Cooling hot barrels

SainIT

In Italy at the moment (and it will definitely be the same at the FITASC Sporting World Cup in 10 days time) we are shooting in temperatures of 36C+ and barrels simply don’t cool from one FITASC Sporting stand to the next. I don’t look at my barrels normally, but the heat waves emanating from the rib catches my peripheral vision and cause havoc with far targets, particulaly crossers.

Can I cool the barrels of my Browning Sporter One with a wet cloth while shooting? Or at least cool the rib? Won’t they warp or get damaged? I would really appreciate some advice!

1 hour ago, SainIT said:

In Italy at the moment (and it will definitely be the same at the FITASC Sporting World Cup in 10 days time) we are shooting in temperatures of 36C+ and barrels simply don’t cool from one FITASC Sporting stand to the next. I don’t look at my barrels normally, but the heat waves emanating from the rib catches my peripheral vision and cause havoc with far targets, particulaly crossers.

Can I cool the barrels of my Browning Sporter One with a wet cloth while shooting? Or at least cool the rib? Won’t they warp or get damaged? I would really appreciate some advice!

Barrels don't heat evenly - the hottest part of the barrel will be at or near the chamber. As the gas expands down the barrel, it will cool, so don't be concerned about the rib warping from uneven heat distribution, because it doesn't get even heat distribution as it is anyway.

Personally I think a wet cloth will be more trouble than its worth. If your ribs are ventilated the water will get in between them and surface tension may keep it there long enough to cause spot rusting. Your wet cloth may also gather dirt and grit in a hot and potentially dusty environment, personally not what I would want to rub on my guns. 

Whilst hot barrels certainly take longer to cool down, 36 C is still cool relative to a hot barrel. Keep the gun out of the slip between stands and walk a bit more slowly? 🤣 

Thanks,I think I will try a moist cloth then. My biggest fear was warping but Smudger is right, the heat distribution is uneven so a clammy cloth shouldnt be a problem. The radiating heatwaves is probably more of a mental disturbance than a physical problem.

On the same topic, and one of the reasons I asked, In South Africa I had a very old Perazzi MX8 which I bought secondhand, 60's model. When you shot it hot on American trap the pattern moved up as the round progressed!

Some years ago a world record attempt at the number of clays shot in an hour was done locally by Colin Hewish, a notable shot in his day, and organised by Avalon Guns. Three Beretta 390's were used with loaders constantly dipping them in 45 gallon drums of water to cool them down before loading. An astronomical number of clays were shot and all the guns functioned perfectly. None of them suffered any ill effects......apart from Colin, he was a gibbering wreck!

Edited by Wylye

In those temps the cloth will dry faster than the barrels will cool (bit of an exaggeration) the other thing is that any moisture in the rib could glint in the sunlight and cause more sight picture issues, I was recently shooting at a lesson, we shot 175 carts in 90 minutes on a skeet range, there was some heat haze but  the walk from one stand to the next and a short discussion and it seemed to have cooled enough. Maybe you're over thinking it?

I shot on Wednesday, 37°C, and used a damp towel, which works quite well. You just have to dampen it regularly. My rib is still attached! Yesterday 33°, the same. From Wednesay (competition starts Thursday) it is supposed to be from 36 to over 40°C. I really feel sorry for the British and Scandinavian shots!

31 minutes ago, SainIT said:

I shot on Wednesday, 37°C, and used a damp towel, which works quite well. You just have to dampen it regularly. My rib is still attached! Yesterday 33°, the same. From Wednesay (competition starts Thursday) it is supposed to be from 36 to over 40°C. I really feel sorry for the British and Scandinavian shots!

Glad it worked, evaporation of the water is key, will take the temperature down quite quickly, but as you say needs to be re dampened regularly.  :good: