Dew claws

1 hour ago, ShootingEgg said:

How many people here work spaniels with them still intact, know they can be removed at 3-5 days old but if not then would be a knock out job.

Just wondering if anyone has had issues working a dog with front ones intact.

you can work them with the dew claws intact ...BUT you MUST KEEP THE CLAW CLIPPED  RIGHT BACK ALL THE TIME

I read something recently about some study that found in some breeds removing dew claws caused issues later in life, something to do with the tendon receding up the leg.

I've seen people working labs having taped the dew claws up to try to protect them rather than have them removed

1 hour ago, Rob85 said:

I read something recently about some study that found in some breeds removing dew claws caused issues later in life, something to do with the tendon receding up the leg.

I've seen people working labs having taped the dew claws up to try to protect them rather than have them removed

You don't remove them on labs. Or i should say i never ever have, and don't know or heard of anyone that has....

Edited by ninjaferret

My Sprocker  must have had one missed so got a dew claw on rear right but missing on rear left she has worked hard on woods and moors and not had a problem last season ( she is coming up to 3 ) 

I keep it clipped and would like the rear one removed if she is put under for something else . She does have a nibble at it now and again but it’s never caused her a issue working! Bleeding etc It’s due a clip again soon

front dew claws are present but well tucked in but again clipped and given her no problem up to press 

Agriv8

71C527AB-2616-4745-8902-02F8C29D04EE.jpeg

0ADF800E-0AB9-4C58-AE21-D497F3BF8E5A.jpeg

There is an article in the Shooting Times* recently that looked into the removal of dew claws leading to arthritis in later years because of the changed pressure on the joint. Sounds plausible as the same thing happens to humans. 

*I think, it was either that or The Field. 

Not actually noticed the rear dew claws, he is chilled out at the moment, so was able to check haha. He does not have rear ones. He is a rescue and only 5months old, he was only sold at 4 months and was only with his owners 3 weeks. Lovely little chap but I only have limited information on him 

My old choccy lab Muffin did not have his removed and I am convinced he used them to climb and scamble up and over some serious territory down in Wales.  He never tore them and we never clipped them.   Keeping them clipped might just be a good idea but my attitude to taking them off is the same to American fashion of cutting dobermans ears short. They where born that way.

• 2 weeks later...