Air Fryer

SuperGoose75

So nearly two years off the fags and as a result have put on a few stone in weight.Its time to take action and after joining the gym again ,the air-fryer was the next step to hopefully help weight loss.

I was dubious to begin with, that the food would taste as nice as deep fried for example. Well I I have to say I very happy with what I've used it for so far. I've  air fried a whole chicken,chicken wings for buffalo wings, fish fingers, fish goujons, chicken fillets cut into strips and egg washed and rolled in panko bread crumbs. And also for homemade fries which were just OK in fairness, I think I'll  par boil them next time and let them cool before air frying. We kept the deep fat fryer of course as you can't beat homemade chips now and again.

I fave thing at the moment is making fish tacos 🌮  A red cabbage slaw, with pico de gallo , with air fried fish goujons topped with homemade baja sauce in  warm tortilla's

The air fryer is easily cleaned and a fantastic addition to the kitchen. Any other air fryer fans?

Edited by SuperGoose75

That's interesting. We have been tempted to get an air fryer. Latest models can do it all. Pressure cook, sauté, steam, slow cook, sous vide, warm, air fry, roast, bake, broil and dehydrate. I'm skeptical that anything can do all these things well, but friends seem to approve. When our current slow cooker dies, I think we will get one. 

8 minutes ago, Houseplant said:

That's interesting. We have been tempted to get an air fryer. Latest models can do it all. Pressure cook, sauté, steam, slow cook, sous vide, warm, air fry, roast, bake, broil and dehydrate. I'm skeptical that anything can do all these things well, but friends seem to approve. When our current slow cooker dies, I think we will get one. 

Yes we went for the Ninja dual zone with the 9.5 litre capacity. It has settings to Air fry,roast,bake,reheat,dehydrate and has a max crisp setting as well. Probably are better ones on the market that can do more things as you say, I'm a fan anyway.👍

I have the single Ninja model. We cook all our meat in it and home made healthy spiced wedges. They are brilliant  

Whole cooked chicken split in half.   Wedge potatoes and coat in a cocktail of (legal) herbs and spices (we use mustard, garlic, chilli flakes and mixed Italian herbs). No need for any oil….

In hindsight (and when this one dies) I’ll buy the double so you can do both an once. 

Edited by markm

13 hours ago, Nuke said:

I doubt the air fryer will help, you should change your diet.

/M

Yeah some changes are needed to be sure, although I'm generally a healthy eater, or at least I try to be anyhow.

The air fryer is definitely going to be a help IMO Like something air fryed like chicken wings for example, is going to be a lot less calorific than wings deep fried in hot oil.

And I'll use the chicken wings as another example to say that as far as taste goes, they are not far off ones being deep fried.

We usually have a wing and ribs night every once in awhile (usually when the deep fat fryer oil is due to be changed) and the wings are done in this and are proper job to use a Chris Greene phrase. I've tried doing them in the oven to be healthier, but they never be as good as deep fried. I tell no lie when I say the air fried ones are not far off the deep fried ones as far as taste and texture goes. Tossed in Frank's hot sauce with butter and grated Parmigiano and they're as good as I've had anywhere including New York.

Good to see there is other Air fryer/Ninja fans,  they are definitely money well spent.

The convenience alone is a big plus IMO

My partly professional opinion and partly (scientifically unfounded) personal opinion is that the real dietary problems are sugar and carbohydrates (bread; rice; potatoes; pasta). Unless you are doing extremely physical work every day, avoiding carbohydrates is a good start. I don't worry at all about fat consumption and eat a high protein diet and lots of vegetables. It can get expensive, but that is why it is good to be a hunter and fisherman!

11 hours ago, Houseplant said:

My partly professional opinion and partly (scientifically unfounded) personal opinion is that the real dietary problems are sugar and carbohydrates (bread; rice; potatoes; pasta). Unless you are doing extremely physical work every day, avoiding carbohydrates is a good start. 

Also, cutting out alcohol makes a huge impact on weight loss.

11 hours ago, Houseplant said:

My partly professional opinion and partly (scientifically unfounded) personal opinion is that the real dietary problems are sugar and carbohydrates (bread; rice; potatoes; pasta). Unless you are doing extremely physical work every day, avoiding carbohydrates is a good start. I don't worry at all about fat consumption and eat a high protein diet and lots of vegetables. It can get expensive, but that is why it is good to be a hunter and fisherman!

Yes plenty of sense in what you say!

Some changes to the diet and put some graft in at the gym should help shift some weight. The full on middle aged ''dad bod'' has to go! The weight probably won't dissapear as fast as my hairline is going though 👴

I'm a man who likes his full on country style dinners, but I think the way people are cooking and eating these days are changing. Most Butchers here now, are making in house ready made meals and butcher shops care lined with fridges and the actual butcher counters are getting smaller. Like the air-fryers I think its all about convenience and less time in the kitchen. I'm  slow to change my ways and enjoy cooking old skool! But like has been already said, the kitchen oven is getting used less and less since the air-fryer came into the house. I'm trying to knock back on the big Spud dinners, with pies,stews and casseroles ect..! I love my food but can't have it both ways unfortunately.

Edited by SuperGoose75

On 30/06/2022 at 11:05, welsh1 said:

Another vote for the Ninja, our's is the one that doubles up as a pressure cooker, chips come out very good and a chicken is amazing,i also do my steak in it and it's spot on.

yeah iv got the 9 in 1 brilliant bit of kit 

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, mgsontour said:

After reading it looks like ninja is a winner, but which is the best model lads........the biggest?

The one we purchased was the biggest of the dual fryers with a 9.5litre capacity.  The extra money for the 9.5litre as opposed to the smaller dual 7.5 litre capacity  is money well spent IMO.

I use ours a lot since we purchased it and as put, the oven and gas hob gets used way less now. Even for fish fingers, I'll put them on the air fryer,rather than a frying pan now.

I've found there is a lot of trial and error, regarding cooking times. I cooked 4 chicken fillet burgers last night (From the butcher, flattened with a meat mallet and then dipped on flour,egg and panko breadcrumbs) I cooked them for 20mins but I think maybe 17 or 18 mins may have been better as they were a bit on the dry side. I have found this with sausages also. I like to be on the safe side with the chicken, but 20mins was too long. 

5 hours ago, markm said:

Single is fine, but I’d buy the double drawer next time. 

Double drawers have advantages for sure!