• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, wymberley said:

😁 I thought they were ex-spurts.

They’re sometimes very knowledgeable people, but usually about something no one but them cares about. 🙂

There’s a bloke in the village whose knowledge of classic tractors is second to none, and for a brief while it’s quite interesting, but he doesn’t know when to change the subject, even when some have drifted to another table and the eyes of those remaining have glazed over! 😀

Like the regulars, all truck drivers, in my local back home who congregated on the same table each Saturday night to talk about diesel, junctions and tachographs. You could almost smell the fumes! 😀

38 minutes ago, Scully said:

They’re sometimes very knowledgeable people, but usually about something no one but them cares about. 🙂

There’s a bloke in the village whose knowledge of classic tractors is second to none, and for a brief while it’s quite interesting, but he doesn’t know when to change the subject, even when some have drifted to another table and the eyes of those remaining have glazed over! 😀

Like the regulars, all truck drivers, in my local back home who congregated on the same table each Saturday night to talk about diesel, junctions and tachographs. You could almost smell the fumes! 😀

Have to say that that all sounds like the exact opposite of the definition of ‘layman’ with regards to their specific subjects.

Edited by wymberley

45 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Have to say that that all sounds like the exact opposite of the definition of ‘layman’ with regards to their specific subjects.

You’re probably correct; the point I was trying to make was that they constantly insist on boring everyone to tears in the belief that what they’re talking about is interesting. 

8 hours ago, Scully said:

You’re probably correct; the point I was trying to make was that they constantly insist on boring everyone to tears in the belief that what they’re talking about is interesting. 

You do realise that , you , me , and , just about every other pw member , will be a complete shooting bore , to just about every none shooting person that we meet 😁.

Despite never having set foot on a field , the guys on my truck know the difference between,  .410 , 12g , 20g , and how to snare a rabbit or trap a mole , and why you use a vasectomized hob to knock a Jill out of season 😄.

7 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

You do realise that , you , me , and , just about every other pw member , will be a complete shooting bore , to just about every none shooting person that we meet 😁.

Despite never having set foot on a field , the guys on my truck know the difference between,  .410 , 12g , 20g , and how to snare a rabbit or trap a mole , and why you use a vasectomized hob to knock a Jill out of season 😄.

Then you move on to talk about  fishing

11 hours ago, Scully said:

I can imagine! How long before you, SCULLY, start looking down at the ground hoping for a large hole to open up? LOL! Although I did once have a genuinely truly really interesting ten minute explanation of the French vegesimal numbering system and the exception to the the "s" on vingts from a work colleague.

Edited by enfieldspares

1 hour ago, kevin55 said:

Then you move on to talk about  fishing

2 minutes ago, discobob said:

Then woodlands - and then sparkly posing pouches 😆 for TC

We've already done all of those subjects.

I did show them a picture of a sparkly posing pouch , and one of them said " is that dave " 🤔.

Some years ago, I was shooting clays at Edgeworth with a friend. Although Mike is not the most tactful person in the world, he seemed to attract people who wanted to give him advice. He was a game shooter, who rarely shot clays, but was the fastest shot I have ever seen. One bright spark approached us and explained to Mike where he was going wrong - wrong gun, wrong clothes, shot too fast etc etc. Mike was unusually patient - up to then I hadn't realised he had any patience at all - and just listened. After the shoot, we went into the Toby Inn for something to eat. We were accosted by the same boring idiot, who came and sat at our table - continuing with his advice. Mike had heard enough and rapidly changed the subject to fishing. At which point the individual said - "Ah fishing - Boron is the future. You need a Boron rod". At which point Mike lost it.

Happy days. 

Edited by Gordon R

36 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Some years ago, I was shooting clays at Edgeworth with a friend. Although Mike is not the most tactful person in the world, he seemed to attract people who wanted to give him advice. He was a game shooter, who rarely shot clays, but was the fastest shot I have ever seen. One bright spark approached us and explained to Mike where he was going wrong - wrong gun, wrong clothes, shot too fast etc etc. Mike was unusually patient - up to then I hadn't realised any patience at all - and just listened. After the shoot, we went into the Toby Inn for something to eat. We were accosted by the same boring idiot, who came and sat at our table - continuing with his advice. Mike had heard enough and rapidly changed the subject to fishing. At which point the individual said - "Ah fishing - Boron is the future. You need a Boron rod". At which point Mike lost it.

Happy days. 

A chap like this was it !!

8 hours ago, mel b3 said:

That’s why I always discuss shooting with other shooters, and only mention shooting to none shooters if they raise the topic first. 
It’s knowing when to shut up. 🙂

6 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

I can imagine! How long before you, SCULLY, start looking down at the ground hoping for a large hole to open up? LOL! 

I have no doubt I’m boring to those who keep crying about not being able to use lead in this that or the other gun, but the alternatives are there, including buying a gun that is suitable. 
People have to get over this and make plans to move forward in the best possible manner available to them. 
It’s not going away, and crying about it on here won’t make it go away.
Those in power really really don’t care how much we blub; you should know that better than most. 

56 minutes ago, Scully said:

That’s why I always discuss shooting with other shooters, and only mention shooting to none shooters if they raise the topic first. 
It’s knowing when to shut up. 🙂

I usually shut up about ten minutes after they've died of boredom 😁

1 hour ago, Scully said:

I have no doubt I’m boring to those who keep crying about not being able to use lead in this that or the other gun, but the alternatives are there, including buying a gun that is suitable. 
People have to get over this and make plans to move forward in the best possible manner available to them. 
It’s not going away, and crying about it on here won’t make it go away.
Those in power really really don’t care how much we blub; you should know that better than most. 

Surely that’s what the thread is about 

your gun is perceived as worthless due to the perceived legislation dealer dosent want it on a trade in coupled with the availability of the appropriate cartridges not to mention the abysmal way new license and variations have been delt with over the last two years 

their leaving you to find the money to buy a gun that is suitable  for legislation that isn’t here and maybe won’t come in it’s entirely or may be made even worse by that many hoops to jump through if you aren’t waiting for your license renewal that enables you to buy or sell your gun that you could well have spent many hundreds of pounds on having fitted or stocked to your measurements 

4 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Surely that’s what the thread is about 

your gun is perceived as worthless due to the perceived legislation dealer dosent want it on a trade in coupled with the availability of the appropriate cartridges not to mention the abysmal way new license and variations have been delt with over the last two years 

their leaving you to find the money to buy a gun that is suitable  for legislation that isn’t here and maybe won’t come in it’s entirely or may be made even worse by that many hoops to jump through if you aren’t waiting for your license renewal that enables you to buy or sell your gun that you could well have spent many hundreds of pounds on having fitted or stocked to your measurements 

Then just use it by whatever means are available. You have several options. 

None of my guns are steel shot proofed ( except a self loader ) but they’re not worthless as I have no intention of selling them anyhow. I’ll just put steel through them. 

Dealers will get stuck with those short chambered thin walled sxs’s if no one wants to buy them due to a lack of suitable cartridges becoming available, or they’ll ship them across the Atlantic where the Americans will pay premium prices and then they’ll put steel through them. 
Alternatively, if no suitable cartridges become available it may indeed spell the end of such guns as has happened before with earlier examples of sxs’s. Who knows? 

Maybe there has always been a lot of shotguns for sale. Guntrader is advertising nineteen thousand for sale. If they aren’t selling the price will come down. If a gun isn’t suitable for steel shot cartridges or the owner doesn’t want to use steel cartridges there will be other but expensive alternatives . If no commercial cartridges are available load cartridges for the gun .Older guns would have used cartridges hand loaded for them. Components are available including cardboard cases even components for 24gauge and 32gauge .  As Scully said use guns by any means available , reloading would be the way to go. I didn’t stop using my guns when I couldn’t get the cartridges I wanted for them l loaded them. Steel and other types of shot have been used for over twenty years in U.K. and longer in the USA . 

28 minutes ago, Gas seal said:

Maybe there has always been a lot of shotguns for sale. Guntrader is advertising nineteen thousand for sale. If they aren’t selling the price will come down. If a gun isn’t suitable for steel shot cartridges or the owner doesn’t want to use steel cartridges there will be other but expensive alternatives . If no commercial cartridges are available load cartridges for the gun .Older guns would have used cartridges hand loaded for them. Components are available including cardboard cases even components for 24gauge and 32gauge .  As Scully said use guns by any means available , reloading would be the way to go. I didn’t stop using my guns when I couldn’t get the cartridges I wanted for them l loaded them. Steel and other types of shot have been used for over twenty years in U.K. and longer in the USA . 

Perfect example of this is big bore guns. Go back to the days when Eley decided to stop making cartridges for 8 bore. Market went and nobody wanted them until we found you could load with cases from America once resized. Then we had the ban on lead. Oh dear the guns are past it but we discovered ITM and bismuth. We carried on loading our own, the market came back and these old guns increased in value to ridiculous levels. Admittedly prices have fallen back but that is for supply reasons largely.

I predict the  same will happen here. We will get over it. Those of us who want to carry on shooting our old English SxS will do so. If I thought for one moment the end was nigh I would not have spent a considerable sum on a Dickson Roundaction last year. Steel barrels and 2.5” chambers.

On 05/07/2022 at 07:08, mel b3 said:

It’s the same with golfers. Most, if not all of my family, sons, son in laws, one daughter in law and now the grandsons all play golf and when at a family gathering it bores the pants off me when they start. I really don’t wish to know has had bogies etc.😂

Any other non golfers been struck down by this current trend of chasing a little white ball about and thus spoiling a good walk?

Sorry to digress from the original topic.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy