Pulsar Talion XQ38

steve_b_wales

On 02/07/2022 at 20:30, steve_b_wales said:

I've just been reading about the new thermal scope. Looks pretty good and a price just under £2000. If I read the spec' correctly, it can be used on 5 different rifles, similar to the Pulsar N750 I use to own.  I could be tempted!

I have a pulsar xq38 thermion on my. 22lr, cracking bit of kit, all the pulsar thermals have the 5 different shooting profiles, so can go on 5 rifles, I don't change mine, I do use the profiles for different ammo, ie

profile A, is for eley subs

Profile B, is for cci velocitors 

Profile C, for cci quiets 

All zeroed at different ranges

A at 50yardsB at 100 yards

C at 25 yards for rats, 

Also each profile has 10 distance aim points, 

May sound complicated but it take couple of seconds to change, 

26 minutes ago, colin lad said:

I have a pulsar xq38 thermion on my. 22lr, cracking bit of kit, all the pulsar thermals have the 5 different shooting profiles, so can go on 5 rifles, I don't change mine, I do use the profiles for different ammo, ie

profile A, is for eley subs

Profile B, is for cci velocitors 

Profile C, for cci quiets 

All zeroed at different ranges

A at 50yardsB at 100 yards

C at 25 yards for rats, 

Also each profile has 10 distance aim points, 

May sound complicated but it take couple of seconds to change, 

Sounds good Colin. I used to have a Pulsar NV 750 and changed it between my .243 and .204, It was okay. I would want to change a thermal scope for my .243 and .22LR. I've read up on the xq38 and like it. I'll hang on a bit and decide what to do. I have a thermal spotter and NV scope, but have always wanted a thermal scope.

Thanks.

10 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

Sounds good Colin. I used to have a Pulsar NV 750 and changed it between my .243 and .204, It was okay. I would want to change a thermal scope for my .243 and .22LR. I've read up on the xq38 and like it. I'll hang on a bit and decide what to do. I have a thermal spotter and NV scope, but have always wanted a thermal scope.

Thanks.

It certainly is a game changer, I run it along side a helion 2 spotter, great combo, though would say if your putting it on a 243 then maybe thermion xq50 would be better, my mate has a xm50 on his swift and that is awesome at range due to higher base mag, 

20 minutes ago, colin lad said:

It certainly is a game changer, I run it along side a helion 2 spotter, great combo, though would say if your putting it on a 243 then maybe thermion xq50 would be better, my mate has a xm50 on his swift and that is awesome at range due to higher base mag, 

i have also got the xm50 on my 243 super varmint really like this scope the only down side is the battery life, wish it ad the same kind of battery as my pulsar 38f

19 hours ago, oowee said:

Don't do it. Better with digital at this price point. 

Hello, I'm with you oowwee, but next time if optics warehouse have a demo night near me I might have a look at these thermals just out of interest , my first NV was an old tubed jobby that weighed a ton 🙄

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I'm with you oowwee, but next time if optics warehouse have a demo night near me I might have a look at these thermals just out of interest , my first NV was an old tubed jobby that weighed a ton 🙄

It's not without reason that they are not allowed for some controlled shooting. 

For £1500 you can get a Drone that will give better clarity and confirmation alongside a thermal spotter. The large objective captures light even in poor conditions. 

Not saying they are not good value but thermal needs good contrast to work well and the higher end units have a far greater user margin. That said if you live somewhere dry they would no doubt be superb. 

1 hour ago, oowee said:

For £1500 you can get a Drone that will give better clarity and confirmation alongside a thermal spotter. The large objective captures light even in poor conditions. 

Not saying they are not good value but thermal needs good contrast to work well and the higher end units have a far greater user margin. That said if you live somewhere dry they would no doubt be superb. 

Hello, alas I'm still using my MK 1 Photon but it's only for ratting 

5 hours ago, oowee said:

as you say oowee thermals are great sometimes but slightest bit of moisture in the air can effect the picture quality so good backup nv is always on hand, just purchased the infiray tl50 seems ok upto press

I have had most of the digital scopes ranging from Pulsar /  Pard 007/  Starlight Archer / i got 2 Wraiths  on 243 and 308 but my best scope is my Pulsar xq50 awesome for Foxing no ir light to spook them i use an ATN  Mars 640x480 Thermal scope to spot with The Thermal quality from the ATN to the Pulsar xq50 is brilliant 

Edited by Rim Fire

• 5 weeks later...

I had a look through the Talion last weekend at the game show and compared it to the Thermion XP50 lrf.

the Thermion has a much clearer picture but if you are shooting fox and deer out to 200/250 yards then the Talion will do the job, it’s lighter than the thermion and three grand cheaper 

4 hours ago, Whitester said:

I had a look through the Talion last weekend at the game show and compared it to the Thermion XP50 lrf.

the Thermion has a much clearer picture but if you are shooting fox and deer out to 200/250 yards then the Talion will do the job, it’s lighter than the thermion and three grand cheaper 

It would only be for fox and rabbit, so it would suit my needs. 

Thanks.