Price of shotguns

Sean Richo

1 hour ago, Fellside said:

Sorry I don’t subscribe to all this doom and gloom. Hobbies and sports pursuits have always expanded/contracted over time relative to the economy. That’s perfectly normal. It doesn’t mean that shooting is terminally effected. Having said that, I do feel for people on or below the breadline who have to make tough decisions. High inflation always hits lower incomes harder. 

This.

The worst case scenario for my money will be that things return to the 50s and 60s with one addition. Money will always prevail so formal driven shooting is not going away provided all involved are sensible. Smaller more informal game shoots/walked up and 'fowlers should also be able to hang in there.

The need for vermin control will not disappear and if things keep going the way they are, farmers could make a case that any change to the current norm would place an overly expensive burden upon them. However, the powers that be et al do now like to see qualifications and here's the addition. Vermin control will also survive but  there may well be will be a need to show competence and possibly via a NFU Contractor set-up simply to provide a register of approved competent shooters for example. (I can see some smiling at that.)

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

30 minutes ago, wymberley said:

This.

The worst case scenario for my money will be that things return to the 50s and 60s with one addition. Money will always prevail so formal driven shooting is not going away provided all involved are sensible. Smaller more informal game shoots/walked up and 'fowlers should also be able to hang in there.

The need for vermin control will not disappear and if things keep going the way they are, farmers could make a case that any change to the current norm would place an overly expensive burden upon them. However, the powers that be et al do now like to see qualifications and here's the addition. Vermin control will also survive but  there may well be will be a need to show competence and possibly via a NFU Contractor set-up simply to provide a register of approved competent shooters for example. (I can see some smiling at that.)

you are correct it will not go away, but a lot of pest control is done by the "working man" on an average wage, some are just about justifying the money they spend on vermin/clay shooting, formal shoots are out of their reach and if they have to pay for a competence test to become an approved contractor I think that may push some out of the sport,

I know of three such people who have given up shooting in the last 2 years because of the cost.

so as you say it could be a return to those with money, the better off who will prevail.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

For a real “shooting man” shooting is a way of life. 
“Shooting men” do not give up shooting. 
Those people who see shooting as a hobby often give it up.

I think you’re right. I started shooting an old BSA air rifle when I was eight. I.m the wrong side of seventy now and I have no intention whatsoever of giving up.....

3 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

It's a brave man that makes that punt SCULLY! I've sold my Boss, as often repeated, but when I did I also took a punt on an AYA No4 .410" side by side boxlock ejector. I think that the .410" may...just....squeak through the proposals unmolested. Perhaps?

Why? There are many old guns out there perfectly capable of handling steel. 
The alternatives are to either sell your gun ( I’m sure the Americans will lap them up and pay for the privilege ) submit it for steel proofing ( and thereby prove you needn’t have bothered ) use standard steel or another alternative, or just declare it obsolete. 
Why do you thing an AYA .410 will be a safer option if lead is banned, and where do you intend to use it even if it isn’t, cos you still wont be able to use it ( legally ) for live quarry?
Think about it. 

3 hours ago, old'un said:

don't you think some of the older English guns may suffer damage from steel?, I only ask this as not long ago I sold a nice Joseph Lang sidelock ejector, it was a lovely light weight gun of just under 61/2 pounds, the thing that would have worried me about putting steel through this gun was the thinness of the barrel walls, the wall thickness at the muzzle measured about 30 thou, 0.76mm

I have no idea to be honest. If it had 2.5” chambers I’m not sure there are cartridges to suit it as yet, but it’s early days yet. 
Personally I wouldn’t be in a rush to sell anything at the moment; there may yet be cartridges commercially available in the future for such guns, but no doubt at premium prices. Who knows? 
Saying all that, if it’s in nitro proof then it should be fine with standard steel. 
When all’s said and done there’s only one way to find out really. 

3 hours ago, London Best said:

Yes agreed. For me it’s in my DNA. My father before me etc. etc. Certainly a ‘way of life’ as you say. 

4 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

It's a brave man that makes that punt SCULLY! I've sold my Boss, as often repeated, but when I did I also took a punt on an AYA No4 .410" side by side boxlock ejector. I think that the .410" may...just....squeak through the proposals unmolested. Perhaps?

I very much doubt it, the whole intention is to damage shooting.  Common sense doesn't come into it.

3 hours ago, Weihrauch17 said:

I very much doubt it, the whole intention is to damage shooting.  Common sense doesn't come into it.

What and who’s intention it is to damage shooting?? If Your surmising Steel shot in old guns well it hasn’t damaged my shooting USA Have been using steel shot long before it became legal over here There hunting community is thriving 

17 hours ago, London Best said:

I have a similar 'take' on this, but 'shooting' for me means being out on a day, whether it be beating, picking up, accompanying a guest, spectating ....... or even shooting.

A long time ago now, I ran a shoot and rarely (in fact almost never) took a gun 'at home' myself.  But I had some of the most enjoyable days out doing my best to make a good day for others to enjoy.

A couple of years ago (year 1 of covid) I was ill (non covid) in November/December and we only managed 2 days shooting, both of which I felt unsuited to shooting (was still recuperating and medication suggested not to operate machinery etc, so wielding a loaded gun seemed unsuitable!) - but I did go out and do a bit of spectating, taping in the odd hedgerow etc, and enjoyed it.

As I get older, I enjoy the day out, but 'actively' shooting doesn't have to feature.  It's the atmosphere and camaraderie of the day I enjoy.

As to gun prices - well - I have what I need to 'see me out' and once I'm out - someone else's problem!  (I have relatives who shoot, so they will be the winners - albeit of rather diminished value prizes).

17 hours ago, London Best said:

I can fully understand where you are coming from L B , from a very early age I was more interested in the side effects of shooting than the guns that needed to be used to take part , my beating days started nearly sixty years ago and even then I was observing what was going on around me rather than the guns the ( guns ) were using , then living in a village that had wildfowlers living more or less beside me my interests moved on to the area where most of the wildfowling was done , this was the start of my addiction to fowling , having joined my local club as a junior and worked all the summer whilst at school to buy my first gun this was the start to a lifelong passion , yes I have had some nice guns but the guns were only a tradesman tool and not a work of art .

As I am now getting towards the end of the road , I find the passion to kill birds or animals have all but gone but I still enjoy Pigeon shooting and I am fully paid up for this years wild fowling season . I have also got all the dates for this years game season and if the good lord don't need me I will hopefully attend every one like I have done for more years than I care to remember .

As for the price of guns , something I haven't given a lot of thought :good:

11 hours ago, Gerry78 said:

What and who’s intention it is to damage shooting?? If Your surmising Steel shot in old guns well it hasn’t damaged my shooting USA Have been using steel shot long before it became legal over here There hunting community is thriving 

The whole point of a Lead Ban is to damage shooting, there is absolutely no risk to Public Health using Lead as we have been since 1782 or earlier and not a single person has had their health effected by it.  It is simply a back door attack on Shooting Sports.

Edited by Weihrauch17

31 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

The whole point of a Lead Ban is to damage shooting, there is absolutely no risk to Public Health using Lead as we have been since 1782 or earlier and not a single person has had their health effected by it.  It is simply a back door attack on Shooting Sports.

Does make you wonder why our shooting organisations so ably lead by good old BASC went down this route, doesn't it?

Not being affected by any of this, I've not really been paying close attention so may well have missed any comments (if any) from the gunmakers. Those who are supposed to know how steel shot affects our guns have detailed specific dos and don'ts for its use and are known as CIP. There is a groundswell of end user opinion which says that a lot of this is bunkum. It would be interesting to view the gunmakers' opinions - unless, of course, they're already out there and I've missed it.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

Trying to be seen to be politically correct?

Got it in one.

It’s all politics now, and has been for some time. It won’t ever stop being about politics now; damage limitation and public perception is now the order of the day.
You can dress it up anyway you like, but when all is said and done, we kill things for entertainment/recreation, so we’ve got to tow whatever line politics throws at us to survive. 

22 hours ago, London Best said:

Depends a lot on their financial position,if inflation of 20+% eats up all the disposable income,then they are forced to give up at least on a temporary basis.The rich will always be able to continue.

2 hours ago, TOPGUN749 said:

Depends a lot on their financial position,if inflation of 20+% eats up all the disposable income,then they are forced to give up at least on a temporary basis.The rich will always be able to continue.

Wrong. 
I spent the first forty years of my shooting life shooting on a shoestring budget of precisely nothing.