ditchman

what do the missive purists cook their chips in

1. Lard
  2. beef fat
  3. peanut oil
  4. sunflower oil
  5. rapeseed oil
  6. corn oil 

me ole gran used to fry a bit of Haddock in butter....and serve it up with round chips dipped in batter fried in beef fat.......squeeze of lemon and some black pepper on the fish and sarsons vinegar on the battered chips..........

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

what do the missive purists cook their chips in

1. Lard
  2. beef fat
  3. peanut oil
  4. sunflower oil
  5. rapeseed oil
  6. corn oil 

me ole gran used to fry a bit of Haddock in butter....and serve it up with round chips dipped in batter fried in beef fat.......squeeze of lemon and some black pepper on the fish and sarsons vinegar on the battered chips..........

In Yorkshire 'twas always beef dripping. Here in Leicestershire it's vegetable oil.

When I had a chip pan it was always sunflower oil. We bought one of those air fryers but were never really happy with it; as my teenaged daughter said…’Who wants healthy chips?’ 
Fair comment. 
Anyhow, since moving in with OH we’ve never had a chip pan, so only ate them when dining out sometimes. 
We now and again made Nigellas potato wedges, done in the oven, but after trying some of those Gusto meals we’ve discovered a great way to do oven chips. 
Chip your spuds then put into boiling water for ten mins. While they’re boiling place one or two tablespoons of sunflower oil into an oven tray, and heat in the oven. 
Drain chips ( I pat them dry on a towel ) and place in hot oven tray ( carefully cos if not drained properly they will spit ) give em a good shake to ensure they’ve all been coated in hot oil and put back in the now very hot oven. Turn as and when necessary. On removing from oven sprinkle with red wine vinegar. Sorted. 👍

Edited by Scully

My favorite frying oil is RDB (refined, bleached, deodorized) coconut oil.
Gives a nice dry crispy skin with a neutral flavour compared to most other oils (no coconut undertones).
I've used it in a deep fryer but that was too expensive so started making chips and roast potatoes in the oven with a procedure similar to Scully mentioned above.
Nowadays my wife insists on supermarket oven chips and roasties as only hydrogenated vegetable oils are truly healthy don't ya know...

• 3 months later...

This might not sit with the English chip standards of what constitutes the perfect chip, but these are my findings and personal views on the matter.

Forget your twice and thrice/triple cooked chips..Ive done it a number of times and find that a chips cooked straight through from raw give the best results. Also I know the English advocate the use of Maris Piper potatoes for chips, well I think the Kerr Pink makes better tasting chips and is a better all round versatile variety of spud.

The spuds I use and always have used are grown in the village. I get them fresh dug this time of year. They are peeled with a small paring knife rather than a veg peeler. I find that not only can I peel quicker with a knife, but like when makng roast potatoes,peeling with a knife leaves more edges and corners to crisp up and soak up flavour.

Growing up chips from your friends houses always tasted better for some reason. Like most back in the day, lard or dripping was used until the likes of ''crisp & dry'' came along. Crisp and Dry rapeseed oil is what I always use for homemade chips. But here is a little tip and one I've used for years. When you have your chip pan/fryer topped up with your desired oil of choice, slip in a half or a full little block of lard or beef dripping. Then you have the best of both worlds. You are cooking in a moderatly healthy way and you still get the nice taste of the lard or dripping.

One thing I do and that is to not to skimp on the shake off, of the excess oil/grease after frying. I actually sing a bit of Luther Vandross to my chips..When you think Ive shook you too much babe, I gonna shake you a little bit more.... I also give them plenty of shaking action while cooking.Then tumbled into a kicthen papered lined bowl and you have nice crunchy chip that is fluffy and soft in the middle. Hit with vineger and salt, in that order, or my new found favourite seasoning of aromat.

I make these once and week and have a 2.5kg bag peeled and chipped in around 10mins. These were had with shop bought pies and peas, but will vary it weekly with the likes of sausage beans and chips,home battered fish ect or a butchers pie.Two things I always have with my chips no matter what, is mayo and a finely diced raw onion

Screenshot_20221004-212212_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221004-212603_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221004-212202_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221004-212149_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221004-212135_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221011-093901_Gallery.jpg

Edited by SuperGoose75

Sunflower oil as it handles higher temperatures!

A decent potato (King Edward, Maris Piper) peeled, chopped and washed!!! Then most importantly dried. 

Half cook them (until they get loose) take them out and set aside (to cool down) if you can wait. Then whack the oil back on until it’s hot, cook them to almost done, shaking them so they move through the oil levels. Remove for 1 minute leaving the oil heating up and pop theM back in until they sound like they are going to snap/crack usually 2/3 minutes!! 

Sounds a faff but they are great. 

12 hours ago, Lampwick said:

Sunflower oil as it handles higher temperatures!

A decent potato (King Edward, Maris Piper) peeled, chopped and washed!!! Then most importantly dried. 

Half cook them (until they get loose) take them out and set aside (to cool down) if you can wait. Then whack the oil back on until it’s hot, cook them to almost done, shaking them so they move through the oil levels. Remove for 1 minute leaving the oil heating up and pop theM back in until they sound like they are going to snap/crack usually 2/3 minutes!! 

Sounds a faff but they are great. 

That's exactly the way I cook mine too, only I prefer a variety grown local to me called Cabaret which are a Maris Piper cross. 

These have won our local Big Chip-Off compatition a few times in the past and are also in it again tonight.  If you are in the Garstang area, why not call into Owd Nells and join six local farmers and a bunch of chip lovers voting for their favourate spud while also raising money for MND charity.

22 hours ago, SuperGoose75 said:

This might not sit with the English chip standards of what constitutes the perfect chip, but these are my findings and personal views on the matter.

Forget your twice and thrice/triple cooked chips..Ive done it a number of times and find that a chips cooked straight through from raw give the best results. Also I know the English advocate the use of Maris Piper potatoes for chips, well I think the Kerr Pink makes better tasting chips and is a better all round versatile variety of spud.

The spuds I use and always have used are grown in the village. I get them fresh dug this time of year. They are peeled with a small paring knife rather than a veg peeler. I find that not only can I peel quicker with a knife, but like when makng roast potatoes,peeling with a knife leaves more edges and corners to crisp up and soak up flavour.

Growing up chips from your friends houses always tasted better for some reason. Like most back in the day, lard or dripping was used until the likes of ''crisp & dry'' came along. Crisp and Dry rapeseed oil is what I always use for homemade chips. But here is a little tip and one I've used for years. When you have your chip pan/fryer topped up with your desired oil of choice, slip in a half or a full little block of lard or beef dripping. Then you have the best of both worlds. You are cooking in a moderatly healthy way and you still get the nice taste of the lard or dripping.

One thing I do and that is to not to skimp on the shake off, of the excess oil/grease after frying. I actually sing a bit of Luther Vandross to my chips..When you think Ive shook you too much babe, I gonna shake you a little bit more.... I also give them plenty of shaking action while cooking.Then tumbled into a kicthen papered lined bowl and you have nice crunchy chip that is fluffy and soft in the middle. Hit with vineger and salt, in that order, or my new found favourite seasoning of aromat.

I make these once and week and have a 2.5kg bag peeled and chipped in around 10mins. These were had with shop bought pies and peas, but will vary it weekly with the likes of sausage beans and chips,home battered fish ect or a butchers pie.Two things I always have with my chips no matter what, is mayo and a finely diced raw onion

Screenshot_20221004-212212_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221004-212202_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221004-212149_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221004-212135_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221011-093901_Gallery.jpg

Football Special!!

Haven't seen thst in years,talk about a memory from my childhood.

1 hour ago, gmm243 said:

Football Special!!

Haven't seen thst in years,talk about a memory from my childhood.

Ah you are familiar with my county's iconic soft drink. The actual bottle in the photo was one of a novelty edition to celebrate an anniversary of some sort. The company has gone from strength to strength and is still based in the beautiful town of Ramelton.

https://football-special.com/

I used it here to make the batter for the fish, hence why it is on the photo.

Edited by SuperGoose75

I suppose everyones idea of what makes the pefect chip is subjective. 

For example there is a well known ''chippy'' in my general region that is famous for its fish & chips. You go in the door and the walls are plastered with all the awards they have won. I find it average at best.

Same as the famous- Leo Burdocks in Dublin with the wall of all the famous celebs who have eaten from there! and the numerous youtube videos of all the tourists trying it out... again just average fare IMO 

The twice and thrice cooked chips have been a marketing ploy in foodie joints for a while now. In fairness some of the ones Ive tried are not too bad at all. As said I have tried the process a number of times and its not for me. I like a crunchy exterior to my chip rather than a hard one if that makes sense. 

I live on a coastal peninsula and I have no problem in saying that it is near impossible( bar for one or two places) to get a decent fish & chips, a disgrace really, as people dont set their bar very high when it comes to the standard and quality of what they are serving and eating.

There is an Italian traditional fish and chip and ice-cream parlour that IMO serves the bests chips in the world in the near-by city, and they knock the socks off Leo -Burdocks ect..!

Murgatroyds in Leeds is a pilgrimage I want to make at some stage and Anstruther in Scotland to try out the renowned fish and chips.

2 hours ago, SuperGoose75 said:

Ah you are familiar with my county's iconic soft drink. The actual bottle in the photo was one of a novelty edition to celebrate an anniversary of some sort. The company has gone from strength to strength and is still based in the beautiful town of Ramelton.

https://football-special.com/

I used it here to make the batter for the fish, hence why it is on the photo.

Remember drinking it as a very young lad in the hotel in Rathmullan.

Hadn't seen it for years but someone said they had seen it recently in Tesco made by Maine.

3 hours ago, gmm243 said:

Remember drinking it as a very young lad in the hotel in Rathmullan.

Hadn't seen it for years but someone said they had seen it recently in Tesco made by Maine.

I knew maine was involved somehow, but thought it was in the bottling and distributing of the drinks. I knew the old creamery building was no longer in use,  but I wasnt aware the drinks actually are now made outside of the county. Learn something new everyday as they say!

7 hours ago, SuperGoose75 said:

I knew maine was involved somehow, but thought it was in the bottling and distributing of the drinks. I knew the old creamery building was no longer in use,  but I wasnt aware the drinks actually are now made outside of the county. Learn something new everyday as they say!

Was pretty sure I saw Maine football special but I spotted this in Tesco tonight.Still made in Ramelton.

Screenshot_20221012-233338_Gallery.jpg

9 hours ago, gmm243 said:

Was pretty sure I saw Maine football special but I spotted this in Tesco tonight.Still made in Ramelton.

Screenshot_20221012-233338_Gallery.jpg

Apperently HQ is still in Ramelton but it is now produced in Co Antrim. It is also a drink from my childhood and my own children have it on occasion. A unique tasting ''mineral'' that goes well with chips ect..! 

I'll leave you with a couple of photos I took when in the wee town during the summer. You can see the old football special building in the background.

And in keeping with ditchmans thread I'll finish with a photo of what IMO are the best tasting chips in the world. These are 100% cooked in dripping ''I dont know if twice or thrice'' as they are just advertised as chips. Always get a pot of tea and buttered white bread to make chip butties with them. When I say best in the world, I just dont believe a chip can possibly taste any better.

Screenshot_20221012-155342_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221012-155337_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221012-155608_Gallery.jpg

15 minutes ago, SuperGoose75 said:

Apperently HQ is still in Ramelton but it is now produced in Co Antrim. It is also a drink from my childhood and my own children have it on occasion. A unique tasting ''mineral'' that goes well with chips ect..! 

I'll leave you with a couple of photos I took when in the wee town during the summer. You can see the old football special building in the background.

And in keeping with ditchmans thread I'll finish with a photo of what IMO are the best tasting chips in the world. These are 100% cooked in dripping ''I dont know if twice or thrice'' as they are just advertised as chips. Always get a pot of tea and buttered white bread to make chip butties with them. When I say best in the world, I just dont believe a chip can possibly taste any better.

Screenshot_20221012-155342_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221012-155337_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221012-155608_Gallery.jpg

I had it in my head that the maine drinks were a northern ireland thing. Used to look forward to the "maine man" driving round on Thursdays for our 6 bottles of fizzy when I was young. Cola, brown and white lemonade, apple, pineapple and cream soda was our usual. Never tried the football special though