Goustos

Scully

Anyone tried these meals? 
My daughter has bought these occasionally for some time now, and always raved at how good they are. 
Not really my thing admittedly ….or so I thought. 
She double clicked on an order ( my OH once did it on an Asda shop during lockdown! 😀 ) and didn’t realise until it was delivered, so I bought them off her. 
I really enjoy cooking anyhow, but sometimes you just struggle with deciding what to make, and these recipes are a doddle as all ingredients are supplied. 
Highly recommended. 

8 minutes ago, Scully said:

Anyone tried these meals? 
My daughter has bought these occasionally for some time now, and always raved at how good they are. 
Not really my thing admittedly ….or so I thought. 
She double clicked on an order ( my OH once did it on an Asda shop during lockdown! 😀 ) and didn’t realise until it was delivered, so I bought them off her. 
I really enjoy cooking anyhow, but sometimes you just struggle with deciding what to make, and these recipes are a doddle as all ingredients are supplied. 
Highly recommended. 

My son is a fan and I have been impressed when I tried them. 

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Haven't a clue what your talking about. Full explanation and photos please.

You buy a meal or meals in a box, broken down into its component parts, and included is a recipe for that meal. 
Every ingredient you need to make that meal is included; you just follow the recipe. Simples. 🙂

44 minutes ago, Scully said:

You buy a meal or meals in a box, broken down into its component parts, and included is a recipe for that meal. 
Every ingredient you need to make that meal is included; you just follow the recipe. Simples. 🙂

OH!!   I see.  Prefer to see the individual items and choose. As said you never know what is in the box. Honestly can't see the point other than laziness.

4 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

OH!!   I see.  Prefer to see the individual items and choose. As said you never know what is in the box. Honestly can't see the point other than laziness.

You know exactly what is in the box mate as you have to go on the website and choose what you want.
My wife gets them every week as it suits our situation (she works in a high flying banking job in London and I work long hours) I wouldn’t say there was anything lazy about it, it also prevents huge amounts of food waste and buying unnecessary products at the supermarket so saves money too. * just my opinion obviously * 

Hah Ha!  Now someone explains.  You do get to choose at a distance but as previously said the result can be disappointing when the food is below standard.  No, I still prefer choosing at the shelf then if it is below standard it is my fault.  We don't waste any food, it gets tidied up the following day as a fry up, curry or whatever and if in excess it gets frozen for a future meal. I was brought up in the old days when it was almost a crime to waste food. My grandmother had a saying that the only thing we waste from a pig is it's squeal.    When my mother would come home with two oranges and she would put aside two eggs for a lady down the road not as lucky as us.  So I will not be lectured on wasting food because I prefer to buy it of the shelf or over the counter.

3 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Hah Ha!  Now someone explains.  You do get to choose at a distance but as previously said the result can be disappointing when the food is below standard.  No, I still prefer choosing at the shelf then if it is below standard it is my fault.  We don't waste any food, it gets tidied up the following day as a fry up, curry or whatever and if in excess it gets frozen for a future meal. I was brought up in the old days when it was almost a crime to waste food. My grandmother had a saying that the only thing we waste from a pig is it's squeal.    When my mother would come home with two oranges and she would put aside two eggs for a lady down the road not as lucky as us.  So I will not be lectured on wasting food because I prefer to buy it of the shelf or over the counter.

Walker please forgive me if you thought it was a lecture it certainly was not. I grew up in a household of ten, we where taught the same as you with regards to wasting food, what I was referring to was the modern day culture of wasting food/buying to much and it going to waste certainly not you personally! We still shop in the conventional way for other meals as the gousto only covers 4 nights. The wife will happily fill my game freezer with bargain steak/ chickens/ beef wellingtons and any other bargain she can her hands on. 

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

As already said, you know exactly what’s in the box because you choose which meals you want. The ingredients are listed. 
Rather than being anything to do with laziness, they serve a purpose for certain individuals. 
There is no waste because rather than having to buy certain ingredients like for example, a full jar or bottle of a speciality sauce or seasoning, which may not be used again, the recipe includes only the correct amount for that one meal. 
I’ll admit there’s a bit of packaging, but that applies to most food stuffs we buy anyhow. 

51 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

she must have had loads of money to waste the Squeal from a pig..............we used to bag them up and sell them to British Leyland for their brakes....

8 hours ago, Spr1985 said:

Walker please forgive me if you thought it was a lecture it certainly was not. I grew up in a household of ten, we where taught the same as you with regards to wasting food, what I was referring to was the modern day culture of wasting food/buying to much and it going to waste certainly not you personally! We still shop in the conventional way for other meals as the gousto only covers 4 nights. The wife will happily fill my game freezer with bargain steak/ chickens/ beef wellingtons and any other bargain she can her hands on. 

Good to know your 99.9% normal.   I am probably an old grump but buying from my local butcher etc keeps my local shops open. Our high street is now a row of charity shops wherehas you could walk down and choose your produce which was probably locally produced and not flown half way round the world.    That produce in the boxes you have no idea of it's providence wherehas even buying my steak from Aldi I know that Ashfield a British firm have produced it.     On second thoughts, I AM an old grump, not perfect but seldom wrong.

8 hours ago, ditchman said:

she must have had loads of money to waste the Squeal from a pig..............we used to bag them up and sell them to British Leyland for their brakes....

😀👍

If you subscribe you get 30% off the first 4 boxes, then you just unsubscribe. As a student my daughter learned to shop canny, and if there’s only two of you there’s plenty of food. I like my food, and I wasn’t left feeling hungry! 🙂

OH and I really enjoyed the Smoked Basa Pea Risotto we had last night. 

I had a look from the link above.  The recipes look nice - but I didn't seem to be able to find anything about the prices unless`I actually started into the 'ordering procedure'.

If the site isn't clear about the prices up front, then it's not for me.

7 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I had a look from the link above.  The recipes look nice - but I didn't seem to be able to find anything about the prices unless`I actually started into the 'ordering procedure'.

If the site isn't clear about the prices up front, then it's not for me.

Fair enough. OH found prices last night but I’m not sure how far into the site she went. 
My daughter ( and her generation in particular ) just delve into online shops etc, having no inbred mistrust of the internet. They just use it as a shop; taking what they want or need and ignoring the rest. 

19 minutes ago, London Best said:

Sorry, I can’t see how those two statements can go together!

It’s smoked fish, peas and rice! 

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Smoked Basa Pea Risotto ????????????????

Now that has put me off completely🤣 could be a lot of wastage there.

There wasn’t any. Lish!