Shooting on allotments

villaman

50 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Netting, has that been tried?

most of the allotment owners today are tree huggers, if they see a bird tangled in the netting they would more than likely report you for cruelty.

today shooting over allotments is a mine field, who owns the land? who owns the sporting rights? will the committee allow it? only need one person to complain to the committee or report you to the police saying a stray pellet hit their green house, as Walker said gone are the days when most old boys had an air rifle in the shed to shoot the pests, the tree huggers, the woke brigade, the Packham followers have taken over the asylum.

go on most allotment websites and look at the abuse anyone gets when they mention shooting birds or rabbits for that matter.

3 minutes ago, old'un said:

most of the allotment owners today are tree huggers, if they see a bird tangled in the netting they would more than likely report you for cruelty.

today shooting over allotments is a mine field, who owns the land? who owns the sporting rights? will the committee allow it? only need one person to complain to the committee or report you to the police saying a stray pellet hit their green house, as Walker said gone are the days when most old boys had an air rifle in the shed to shoot the pests, the tree huggers, the woke brigade, the Packham followers have taken over the asylum.

go on most allotment websites and look at the abuse anyone gets when they mention shooting birds or rabbits for that matter.

I quite agree with the above. It may be a lost cause.

Get written permission off the committee to allow you to shoot vermin I did that for the foxes on our allotments as people were losing chickens through the day as they were used to human being around I get asked to shoot rats crows and jackdaw our site is allotment association owned by the church with land agent collecting the rents each year you will become very popular with  livestock owners good luck 

26 minutes ago, Ian willetts said:

Get written permission off the committee to allow you to shoot vermin I did that for the foxes on our allotments as people were losing chickens through the day as they were used to human being around I get asked to shoot rats crows and jackdaw our site is allotment association owned by the church with land agent collecting the rents each year you will become very popular with  livestock owners good luck 

if its council owned he has not got a cat in hell's chance of getting permission.

5 hours ago, old'un said:

Agree with this.

For what was probably approaching a couple of decades, I controlled the rabbits on three sets of horse paddocks all in different areas. One of the paddocks had some allotments adjoining it. Over the years it became increasingly tiresome dealing with the 'hassle' from both the owners of some of the horses, 'nosey walkers' ,and the police being called on a regualr occurence.

Sad as I had some great evenings stalking them with my s410.

Gave it up in the end on those areas.

Let some one more 'resilient' than myself deal with it.

14 hours ago, ditchman said:

is it council owned ?

No privately owned and I shoot on the allotments , surrounding fields & and cricket pitch . Have permission from allotment committee and land owner , so no problem with that . They all complain about rabbits and pigeons so no tree huggers here 

Edited by villaman

But, but, but what about that nasty toxic lead from your one or half dozen air rifle pellets landing on the soil and making all the produce, the cabbages, the onions, the raspberries deadly poisonous! Polluted by lead. Oh! Mummy! Help!

Or at least get it done by 2025 when BASC's voluntary lead ban comes into force! 'Cos until then it's unpoisonous. BASC. The UK's "the Voice of Shooting". Bless them...years ago when people expressed such they locked them up in Bedlam.

Edited by enfieldspares

Hi villaman rabbits rats and fox are different under the law than pigeons. It’s against the law to kill pigeons unless you can rely on the general licence for the country you are using it in . I shoot in and around similar places, as 7daysinaweek said resilience is needed . 

3 hours ago, villaman said:

No privately owned and I shoot on the allotments , surrounding fields & and cricket pitch . Have permission from allotment committee and land owner , so no problem with that . They all complain about rabbits and pigeons so no tree huggers here 

well if you have permission from the allotment committee and land owner plus all the other plot holders then get on with it.

it sounds as if you are well covered legally, as you say in your first post..."They have done every method possible to scare them off"

and this one "They all complain about rabbits and pigeons"

so as long as all the plot owners agree that its okay for you to shoot the pigeons then I would say you are good to go, but get it in writing.

well that sounds good....

3 hours ago, villaman said:

im being really 2anal" here.....but i would write a short risk assesment ...and a method statement.....photo copy it and give one to the allotment commitee and keep the other one for yourself incase an active old bill turns up.....

30 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

And ensure you have third party insurance!  :cool1:

Goes with out saying as I have FAC as well 

24 minutes ago, ditchman said:

well that sounds good....

im being really 2anal" here.....but i would write a short risk assesment ...and a method statement.....photo copy it and give one to the allotment commitee and keep the other one for yourself incase an active old bill turns up.....

And why when I have permission 

Edited by villaman

7 minutes ago, villaman said:

Goes with out saying as I have FAC as well 

And why when I have permission 

you dont have to do anything i suggest..........its just a feeling i have the way things are going...just being really proactive.....if the old bill get the slightest worry or complaint from some tree hugger...........they will close you down ...fact.........if you can go above and beyond with just a simple bit of paperwork....they will tell the complaining person everything is well handled within the law.........

just my view anyway

34 minutes ago, ditchman said:

you dont have to do anything i suggest..........its just a feeling i have the way things are going...just being really proactive.....if the old bill get the slightest worry or complaint from some tree hugger...........they will close you down ...fact.........if you can go above and beyond with just a simple bit of paperwork....they will tell the complaining person everything is well handled within the law.........

just my view anyway

But if you have permission to shoot from land owner and allotment committee how the hell can they close you down . More scare mongering  

I was shooting at this allotments about a year ago , when 7 police were in the fields helicopte over head . I called them over saying can I help , they were looking for a missing person and asked if I had seen anyone. Told them I had a firearm with me  , all they said , can I stop shooting until they had gone  !!

anther time just close the gate and locked it  , police came by stopped and asked if we are working late  as I was in a van . Told them we have permission to shoot on the allotments 

Turns out one was into shooting and talked over a hour about shooting and guns . Didn’t even ask names or permission letters 

like I said a lot of scare mongering goes on