Patio door glass protection ???.

samboy

Hi gang.

I have had 2 smashed windows on my patio doors through stones being thrown from the lawn mower.

I have some ply board but it is too heavy to keep lugging around, looked at some Pro plex plastic type sheets but they were only 2mm thick.

So can anyone recommend something to put across the windows whilst mowing ?.

Thanks all.

9 minutes ago, samboy said:

I have had 2 smashed windows on my patio doors through stones being thrown from the lawn mower.

I have some ply board but it is too heavy to keep lugging around, looked at some Pro plex plastic type sheets but they were only 2mm thick.

So can anyone recommend something to put across the windows whilst mowing ?.

Could you shroud the mower?

Your likely problem will be storage of what ever you use.

I thought you were going to say bird strikes, we've got two perfect pigeon prints now on our patio windows.

If the stones are coming from the edge of your lawn could you use a length of fake grass on say garden chairs?

A picture paints a thousand words.

9  or even 6 mm ply isn't heavy and will stop any stone . 

Much lighter than maybe the 18 mm you using ? Cut it in half so 4 ft squares instead of a full sheet ? 

How about 2 hooks in the wall either side of the window 4 ft up and drape a heavy duty tarp from them onto the floor and weigh itdown with a couple of bricks .

The stones won't get through that and it folds away to nothing .

14 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

9  or even 6 mm ply isn't heavy and will stop any stone . 

Much lighter than maybe the 18 mm you using ? Cut it in half so 4 ft squares instead of a full sheet ? 

How about 2 hooks in the wall either side of the window 4 ft up and drape a heavy duty tarp from them onto the floor and weigh itdown with a couple of bricks .

The stones won't get through that and it folds away to nothing .

This or a shower curtain on hooks hung down

You can buy clear 3mm polycarbonate sheet which is lightweight and will stop a stone (riot-shield material).

That could be permanently fixed over the vulnerable windows.

It is likely to need replacing every 5 years or so because polycarbonate, although shatterproof, is subject to scratching

2 hours ago, Diver One said:

I would say either 

some of the double or triple walled poly carb they use on conservatory roofs or, better still as said before, heavy carpet which will absorb the impact

It won't need double or triple walled polycarbonate.

3mm (possibly even 2mm) single skin polycarbonate will stop a stone.

Edited by amateur

Most of the above posts are a bit behind the event.  Remove the problem stones.   Stones get on lawns by..... kids chucking the stones on the lawns,.......  dogs put stones on grass .. chewing stones. ...... Stones get thrown on lawns by car wheels pinging them when the cars are driven along access tracks that are stoned.  Prevention by stopping the stones being thrown from the mower deck.  This can be fixing a skirt around the deck (rotary mower ).... it doesn't have to be more than a cut up feed sack or roofing felt. Ps if your mower has bee throwing stones then you almost certainly need a replacement blade or serious resharpen after playing golf with the stones.  The existing blade will more resemble a blunt plank rather than a sharp blade

What about some of that builders fine mesh net used on scaffolding.  If it stops bricks  it should stop a stone. Fitted on a wood frame and stood up in front of the door. Used it years ago to prevent clay pigeons from entering a young tree plantation. It did the job well.