Butter

Rob85

Whats peoples take on the latest in food price hikes..... lurpak butter has apparently hit £7 for 500g in some shops. Personally I've never tried it but I can't imagine in tasting much different to other more reasonable priced butter.... and definitely not better than churning my own!

Hello, Clovers my favourite , I manage to find a large tub for £2.60 but that was some time ago, I agree on price rises ,we are all being ripped off, supermarkets will make any excuse to up prices, now their blaming the war in Ukraine, petrol is £10 a gallon, phew another rip off, just another point, here we are down 50 percent on our part of the Thames for boaters , narrow/pleasure, as cannot afford the diesel 🤔

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, Clovers my favourite , I manage to find a large tub for £2.60 but that was some time ago, I agree on price rises ,we are all being ripped off, supermarkets will make any excuse to up prices, now their blaming the war in Ukraine, petrol is £10 a gallon, phew another rip off, just another point, here we are down 50 percent on our part of the Thames for boaters , narrow/pleasure, as cannot afford the diesel 🤔

Hello, we have a Lidl and soon Aldi so I can shop where prices are better

2 hours ago, amateur said:

Lurpak, Denmark, EU, longer travel.

Buy English!

As above.

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, my farmer friend knows another farmer who was asked by Tesco to grow a field of carrots, a price agreed, but when it came to harvesting Tesco dropped the price by half, 🤔, farmer ploughed the field in disgust as there was no profit , Tesco are exploiters to every one 

Probably cheaper to ship them half way round the world, saving the planet.

3 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, my farmer friend knows another farmer who was asked by Tesco to grow a field of carrots, a price agreed, but when it came to harvesting Tesco dropped the price by half, 🤔, farmer ploughed the field in disgust as there was no profit , Tesco are exploiters to every one 

Your last sentence has it in a nutshell I think. Tesco and the other supermarkets are at this point just exploiting the market and jacking prices as high as they can. I find it funny when they promote their own brand veg and meat with a picture of the farmer on the label as if he's really happy and proud to be getting reamed out dry with profits.

My local dairy farm seems to be doing really well selling his milk direct with his vending system and reusable glass bottles, he's even doing ice cream and fresh cream as well as meat reared on the farm. His milk is £1 a litre and with 2 litres of milk in a supermarket creeping near £2 it just makes more sense to pay a little more for the superior product.

I suppose I'm lucky he's only 2 miles up the road from me!

4 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

That's Tesco for you, farmer lost 5,000 £

That's business. Sounds like a poor contract to me. 

A number of farmers here have dropped Tesco recently and moved to Arla for better prices. My neighbour cut out the middleman and bought the dairy trading as Chew Valley dairies and is offering a good price but its a new untried business. 

One of the problems when farmers are contracted to supply the supermarkets, there's no contract saying they pay a fixed price at the time pen touches the paper, Farmers think they are all well and good with these contracts then as mentioned get dropped in the slurry pit. 

Its not always the price, it can be so petty as the size, uniformity, colour and general look. 

Also producing too much milk you get penalised, never mind sell the land and get some houses on them instead. We can live on ??? well thats a question that some bright spark in planning seems to be keeping a secrete from us all. 

14 minutes ago, Dougy said:

One of the problems when farmers are contracted to supply the supermarkets, there's no contract saying they pay a fixed price at the time pen touches the paper, Farmers think they are all well and good with these contracts then as mentioned get dropped in the slurry pit. 

Its not always the price, it can be so petty as the size, uniformity, colour and general look. 

Also producing too much milk you get penalised, never mind sell the land and get some houses on them instead. We can live on ??? well thats a question that some bright spark in planning seems to be keeping a secrete from us all. 

Yep but there is a big difference from the milk contract and a contract for carrots 😁 

Interesting that some of my farms have to green up brown fields and are under orders for the robot herds to have sunlight time 🤣

• 4 weeks later...

Is it not £7 for a 1kg bar? I am sure I paid £2.90 at the petrol station for 500g of lurpak unsalted. which is still expensive.

It was the only unsalted butter and my   1 year old has it too. The sacrifices you make as a father, I love salted butter on toast.

On 05/07/2022 at 23:36, Rob85 said:

Whats peoples take on the latest in food price hikes..... lurpak butter has apparently hit £7 for 500g in some shops. Personally I've never tried it but I can't imagine in tasting much different to other more reasonable priced butter.... and definitely not better than churning my own!

used lurpak for years but now get ordinary standard Scottish Butter and dont keep it in the fridge.

Blackpowder

On 02/08/2022 at 20:28, Blackpowder said:

used lurpak for years but now get ordinary standard Scottish Butter and dont keep it in the fridge.

Blackpowder

Inflation is far higher than we are told on the TV, In one year energy has more than doubled,petrol up 40%,Milk up from £1.09 to £1.45 (33%) Every 40p tin is now 50p+ Honestly average it all out and inflation has to be 25% up on a year ago!