Next Prime minister lads/lassies ?

ditchman

1 minute ago, ditchman said:

can the conservertives win at the next election with either sunak or truss as PM........what we have ended up with is what the 1922 commitee have brought forward.......nothing to do with what the conservertive electorect want

mess...mess...mess.....

The 1922 carries out the process - the initial 'long list' is chosen by MPs from those who have put their names forward and get support from a small(ish) number of their MP colleagues.

The 1922 then holds voting with each (Tory) MP having a vote to get the down to 2 candidates, so in effect the MPs (who do admittedly include the 1922 members) choose the two final candidates - and the wider party membership chooses which of those two.  It is a better process than letting Union block votes and the whole membership select the leader, which can result in leaders (like Corbyn), who had little support from his MPs.

In my view allowing the MPs to do all the voting narrowing down to 2 is good - as they get a big say in who will be their leader.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

The reference to billions is the entire PPE debacle.

https://www.transparency.org.uk/track-and-trace-uk-PPE-procurement-corruption-risk-VIP-lane

There are multiple sources on this online but I think you've said before that you don't follow posted links, so, in summary:

Key findings

High-risk contracts

• Contracts awarded to companies with political connections:

Twenty-four PPE contracts worth £1.6 billion were awarded to those with known political connections to Conservative Party.

Three contracts worth £536 million went to politically connected companies for testing related services.

• Contracts awarded without competition:

Between February and November 2020, 98.9 percent of COVID-19 related contracts by value (£17.8 billion) were awarded without any form of competition, many without adequate justification.

• Contracts awarded to companies with no track record of supplying goods or services:

Fourteen companies incorporated in 2020 received contracts worth more than £620 million, of which 13 contracts totalling £255 million went to 10 firms that were less than 60 days old.

Losing the money trail

Whitehall has faced understandable resource challenges, but our study catalogues the woefully inadequate arrangements for enabling scrutiny over the use of taxpayers’ money.

• Contracts awarded to politically connected companies were more likely to be published late. Details of 93 percent (28) of the 30 contracts awarded to politically connected companies were published late, compared to 70 percent (688) of the 970 without. Seven of these late contracts awarded to politically connected suppliers went unpublished for more than 100 days.
  • Seventy two percent (711) of COVID-related contracts awarded during our sample period, worth £13.3 billion, were reported after the 30-day legal deadline, with £7.4 billion of this total reported more than 100 days after the contract was awarded. In comparison, on average it took Ukraine less than a day to publish information on 103,263 COVID-19 contracts after their award during the same period.

Thanks. I’m assuming all politicians/parties work in the same manner? I think it does in the EU.
No doubt it’ll all come out in the wash. 🙂

Anyhow, back in topic my favourite is out, and as I couldn’t bring myself to vote for either of the remaining two, I’m going to struggle to vote at the next GE. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Scully

19 minutes ago, ditchman said:

can the conservertives win at the next election with either sunak or truss as PM........what we have ended up with is what the 1922 commitee have brought forward.......nothing to do with what the conservertive electorect want

mess...mess...mess.....

Yes,normal disservice is resumed.....what a sad state of affairs.....

10 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

The 1922 carries out the process - the initial 'long list' is chosen by MPs from those who have put their names forward and get support from a small(ish) number of their MP colleagues.

The 1922 then holds voting with each (Tory) MP having a vote to get the down to 2 candidates, so in effect the MPs (who do admittedly include the 1922 members) choose the two final candidates - and the wider party membership chooses which of those two.  It is a better process than letting Union block votes and the whole membership select the leader, which can result in leaders (like Corbyn), who had little support from his MPs.

In my view allowing the MPs to do all the voting narrowing down to 2 is good - as they get a big say in who will be their leader.

think it should be 3

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

mess...mess...mess.....

When is it ever any different though?

We don't get to pick the leader, we just hope they get the job done.

4 hours ago, ditchman said:

mess...mess...mess.....

Lots of talk of Sunak ‘lending votes’ to Truss to get rid of Mordaunt. 

The conservatives have a big announcement post on Facebook and there’s a LOT of apparent party members who are fuming.

Most people saying the party has lost their vote etc and thinking Labour will win the next GE. 

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

The conservatives have a big announcement post on Facebook and there’s a LOT of apparent party members who are fuming.

Most people saying the party has lost their vote etc and thinking Labour will win the next GE. 

dirty job eh !..........when you are fighting for your carreer things will get dirty......i think the MP's that are far more suited at being the PM...are rightly put off going for the position because of the dirty doings

you have to be very thick skinned and viscous...and deadly to do the job .......

46 minutes ago, ditchman said:

dirty job eh !..........when you are fighting for your carreer things will get dirty......i think the MP's that are far more suited at being the PM...are rightly put off going for the position because of the dirty doings

you have to be very thick skinned and viscous...and deadly to do the job .......

It’s certainly not shown the party or Sunak in a good light. 

15 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

But sadly the reality is, it can be much worse.

What can get worse mind? For a large section of society things are getting pretty bad. 

I’m far from a left wing looney, but am seeing A LOT of people, shooting and hunting people who traditionally would never vote Labour, getting more and more pee’d off with the current situation.

Seeing lots more people posting on the likes of Facebook, which as a platform is becoming more powerful for political influence than conventional media.

Seeing these people sharing posts about the massive profits energy firms have made, and railway firms have made, whilst jacking up prices. 

We are at a point, where it’s no longer the benefit scrounges and hard of luck that can’t afford things in life. 

We are getting to a cross roads where the average working man and woman, is going to see a sharp decline in their standard of living. 

Unable to get on the property ladder. 
Getting to the end of the month with nothing left in the bank account. 
No longer being able to afford the new car on the finance deals … or even worse… having to hand the posh car back and get something cheaper … 

No longer able to afford the nice foreign holidays several times a year. 

Most things people have become accustomed to are luxuries that in the past the British public would never of had, but that’s irrelevant. 

People will see a decline in their standard of living and they aren’t going to want to give up those luxuries that they have enjoyed. 

If Labour start shouting about nationalising the rail and energy companies etc, I reckon they’ve got a good chance even if it is nonsense. 

Previously when peoples energy bills were cheap and they had plenty of cash left over they couldn’t care less, but that’s no longer the case, and people are fuming seeing the companies making record profits whilst they can just about afford to put fuel in the car. 

On 20/07/2022 at 01:26, Penelope said:

I seriously pity you New Zealander's having THAT WEF stooge in power.

About 18 months left. Can't see her surviving, but you never know. My biggest concern is that Labour go back in to coalition with the Greens. That would be a disaster! 

Sunak will be vulnerable as PM as his wife's tax status will likely "sink" him at the forthcoming General Election. Truss is just vacuous. Starmer may be "boring" but he will take her apart at Question Time and at any "Leader Debate" at the forthcoming General Election. 

The real scandal of this Tory leadership contest is that Badenoch was thrown under the bus as acccording to the press she'd have gained the votes of the wider party over Sunak and IMHO as the only candidate who has rejected the 2030 zero emissions goal she'd have been a breath of fresh air.

Truss is just a failed ex Liberal Democrat. God help us all!

The 200,000 members of the Conservative Party want Boris back by a huge majority. They never wanted him to go.

They will punish Sunak because of what he has done so will hand the job to Truss

The bring back Boris movement is growing. They want his name on the ballot too.

Thousands of Tories demand Boris Johnson is on the ballot when party members vote to replace him (msn.com)

Edited by Vince Green

21 minutes ago, Rim Fire said:

If they put Boris back as PM they will lose at the next GE the country wanted him gone it dont matter what the party thinks its the people that vote in the GE 

I dont think thats correct. Boris was always very popular, don't know why but its true. But who else is there to vote for? not Labour thats for sure

6 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

I dont think thats correct. Boris was always very popular, don't know why but its true. But who else is there to vote for? not Labour thats for sure

Why do you think they rebeld against him they could see the country going against the party they had to do it now because it gives them almost two years to get back on track 

10 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

It’s a dirty old game is politics.🙂

11 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Unable to get on the property ladder. 
Getting to the end of the month with nothing left in the bank account. 
No longer being able to afford the new car on the finance deals … or even worse… having to hand the posh car back and get something cheaper … 

No longer able to afford the nice foreign holidays several times a year. 

That should tell people they need to cut back, the problem is they won't want to, you would like to think that people aren't daft enough to believe what Labour could say, but it happens every few terms.

As for the energy companies and rail etc making huge profits,  when has that ever been say different?

One potential scenario I can see playing out is Trustless crashing and burning in record time with Boris making a comeback.

Indeed, the cynic in me might even go as far as suggesting that is precisely what has been engineered thus far.

Edited by Raja Clavata
what not was

27 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

One potential scenario I can see playing out is Trustless crashing and burning in record time with Boris making a comeback.

Indeed, the cynic in me might even go as far as suggesting that is precisely what has been engineered thus far.

Hhahhhahhahhaaaa...............many a true word spoken in jest !

and quite honestly alot of folk would welcome him back..........Britain is slightly in love with Boris

28 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

To actually plan it, with any hope of success , may be a little extreme, but yes, it may fall that way in the end.

There are those that may laugh at this , but replacing Boris with anything remotely competent, may be more than the tories can manage.
Labour will conspire to let the new leader fail, then believe they can call an early election, swoop in with the usual fake promises, and take power.
Boris is waiting in the wings, and most definitely be capable of resuming leadership, when the tories realise how much theyve messed up.

4 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

Why do you think they rebeld against him they could see the country going against the party they had to do it now because it gives them almost two years to get back on track 

Vince is correct from what I have been hearing commentators say.

4 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

The country didn't rebel against him. Sunak saw his chance to mount a coup and took it. A move I predict he will regret because the country won't get behind him.

Boris is still more electable than Sunak or Truss I don't know why, but whatever it is that Boris has its still there

It shouldn't be true but it is. I don't like him. I didn't like him when he was mayor but he defies the odds. People it seems love a rogue