Reloading

Best way to start is to sit with an experienced reloader to see the whole process.

There are also lots of videos on YouTube

Unfortunately, you are coming into it at a bad time as a lot of components, especially primers and bullets, are extremely difficult to obtain and have risen a lot in price.

Assess why you want to reload - if its to save money and you are only shooting one calibre then I probably would not bother. The outlay on equipment to set up can be expensive. Plus sides are you can tailor the round to your rifle and it becomes a hobby in itself. google RFDs near me and you may find some that deal from home and can offer second hand gear or lower prices than retail.

Have you got any kit yet, billm? I'm going to be on The Lizard quite a bit over the summer and would happily show you the ropes if you had the bulkier stuff like a good single stage press. I could bring other things like dies, scales, trickler etc.

It's also down to the number of rounds you use. I am reloading mostly 223 and when i last I looked reloaded rounds worked out to be a 1/3 of boxed price. Won't take long to get your money back. Also reloading kit can be sold later so costs are not lost. 

It also allows me to buy in components so I always have stock. 

Initial outlay will cost you but the value will stay in those bits if you look after them.   The 222 is a great little cartridge to load for and gives you a choice of what bulet you want to shoot whereas buying acros the counter your stuck with what they happen to have in stock...if they do.   Keep it simple on the reloading gear you purchase. It isn't rocket science BUT best results come from care in the way you do it and pride in the result.

• 1 month later...

222 expensive?  Nonsense!  crack on.  I can reload my 223 which takes more powder for around 50p/load.  I anneal brass to make it last longer, pay 24p/bullet and buy once fired Sako brass for around £25/50 which I get a minimum of 5 to 8 reloads from.  Primers although going up are still cheap.

Happy to help if you need hints and tips. Best to buy and read a reloading manual as there are pitfalls which you need to be very well aware of.  I recommend the Lee 2nd Edition or later manual.  It's very comprehensive.

Also, there are software tools to help establish likely pressure models for different powders to help you pick the best match for your barrel and bullet type/weight, such as GRT and PMAX.  These are freeware and taking over somewhat from Quickload.  Personally, I use GRT.

You'll also find it essential or at least very helpful to buy or borrow a chronograph to test your loads as you need MVs to establish likely chamber pressures, trajectory, and truing of ballistic calculators like Strelok if you use them.  Otherwise, you can use the stated BC of the bullet and work out bullet drops at 200 and 300 yds to group centres from 100 yds which also gives an indication of velocity and for your drop charts.