Rabbits have completely disappeared

nigeleyre

The rabbits have completely disappeared from my part of the Scottish Borders, Last year they were recovering from the Liver disease.  By Autumn they were gone completely and this year absolutely nothing, not a single rabbit anywhere on the farm.  Has something evil been put down for them again?  Anyone else found this?

21 minutes ago, nigeleyre said:

The rabbits have completely disappeared from my part of the Scottish Borders, Last year they were recovering from the Liver disease.  By Autumn they were gone completely and this year absolutely nothing, not a single rabbit anywhere on the farm.  Has something evil been put down for them again?  Anyone else found this?

I am just outside Kelso and in the past 3 or 4 years there has been a steady decline of them.

Yes vhd has been around for a long time. At first it killed adult rabbits the latest virus kills the Young as well. Hundreds of rabbits have disappeared from farms in a week and I’ve only ever seen a few dead ones. The more rabbits in the area the virus kills more of them them in no time. A few rabbits are about in parts of Cheshire, more are returning now north of the Mersey. Most of the rabbits die underground, their must be a lot of them, maybe when ( new) rabbits use old warrens they disturb the dead rabbits and the virus and it starts again. 

Yes crow and magpies would feed on rabbits killed on the roads . The food supply would have stopped overnight for them. The environment around rabbit Warrens has changed for any wildlife using it. Some  warrens and hedgerows show no sign of rabbits ever been there. I’ve seen myxomatosis come and go over the years and rabbits have always recovered. Vhd can be carried by dogs or people from infected areas. It would be good if it could be reordered when and were the rabbits (disappear) . 

We used to have loads of rabbits here but I couldn't tell you when I last shot one.I could count 25 in the small field beside the house any morning while having breakfast, now there are none there.All the local farms were full of rabbits and the farmers complained about them all the time. I have been on these farms a lot shooting geese and woodcock during the season plus cutting firewood from fallen trees in spring and recently picking elderflower. I also have bee hives there so I am on these farms a lot and I can honestly say in the last 4 years I have not seen a rabbit on any of them where as before we would have shot 100's on each every year.