Cost of clay grounds

retromlc

23 hours ago, retromlc said:

One of my local shooting grounds, willow farm in Kent put it's prices up to £40x100 so we concentrated our hobby on Abby wood at detling, they have just increased their prices to £40, citing cost of clay's and matching the other grounds. With cartridges at £260x 1000 and fuel a round of 100i s now £65 +fuel, 

My local gun shop commented that they have seen a decline in shotgun sales and more significantly cartridge sales and

I do wonder if with the current economic situation this expensive sport will go into decline, last few visits I have noticed that the turn out of shooters was noticeably smaller. Usually at Abby wood I'd have to wait for maybe 5/6 shooters before me, the last 2 visits I've usually just walked intia stand it had to wait while a single shooter is finishing.

I went to JJ on Wednesday and it was busy £32x100

I'm already finding it difficult to get shooting buddies to come as 3 have already quit due to rising costs 

For me I will only be able to justify going once a month, to other clubs. I stopped going to west Kent as they're around 42p per clay.

I was wondering if you are beginning to attend less regularly?

I think all clay clubs have put there prices up Talking to a clay ground owner here I N Ireland was informed that due to Brexit,coming out of the covid pandemic the price of fuel etc the cost of getting materials delivered (clays etc ) the rise is going onto the consumer Unfortunately can’t see this improving any time soon Think most people have cut back Myself included A gun dealer I’ve been using the last 15 years has also informed me he’s finding it hard to order certain brands of firearms from Europe!!! 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Gerry78 said:

I think all clay clubs have put there prices up Talking to a clay ground owner here I N Ireland was informed that due to Brexit,coming out of the covid pandemic the price of fuel etc the cost of getting materials delivered (clays etc ) the rise is going onto the consumer Unfortunately can’t see this improving any time soon Think most people have cut back Myself included A gun dealer I’ve been using the last 15 years has also informed me he’s finding it hard to order certain brands of firearms from Europe!!! 

I think part of it is the shooting ground owners wanting to replace the income they lost when forced to close for months on end due to a ridiculous government action.Although many were compensated for loss of income they felt it was not enough so not want to claw it back from customers who are happy to pay them.Clays may have gone up due to manufacturing and transport by £1.50 a hundred,but not £5-£10!

The clay ground owner I spoke to mentioned that he buys clay ten ton at a time.i would imagine the unit cost is much lower at that level, he uses CCI??? Anyway he said their prices have gone up but the supplier is providing a poorer quality product with inconsistent weight so the clay's are breaking or not flying consistently, numerous clay's breaking out of the trap, I've noticed this and assumed they are using used clay's.

Don't get me wrong I understand economics and the need to turn a profit, running anything is not just done on the day it's a lot of work, I'm just thinking that at this rate of increasing costs they will put themselves out of business if they are trying to maintain their previous profit margins because the shooters are abandoning the sport 

I actually find it sadly ironic that so many gunsmiths that have often said cartridges are almost a loss leader taking labour into account can complain that a drop in sales is affecting their bottom line. Even if it was just breaking even after labour, that then means you have labour for the rest of the day.

Anyway. I know companies don't want to take a hit, but those that do shoot at 33p/clay are basically mopping up from the 40+p shoots. Less profit per clay but more people so more popular and more revenue. I wonder if land renting is going up though also?

Anyway, in the world of recession or belt tightening, you'd be surprised what gets sacrificed first. It often isn't all luxuries, it's more non-essentials. By that I mean people speed less to get better economy, and often go from 2 take aways a week to 1. But, some luxuries like posh teabags and some sports are kept at earlier phases because everyone needs a treat. It's in a few years if this climate continues that I think shooting will be hit by worse, and seriously I'd hope the fuel issues will have calmed by then and the market will re-balance. 

With how much I still shoot though, I feel I should move north as I can't find a clay below 39p around me! 

@westley, Owls Lodge is still rammed at registered shoots, and Popham shoot is still thriving. But, people are going for cheeky 50 clays during thre week rather than 100 clays.

Spitfire recently started a membership which I thought wasn't cost economical unless I shot 10,000+ clays. But, I'm fortunate I can afford to shoot weekly, at least til food and fuel and energy goes up again soon.

@Vince, I'll disagree slightly, boats are a different league. I'll agree with the sentiment vaguely though.

Sadly both my syndicates are going ahead this season, was planning to drop out of one but got railroaded into joining again, would rather spend my cash on clays nowadays.

No need to turn out on cold wet days, no beaters to pay for, no need to mess around with dead birds at the end of the day. 

Next year will be clays only for me 

I accept the large commetcial grounds that are open several days a week have overheads above your sunday straw bailer and are more expensive.

However what i cant understand is the difference in the amounts some of these ground charge. Some charge 30% more than others. I am also comparing grounds that own their own land, so rents are not the reason.

To be fair, just because a ground owns it own land it doesn't mean we should get a cost reduction. There needs to be profit from any land, so part of their benefit of owning will be a good ROI. Otherwise they would lease for a tax break but not gain on ROI.

I do agree though that it's nuts when the price flucuates from 31p to 42p. I think one of the local clubs here offers a 10p/clay discount for members, although I am sure the membership cost is enough that you'd have to shoot a fair few thousand to break even.

6 hours ago, HantsRob said:

I do agree though that it's nuts when the price flucuates from 31p to 42p. I think one of the local clubs here offers a 10p/clay discount for members, although I am sure the membership cost is enough that you'd have to shoot a fair few thousand to break even.

It fluctuates between 25p and 40p in yorkshire and the 40p ground is not the best. 

Inflation and rising cost of living hasnt had time to really bite and the country is enjoying good weather which will bring the shooters out. Come mid week january some of the grounds will be like ghost towns ,especially at 40p to practice

30 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

It fluctuates between 25p and 40p in yorkshire and the 40p ground is not the best. 

Inflation and rising cost of living hasnt had time to really bite and the country is enjoying good weather which will bring the shooters out. Come mid week january some of the grounds will be like ghost towns ,especially at 40p to practice

We have some 40p grounds like Owls Lodge that are impeccable. We have some that charge it because others do and are only 'good' as they open on a day that others don't. I can only dream of 25p a clay.

I was at Widdington on Saturday and I was disappointed to see an empty field. I guess it was "too nice" or people are doing BBQs? I got speaking to the staff and they have said their builders, plumbers and chippies style crew have cut down both how many visits and how much they shoot. Shame to see beautiful grounds not being used more.

12 hours ago, retromlc said:

If grounds go under they will only have themselves to blame, I'd rather have 100 shooters at 31p p/clay than 60@.40p.

Plus burger and coffee sales, margins on cartridges sales.

Totally agree, also when clays are cheaper it tempts shooters to shoot more. 

18 hours ago, TRINITY said:

Totally agree, also when clays are cheaper it tempts shooters to shoot more. 

I was at Cluny last Saturday, it was kind of deserted despite being a glorious day
25 clays + carts cost me £18
so every miss cost me 72p - hurts my wallet as well as my pride
(hits cost the same but I think there's probably less financial impact from those 😄)

At FauxDegla - non-member it is £8 a round (32p per clay)

This drops if you are a member (£50) and drop for 500 clays which is £140 (28p per clay)

At Sealand it is £41 for 150 clays - 27.3 pence a clay

Don't know about Catton as it is only open mid-week for practice at the moment and I can't make it there

We do have a local "straw bailer" that is £5 for 25 - and £5 a box of shells.

I am dropping a weekend a month shooting and alternating registered - Skeet and Sporting monthly. My next two sportings are Hodnet in a week, and the Zoli in a month

There is a Skeet tomorrow that I am skipping - I am instead running the sportrap layout so I am still getting out.

Edited by discobob

Earlier in the year we elected not to shoot any event where the entry is inflated to cover a prize fund, im not there to trouble the prize pot and if i wanted to give Mr Faulds some of my funds i can send him a postal order,dropping the Essex next year, its losing its appeal since the noise barriers went in and a very dear weekend  from Yorkshire. I refuse to pay for the Majors now the Birds only option has been taken away. I checked earlier in the week and the Orston Masters had over a 100 unfilled spaces, maybe the pool of willing victims for the top lads prize monies  is dwindling away.  There maybe a deep war chest for prizes at these big shoots but only a few will benefit  while all contribute. If you neglect to look after the contributer classes then you wont have a business. Hoping more cuts  wont be needed.

On 13/07/2022 at 10:30, retromlc said:

If grounds go under they will only have themselves to blame, I'd rather have 100 shooters at 31p p/clay than 60@.40p.

Plus burger and coffee sales, margins on cartridges sales.

Yes the food sales can be a big earner. If prices are right people will stop by for a breakfast even if they are not shooting, Even if they are not shooters. word gets round

value for money is how you bring in the £££

Facebook every day breakfast £5.99 hammer it. Not once, not twice, every day. Afternoon tea, lunch etc

Edited by Vince Green

Trying not to play devils advocate but isn't paying 40p/clay+ just commensurate with the facilities/experience offered? Premium grounds require premium investment and likely premium running costs, they are businesses after all and need to make money to continue and secure there operations for years to come.  

I'm happy to pay for the experience of Churchills/Royal Berks/H&H etc.. because what is offered is premium and enjoy it as such, for me a treat and in moderation.

I'm equally as happy to pay 20-30p/clay for a local straw bailer or local club ground and also <10p/clay dragging out a trap myself, buying my own clays wherever I may be allowed to shoot. I expect good value like anyone else but shooting is a consumable sport, it can be an expensive one but its all relative.

Not trying to be argumentative I'm just genuinely interested in the debate/views?

The Economy and everyone's pockets are hurting now and likely for sometime to come but for things to continue and more forward there needs to be investment in clay shooting and someone has to ultimately pay for it.

Luckily here we have a small local ground for sporting we can go to on a Sunday morning £10 for 50 (5 stands) At that price the owner still makes a profit to cover his investment of traps etc,what do clays cost now £5 for 50 probably, Under £100 a thousand anyway if bought by the pallet.Other places around are £30 a hundred targets,with some at £35. I set my limit at 30p a clay,any place wanting more won’t see me there,and once a month is plenty!

When I first opened a shooting ground in Wiltshire about 20 years ago, black standards were £25/thou. A 100 registered sporting was £30 including the prize fund.  Currently black standards are £100/thou and we are paying £45 for sporting. As you can see, there is still a margin to be made.