Cost of clay grounds

retromlc

One of my local shooting grounds, willow farm in Kent put it's prices up to £40x100 so we concentrated our hobby on Abby wood at detling, they have just increased their prices to £40, citing cost of clay's and matching the other grounds. With cartridges at £260x 1000 and fuel a round of 100i s now £65 +fuel, 

My local gun shop commented that they have seen a decline in shotgun sales and more significantly cartridge sales and

I do wonder if with the current economic situation this expensive sport will go into decline, last few visits I have noticed that the turn out of shooters was noticeably smaller. Usually at Abby wood I'd have to wait for maybe 5/6 shooters before me, the last 2 visits I've usually just walked intia stand it had to wait while a single shooter is finishing.

I went to JJ on Wednesday and it was busy £32x100

I'm already finding it difficult to get shooting buddies to come as 3 have already quit due to rising costs 

For me I will only be able to justify going once a month, to other clubs. I stopped going to west Kent as they're around 42p per clay.

I was wondering if you are beginning to attend less regularly?

Edited by retromlc

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cartridge prices per thousand in the greater scheme of things aren’t that much of an influencing factor in terms of cost as we buy in bulk. Sure the initial hit when purchasing seems bad but it translates to pence on each cartridge we shoot, a recognised increase for sure but not an end of the world scenario. I genuinely hope they do come down( I fear they won’t) as it’s the culmination of all increases that’s the problem, fuel now being in the mix also. They say it’s a rich man’s sport,  it is not a stupid man’s one, as I’ve mentioned before people will vote with their feet, either shooting less birds or going less. End result will be less revenue for all companies involved. This is an industry wide issue and needs to be looked at instead of people rubbing there hands together at the increased profits and margins. This is a “nice to do sport” not essential. Food on the table and heating on in winter or a round or clays ( I know some would say clays all day) it’s not rocket science, the industry would/will no doubt suffer. Just my opinion guys YMMV

Edited by TK421

I love the sport, and have only been shooting about 13 years, and my interest comes and goes And to shoot well I need to shoot frequently, I've even been having lessons and have benefited from them, but today is my last lesson as that gets very expensive. And with this increase I'm finding it hard to justify 2/3 times a month, I can unfortunately see myself mothballing my gun again.

I've run a small but successful business for 30yrs so have weathered a few downturns for sure. My industry it not essential and customers curb their spending, there are little "tells" as people start to feel the pinch, I am seeing those tells now, a downturn is probably already here. I've always kept my fee's the same during these times, accepted less profit, and built new avenues of income as people shop around for a better price, which maintains my business, when things start to improve I can ease my prices up and with the additional new customers I usually get to benefit, but it's a long game.

Shooting is a hobby, many people will vote with their feet.

People ARE voting with their feet, there is a noticeable decline in numbers at my local grounds of late. But at an average cost of £33 for clays (100), cartridges at £25, fuel £20, that is £78 without any drinks, food etc., and if like me, you take a couple of Grandkids, not much change from £240  ! Makes it an expensive day out. I am led to believe that southern shooting grounds are not suffering a drop in numbers, especially at registered shoots.

Clay shooting is a non-essential expenditure that follows the household costs that are essential - so the disposable income is being eaten away.  For those who where busting clays and already on the borderline of affordability then the general rise in the cost of living plus the increased costs of a round have put the sport out of reach.

It is really unaffordable now to the type of man who only last year could afford 100 clays a month. With the price rises of everything,petrol over 50% in a year,gas,electricity 100%+ and food at 25%.

I only go very occasionally now ,I have a 50 target sporting near here that’s still at £10 on a Sunday morning,others are £30 a 100, Was in Devon last month,Bradford was doing £7 for 25,Tatson, £15 for 50. Another ground near Holsworthy now want £38 a hundred! Registered 100 now is £40 here birds only. 
With about £30 for cartridges and petrol at £9 a gallon to get places,it’s costing way over a day’s wages to shoot for 2 hours,there is going to be a lot of the lower income shooters dropping out,it’s fine for the privileged rich though!

I'm definitely happy for people to make money, that's essentially why they put a shoot on, but if the industry as a whole continues to even stay at this level, attendance will significantly decline and they effectively put themselves out of business. The pressure of this present financial situation are the essentials, food, fuel, heating which in previous slumps have remained fairly stable so it was more manageable, 

Another problem that we are finding with our monthly rifle shoots at Bisley is that shooters are dropping out because they can't hold of the powder, primers and bullets they need to produce their ammo. Shortages are right across the board now.

And you cant just say well if you cant get what you want use what you can. These people have a lot of time and effort invested in developing their loads, especially the long range boys. They take it very seriously.

Even if they were prepared to switch powders or bullets, the alternatives are not available either.

Its a slow strangulation, June's shoot had to be cancelled 

Edited by Vince Green

6 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

The dramatic rise in the cost of everything will slow people down when parting with their hard earned.

I think this will have a much bigger impact than the few extra pence per clay. 

£32 up to £40 isn’t the end of the world, although it’s over £400 increase a year if you shoot weekly. 

Energy bills increasing by a few hundred quid per month, let alone per year will have a much bigger impact. 

Wait until food prices hit a high next. 

Fuel is also continuing to go up. 

Then peoples mortgages will cost more, flexible rates already going out, those on fixed rates will see that hit once their current term ends.

4 hours ago, Westley said:

BUT, if numbers attending fall, they have to cover costs from somewhere  !

When I ran a shooting ground, the weekly rent was £70, trappers (to fill the auto traps) £25 x 2. Ongoing maintenance of equipment,  etc., etc.

4 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, it's all getting beyond many people's budget, 

As almost everything we spend money on has risen by 10% to over 100% in a year or so,and a typical average is probably 25% even though government tries to tell us it’s only 9%,working and retired alike simply haven’t got the spare income,just to stand still and do what we could a year ago we all need pay rises of over 37% as the tax and national insurance takes 33.25% of any rise, This simply isn’t going to happen and non essential hobbies and sports will have to be dropped except by those with massive savings or massive incomes.

7 hours ago, TOPGUN749 said:

Just curious about the price of clays in bulk,looked online and it seems about £80 a thousand. Clubs charging over £300 a thousand,and getting some pick ups back to reuse.Ok so there are expenses and the traps cost a lot so they need an income.

We have our own small club and charge £10 for 50, and still make a small profit. Have 11 automatic traps we have brought over the years. Just go a pallet of eco friendly clays which are more expensive so may have to increase it £12 for 50. However a lot of people just want to rock up shoot and go home. Ask them to get traps and batteries out or clear up and you would thing we ask the world. So they can go and pay £0.4 a clay and we will keep it to ourselves. 

4 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Are you saying inflation is running at 25%?

Yes on average,has to be 25%! when 100%+ for energy, 50%+ for petrol and diesel,food mostly up 20%,milk from £1.09 to £1.35 Bread £1.10 to £1.35. Ammunition for air guns and shotguns up over 30%,the list is endless,some things like council tax and tv licenses have stayed lower but are the exceptions.

Yes on average,has to be 25%

I am surprised no political party or the media have picked up on your in depth economic assessment.

I just stuck my finger in the air, whilst whistling, and came up with 5%. Then again, I don't have your obvious expertise.

My supplier said they have kept prices down to average 5% but when you look closely the stuff no one needs has stayed the same but the high use materials have gone up 30%, 5% overall but in real terms the most purchased materials have sky rocketed. My commercial electric has tripled. I am taking the hit but getting more enquiries for quotes that are converting into sales as my competition are loading their prices.

4 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

I am surprised no political party or the media have picked up on your in depth economic assessment.

I just stuck my finger in the air, whilst whistling, and came up with 5%. Then again, I don't have your obvious expertise.

I think many know the facts,but don’t say much about it so they don’t rock the boat,and those in government and the media are wealthy people that high inflation doesn’t affect much.Some of notice that a year ago almost everything was far cheaper,petrol was £1.28 now £1.92,electricity around 19p kw/hour now 29p.Standing charges doubled or trebled.

Its plain for anyone to see 5% is a thing of a few years back,and won’t return anytime soon.

2 hours ago, mossy835 said:

i used to shoot clays a few years ago, but got a bit dear.so never bother  now just seems a waist of money to me,i just shoot on farms now,pigeons and crows more fun.

In that case you are extremely lucky. I used to shoot over some 3000 acres, pigeons, crows, ducks, geese, and game. As Farmers have died, sold off land or the Family have simply stopped all shooting, all that is left for me is clays. Look after what you have. I am too old now to go door knocking to try and obtain permissions and have got rid of most of my gear.

Edited by Westley