Next Prime minister lads/lassies ?

ditchman

35 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

They are good speeches - but did she write them?

They are reasonably well delivered, but not exceptionally so - it being quite clear she is reading at times.

I am not 'anti' her - indeed, I don't have a favourite - but I'm not convinced she has anything more than the ability to deliver a pre-written (by the speech writers) reasonably well.

Of course it is quite possible to have a PM who is just very good at bringing together a great team of Cabinet colleagues and civil service mandarins who 'get the job done' and simply being the 'chairman' .......... but I don't believe the backing material is there either at present.

The Cabinet potential candidates are a squabbling rabble who can't agree with each other; the Civil Service ignores the word 'service' and seems both broken, and continuously 'leaking' against the political 'masters'.

And on top of that, the Opposition have singularly failed to make much capital from the governments quagmire because they are also hopelessly divided and still have many of their internal party processes controlled by the Corbynand Momentum supporting 'left' members of the NEC and the Union barons who still have a BIG say in the party machine because of the way the party is set up and run by what is almost a separate party to the Parliamentary party.

think you have got it.........she certainly has got it..BUT   BUT......all of them need more experience to develope into a statesman (credible)

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Rem260 said:

So which party would that be ?

This lot has lied repeatedly, been prosecuted, made a hash of the economy, has the highest level of tax in history, elevated waiting times in the NHS, ambulance service which is broken, teachers leaving education in droves, an ineffective immigration policy (if there even is one), an incomplete and unfulfilled brexit, a shortage of labour, gdp falling behind  competitors, strikes in the courts in transport. I think you need to ask yourself if this is what you want. 

2 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

They are reasonably well delivered, but not exceptionally so - it being quite clear she is reading at times

You can see her turning the pages, and she won't have written it because it doesn't flow, so she wasn't just referring to notes, and it was delivered in a very empty house, with next to no interruption,  which while it makes a change didn't break up her delivery.

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

STOP PRESS............sunak and truss have pulled out of to-nites debate............do you rekon they have done a deal with each other ?

"you make me PM and i will make you depty PM".....:hmm:

So there will now be no debate. Maybe they did a deal, maybe they were told to button it but either way that removes further public scrutiny from the process by, unfortunately, most likely the two candidates that will head off against each other.

8 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

So there will now be no debate. Maybe they did a deal, maybe they were told to button it but either way that removes further public scrutiny from the process by, unfortunately, most likely the two candidates that will head off against each other.

From what was said at dinner, they would likely have just carried being petty so not helped their campaigns, probably advised to pull out.

Just now, Scully said:

It’s not as if we get a vote anyhow?

I think the idea is that you could write to your MP who (if he is a Tory) could potentially be swayed by your feelings to cast his vote.  It is all so tenuous that it would never happen.  Of course if your MP was Labour or one of the trivial parties, they don't get a vote anyway ........

More likely truth is that it is cheap broadcasting!

6 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I think the idea is that you could write to your MP who (if he is a Tory) could potentially be swayed by your feelings to cast his vote.  It is all so tenuous that it would never happen.  Of course if your MP was Labour or one of the trivial parties, they don't get a vote anyway ........

More than likely your second paragraph I would think. It matters not to me really; I can’t recall ever having watched one unless Farage was involved, possibly. 

13 minutes ago, Scully said:

What is the point of these debates? Half a dozen adults slagging each other off and trying to ridicule one another. Why? It’s not as if we get a vote anyhow? 🤷‍♂️

👍 Seems to me that there is a link between the MP's the public voted for and the PM. It should be the MP's of the ruling party that vote for the next PM. That would at least have an air of democracy to it. 

Push out the union and member influence straight away and put patronage at arms lengh.

Edited by oowee

1 minute ago, oowee said:

👍 Seems to me that there is a link between the MP's the public voted for and the PM. It should be the MP's of the ruling party that vote for the next PM. That would at least have an air of democracy to it. 

Push out the union and member influence straight away and put patronage at arms lenght.

Isn't that fairly close to how the Tory process works?  MPs select two (who are presumably both reasonably acceptable to the MPs) ....... then let the party members choose the final winner. 

Just now, JohnfromUK said:

Isn't that fairly close to how the Tory process works?  MPs select two (who are presumably both reasonably acceptable to the MPs) ....... then let the party members choose the final winner. 

Yep a Hobsons choice presented as being democratic.  I notice today every candidate has committed to the insanity on Nett Zero, god help us.

Edited by Weihrauch17

35 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

writing to your MP is a waste of ink and paper

21 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Yep a Hobsons choice presented as being democratic.  I notice today every candidate has committed to the insanity on Nett Zero, god help us.

we will end up with a unity candidate........they ought to remember.... you can please all of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time............every thing will be the same old same old.....wishy washy tinker at the edges thing

29 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Well at least that's a good start well above expectations. Not sure how it fits with cuts in fuel duty. Then we can start to tax goods proportionate to net zero progress. 👍

19 hours ago, oowee said:

This lot has lied repeatedly, been prosecuted, made a hash of the economy, has the highest level of tax in history, elevated waiting times in the NHS, ambulance service which is broken, teachers leaving education in droves, an ineffective immigration policy (if there even is one), an incomplete and unfulfilled brexit, a shortage of labour, gdp falling behind  competitors, strikes in the courts in transport. I think you need to ask yourself if this is what you want. 

I'll repeat the question differently  in case you didn't understand it.

"Which party would be better?"