Bi annual MOT in the UK

DUNKS

Good plan for cars under 10 years old together with an extension to 4 years for new cars first mot. Stuff is so much more safe and reliable than even ten years ago. Should tighten up on the emmissions get rid of some of the smokers. 

Certainly keep it for older car's and Fail if they have the same advisories for 2 or more year's on the MOT , The electrician at work decided to buy a car for his daughter ( His excuse) to learn in  a Mazda mx5 and took it for an early (1 month early ) MOT  , Well it failed on 1 dangerous fault 7 major fault's and 1 minor of those 3 of the major's were listed as advisories on every year's mot history since 2012 10 years ago .and the dangerous one was advised for 3 year's.

By the way the insurance wanted 2 1/2 grand to insure his 17 year old daughter for it , He only paid 900 quid for it.

Edited by Andy H

1 hour ago, Andy H said:

Certainly keep it for older car's and Fail if they have the same advisories for 2 or more year's on the MOT , The electrician at work decided to buy a car for his daughter ( His excuse) to learn in  a Mazda mx5 and took it for an early (1 month early ) MOT  , Well it failed on 1 dangerous fault 7 major fault's and 1 minor of those 3 of the major's were listed as advisories on every year's mot history since 2012 10 years ago .and the dangerous one was advised for 3 year's.

By the way the insurance wanted 2 1/2 grand to insure his 17 year old daughter for it , He only paid 900 quid for it.

That won't work out: MOT inspectors sometimes advise a part could not be examined to protect themselves - such as brake pipes covered in grease or other material. They also now advise if surface rust is seen - those would be repeated year on year. My regular MOT chap says go ahead and protect the pipes - don't worry about some advisories being commonly misunderstood.

Edited by Dave-G

Biannually is the system we were used to in France. Had both newish and an old 05 plates Pug ( Peugeot)- never felt it dangerous and the dynamic testing equipment was far more complex than just the rolling brake test and Chuck it on the ramp that we have here. 

One such piece of equipment that I haven’t seen at a UK testing station, is a vibrating plate system that simulates suspension movement and some how, it picks up wear and tear. 
can’t say I thought the vehicles to be any more dangerous than anything we have here!

So, I’m all for the two yearly interval. After all, an MOT test is only relevant to the condition of the vehicle at time of test. 

1 hour ago, Jaymo said:

Biannually is the system we were used to in France. Had both newish and an old 05 plates Pug ( Peugeot)- never felt it dangerous and the dynamic testing equipment was far more complex than just the rolling brake test and Chuck it on the ramp that we have here. 

One such piece of equipment that I haven’t seen at a UK testing station, is a vibrating plate system that simulates suspension movement and some how, it picks up wear and tear. 
can’t say I thought the vehicles to be any more dangerous than anything we have here!

So, I’m all for the two yearly interval. After all, an MOT test is only relevant to the condition of the vehicle at time of test. 

My regular MOT station uses the vibrating plate system.

Edited by London Best

On 02/07/2022 at 08:53, DUNKS said:

I see from the news this has reared it's head again. Any thoughts?

My opinion is that it's a good idea providing a motor gets serviced every year. Apart from emissions my service is almost an MOT in itself.

This. I don't like doing it but, for sure, it makes the lazy and the feckless at least get dangerous faults fixed. From a consumer viewpoint a bi-annual MOT will reduce the number of MOT Stations which will then increase the test cost to match the income they'd expect of the test were still annual.

25 minutes ago, 243deer said:

I used potato wires for the exhaust on an old mini back in the day - they lasted ages

I bow to your superior automotive engineering skills sir 👍.

Your post reminded me of a mates roadside fix on his mini ( many years ago).

His throttle cable snapped , whilst on a daytrip to Wales.  His fix was two boot laces , attached to the throttle , and into the drivers window . He got his car back to Wolverhampton with the use of his hand throttle 🥴 .

On 02/07/2022 at 07:53, DUNKS said:

I see from the news this has reared it's head again. Any thoughts?

My opinion is that it's a good idea providing a motor gets serviced every year. Apart from emissions my service is almost an MOT in itself.

same as the 10yr shot gun cert😃

1 hour ago, mel b3 said:

I bow to your superior automotive engineering skills sir 👍.

Your post reminded me of a mates roadside fix on his mini ( many years ago).

His throttle cable snapped , whilst on a daytrip to Wales.  His fix was two boot laces , attached to the throttle , and into the drivers window . He got his car back to Wolverhampton with the use of his hand throttle 🥴 .

you say that Mel about boot laces, back in 1970 I bought a Ford Aguila, form a small local garage for £30 it came with a dubious 12 months MOT, so with my new pride and joy me and the girl friend planned a trip to Stourport-on-Severn, it got us there and back but on the way back it started to pee down, turned the wiper motor on and nothing, it was raining that heavy I had to stop, we had a cunning plan, so off came the boot laces from my shoes, one lace tied to the wiper arm on my side and the other one on the girl friends side, with our arms out the window, she pulled then I pulled, it worked and it got us home but we were both soaked to the skin.

all the fun of owning a British made car in 70s, 80s.

That brings back memories of the old Ford Popular, 1172cc sidevalve, 3 speed gearbox and vacuum wipers.

So in heavy rain you would pull away in first, then second with the wipers going like the clappers because the engine was revving, then change to 3rd at a heady 35mph and the wipers would just crawl across the screen.

That car was chopped in early for something more civilised.

18 minutes ago, old'un said:

you say that Mel about boot laces, back in 1970 I bought a Ford Aguila, form a small local garage for £30 it came with a dubious 12 months MOT, so with my new pride and joy me and the girl friend planned a trip to Stourport-on-Severn, it got us there and back but on the way back it started to pee down, turned the wiper motor on and nothing, it was raining that heavy I had to stop, we had a cunning plan, so off came the boot laces from my shoes, one lace tied to the wiper arm on my side and the other one on the girl friends side, with our arms out the window, she pulled then I pulled, it worked and it got us home but we were both soaked to the skin.

all the fun of owning a British made car in 70s, 80s.

2 minutes ago, amateur said:

That brings back memories of the old Ford Popular, 1172cc sidevalve, 3 speed gearbox and vacuum wipers.

So in heavy rain you would pull away in first, then second with the wipers going like the clappers because the engine was revving, then change to 3rd at a heady 35mph and the wipers would just crawl across the screen.

That car was chopped in early for something more civilised.

A mate of mine( my first boss when I left school and went to work in a garage), did the pre delivery inspections on new hillman imps . Windscreen wipers,  and heaters , we're optional extras 😄.

Another mate has a collection of old cars . One of them is an old rolls Royce,  that has one small Windscreen wiper , that's in front of the driver / chauffeur.  It's operated from a chrome lever above the windscreen. 

I am not in favour of extending the MOT period. Servicing has little to do with car safety and a lot can happen in two years. One of my sons' friends does MOTs and has a few horror stories. I was present at one where a woman drove her car in with the front ventilated disc split. One half was totally missing and the pads were making a racket pressing on the webs, which did join the discs. I have no idea how she was unaware of it. A massive thumping through the brake pedal should have been a clue.

8 hours ago, Gordon R said:

I am not in favour of extending the MOT period. Servicing has little to do with car safety and a lot can happen in two years. One of my sons' friends does MOTs and has a few horror stories. I was present at one where a woman drove her car in with the front ventilated disc split. One half was totally missing and the pads were making a racket pressing on the webs, which did join the discs. I have no idea how she was unaware of it. A massive thumping through the brake pedal should have been a clue.

I bet she just turned the radio up!  :w00t:

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I bet she just turned the radio up!  

and thought the song had a particularly effective bass track

First thing I do when I get in my Wife's car is turn the radio off to listen for anything untoward

Edited by discobob