pick the most scenic route and places of interest  .

Not exactly a pilgrimage, but my shooting companion and his girlfriend have just started planning to walk the Welsh coastal path. They have to do it in sections due to work and family commitments, and after completing local areas are really enjoying it. Like yourself they want to take in the solitude and embrace natures sights and sounds. They have bought a map to plan their way on unfamiliar parts and given themselves no time limit.

If I were able to do it I would give myself two rules. 1 - no mobile phone calls apart from emergencies and 2 - plenty of photographs to re live the experience at later dates.

They used to be keen on jogging but the old knees interfered with that.

Good luck to you whatever you work out.

Should you consider the Santiago de Compostela the specialty bookshop of The Confraternity of St James, London is a valuable source of routes and topography of the sections along The Way. They have a website. When Mrs B retired she and a friend NOT for religious beliefs did the routes along Northern Spain to Santiago. And, subsequently, France pilgrim routes to link with the Camino. Then Portugal to Santiago and, also, Assisi to Rome (but she would not recommend this pilgrims route) They stuck to the spirit of the walks by carrying their own backpacks. Very therapeutic I am told. It was for me too. She was away for weeks………😂😂😂

3 minutes ago, oowee said:

I walked Birmingham to Stratford drinking a pint in every pub on route. It was very spiritual at times. It took 3 days only 1 night in a tent. 😁

Presumably the last mile on your hands and knees (or in a wheelbarrow)