chips

what do the missive purists cook their chips in

1. Lard
  2. beef fat
  3. peanut oil
  4. sunflower oil
  5. rapeseed oil
  6. corn oil 

me ole gran used to fry a bit of Haddock in butter....and serve it up with round chips dipped in batter fried in beef fat.......squeeze of lemon and some black pepper on the fish and sarsons vinegar on the battered chips..........

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

what do the missive purists cook their chips in

1. Lard
  2. beef fat
  3. peanut oil
  4. sunflower oil
  5. rapeseed oil
  6. corn oil 

me ole gran used to fry a bit of Haddock in butter....and serve it up with round chips dipped in batter fried in beef fat.......squeeze of lemon and some black pepper on the fish and sarsons vinegar on the battered chips..........

In Yorkshire 'twas always beef dripping. Here in Leicestershire it's vegetable oil.

Grandma used beef dripping, Mum used lard (and later switched to vegetable oil after reading all the health advice).

I consider myself lucky if I get a plate of oven chips from my wife!

When I had a chip pan it was always sunflower oil. We bought one of those air fryers but were never really happy with it; as my teenaged daughter said…’Who wants healthy chips?’ 
Fair comment. 
Anyhow, since moving in with OH we’ve never had a chip pan, so only ate them when dining out sometimes. 
We now and again made Nigellas potato wedges, done in the oven, but after trying some of those Gusto meals we’ve discovered a great way to do oven chips. 
Chip your spuds then put into boiling water for ten mins. While they’re boiling place one or two tablespoons of sunflower oil into an oven tray, and heat in the oven. 
Drain chips ( I pat them dry on a towel ) and place in hot oven tray ( carefully cos if not drained properly they will spit ) give em a good shake to ensure they’ve all been coated in hot oil and put back in the now very hot oven. Turn as and when necessary. On removing from oven sprinkle with red wine vinegar. Sorted. 👍

Edited by Scully

My favorite frying oil is RDB (refined, bleached, deodorized) coconut oil.
Gives a nice dry crispy skin with a neutral flavour compared to most other oils (no coconut undertones).
I've used it in a deep fryer but that was too expensive so started making chips and roast potatoes in the oven with a procedure similar to Scully mentioned above.
Nowadays my wife insists on supermarket oven chips and roasties as only hydrogenated vegetable oils are truly healthy don't ya know...