ATA

Sean Richo

Was looking at some ATA o/u at a clay ground the other day. They had a good few for sale. The man in the shop said that the actions are made of steel now I was always under the impression that the actions where of alloy construction can anyone shed a light on this please?

16 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Not all (infact most ) stainless steel isn't magnetic as doesn't contain iron .

Nice to know it isn't just as me that occasionally drops a howler.

Stainless steel is 75% iron, 25% other elements such as chromium 12%, carbon, vandium, nickel etc etc depending on  type and proposed use.

The reason some stainless steel isn't magnetic is the heat treat during production which can demagnetise the metal, but if for instance it is later cold worked it can regain some magnetism.

Fair enough .hold my hand up. I Got that wrong. 

Interesting why some steels are magnetic and others not .

For instance  my cutlery set (knives and forks  etc )  the knives are magnetic the spoons and forks not . All came together as a wedding gift many years ago .and are printed on the side the steel compound (can't remember what it is now ) 

My pocket knife .the blade is magnetic .the screws are not  and neither is the pocket clip . ?? 

I guess my statement,    to use a magnet to decide if some thing is stainless steel or not , is flawed , 

still holds up .

1 hour ago, Ultrastu said:

Fair enough .hold my hand up. I Got that wrong. 

Interesting why some steels are magnetic and others not .

For instance  my cutlery set (knives and forks  etc )  the knives are magnetic the spoons and forks not . All came together as a wedding gift many years ago .and are printed on the side the steel compound (can't remember what it is now ) 

My pocket knife .the blade is magnetic .the screws are not  and neither is the pocket clip . ?? 

I guess my statement,    to use a magnet to decide if some thing is stainless steel or not , is flawed , 

still holds up .

TBH I don’t think stainless is much used for gun actions. It’s usually a form of case hardened steel. 

Re ATA guns. My only experience with them was witnessing a malfunction on a shooting ground - second barrel wouldn’t fire. Brand new gun. Could have been a one off……but there again….?

23 hours ago, Sean Richo said:

The man in the shop said that the actions are made of steel now I was always under the impression that the actions where of alloy construction can anyone shed a light on this please?

Per the importer's website:

The SP over & under shotgun is offered with either a standard steel or a lightweight aluminium alloy receiver

So for instance, I believe the ladies version has an ally receiver whereas my bog-standard 28" sporter is steel.

2 hours ago, Fellside said:

. Brand new gun. Could have been a one off……but there again….?

Owned one since 2018, no issues so far. (grasps wood firmly)

7 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Per the importer's website:

So for instance, I believe the ladies version has an ally receiver whereas my bog-standard 28" sporter is steel.

Owned one since 2018, no issues so far. (grasps wood firmly)

Hopefully you won’t have any issues, if it’s  been going strong for 4 yrs, should be alright. The chap I met had only just bought his. 

• 2 weeks later...

A local shooting ground had a fleet of them as club guns and the owner reckons that they must have had around 30,000 - 40,000 rounds through each of them in just over two years. If I remember correctly he had a snapped ejector in one of them but thats about it. They are rarely cleaned and still look and shoot as new.