Liver

Dave at kelton

Due to its high iron content I have not eaten liver for for health reasons in over three years. Anyway the management decided it was time we had it for tea, doubtless driven in part by my probably being worth more dead than alive. Anyway with £1.06 of Aldis best lambs liver she served up a plate of liver, bacon, creamy mash, carrots and thick onion gravy. Bloody lovely I only wish it could be on the menu every week!

Why do people criticise the meal so much…perhaps due to the 💩 we were served for school dinners back in the day?

19 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Due to its high iron content I have not eaten liver for for health reasons in over three years. Anyway the management decided it was time we had it for tea, doubtless driven in part by my probably being worth more dead than alive. Anyway with £1.06 of Aldis best lambs liver she served up a plate of liver, bacon, creamy mash, carrots and thick onion gravy. Bloody lovely I only wish it could be on the menu every week!

Why do people criticise the meal so much…perhaps due to the 💩 we were served for school dinners back in the day?

Got it in one. I enjoy liver, but the stuff we were served at school filled with elastic bands you were still chewing on the walk home, was enough to put anyone off. 

If fresh it’s fantastic. 

If not, it can be awful. 

Not many foods can have such extremes, so I’d say it can be hard to get right. 

Last had liver and onions / mash in a nearby pub that does fantastic food, my mate had the same, his was fantastic but mine was awful. 

Very very strong. 

Liver must be served with streaky bacon, smoked optional, mash and peas with a good covering of the gravy over the garden peas and mash. 

Then for sweet fresh apple pie and custard. 

Nothing else comes near for the perfect dinner. 

The thing thats put most people off is when schools over cook the liver so its like boot leather (not sure if they are allowed now with PC rules)

Ox liver can be strong but soaked in milk and a spoonfull of bicarb knocks it down a bit, calf lives is nice but silly money, lambs and pigs the more popular. But then venison tops the bill for taste and cost. 

Roe liver fresh cut very thin  3/16th ish then dipped in beaten egg and then into porridge oats and fried till the oats are just turning brown, superb.  The ots keep the liver off the pan surface so it doesn't get leathery. A shake of pepper and salt in the oats also adds  to it.  I think it would also work with muntie liver as well.

The very popular butcher in my village ''whom I'm very friendly with'' and I be in with 4 or 5 times in any given week, won't put it on the counter as it simply does not sell. It was a staple in our home growing up and although we all ate it with spuds and onion gravy, the bajasus was usually cooked out of it!

Im lucky in that I live in the in land of milk and honey and am surrounded by near-by village's, a large town 7 miles away and a city 5 miles in the other direction, all of which have quality butchers. I've eaten liver from lots of different butcher's, and one in particular gets liver fresh in every Wednesday morning ,usually lamb and sometimes pig's' I much prefer lamb's.

I usually buy a lbs worth and get him to put it in two separate bags. I'll have it for dinner the traditional way and my boy eats a small portion. Then the following day for lunch, I'll flash fry it until just done with some onions and let it rest, then slice it up and put it in a fresh soft floury bap, topped with the well fried onions and some HP fruity sauce😋

I have even ordered it a restaurant in Dublin once as it was the Sunday special, over Steak ect..! Don't think many young people would eat it these days in fairness. It's not something I would buy pre packed from a supermarket, but fresh from a butcher's, it is the food of the God's  if you ask me.

Edited by SuperGoose75

16 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Roe liver fresh cut very thin  3/16th ish then dipped in beaten egg and then into porridge oats and fried till the oats are just turning brown, superb.  The ots keep the liver off the pan surface so it doesn't get leathery. A shake of pepper and salt in the oats also adds  to it.  I think it would also work with muntie liver as well.

3 hours ago, Krico woodcock said:

Venison liver is the best..When ya come home from shooting a animal in morning, hang up animal cut out liver,  can't get any fresher!! season it in salt/flour fry along with sausages, smoked bacon and egg. Not have to eat for rest of the day 

I love Roe liver, its always a bonus to get it home. 

Dave

Your meal sounded superb, the mash, the carrots, and that gravy! If I was on death row that would be 'up there' with only a handful of others.

Don't have it often because I cannot cook it well. If I find it on a menu somwhere, I will order it.

Last month I ate the best liver I have ever tasted whilst away in Greece. 

I don't know how it was cooked but it was delicious.

• 1 month later...

I like liver, though I find pigs can be a sit too strong ......... but I have had to almost completely give it up because it is a BIG gout trigger.  If you are prone to gout, be very cautious about how much liver, kidneys and derivatives (pâté, faggots etc.) you eat.