Boris

scolopax

The good news for some on here: We'll be back in the EU within 5yrs.  Only this time with even more unfavourable, let's call them terms.  A punishment membership.

Doubtless positively cheered on by the chattering middle classes saying "we deserve it, punish us harder" or other such BDSM inspired hot-takes

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

The good news for some on here: We'll be back in the EU within 5yrs.  Only this time with even more unfavourable, let's call them terms.  A punishment membership.

Doubtless positively cheered on by the chattering middle classes saying "we deserve it, punish us harder" or other such BDSM inspired hot-takes

Hard to imagine given its going so well as a stand alone nation. 

2 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

I sincerely hope you are wrong!

28 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Doubt that will happen, because as you have said if we re-join now we will have no say in what terms we join under, the EU will carry all the cards. There will be no concessions. There were some concessions under our previous membership, keeping the pound for example. 

I bet Carrie is spitting bricks !!

35 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

I doubt the EU will exist in 5 years time.

6 minutes ago, Aled said:

There will be no concessions.

I'm not sure that's entirely true.  Even under the old, uh, terms, we were net contributors, which gives some leverage.

Also there are plenty of EU members not in the Eurozone, yes in theory all new members must start the process, but it hasn't happened yet.  They haven't even started forcing 'far right' Hungary to give up their Forints...

11 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I bet Carrie is spitting bricks !!

Every cloud and all that.  Princess Nut-Nut is out.

11 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I doubt the EU will exist in 5 years time.

Too big to fail springs to mind.  See: 2008

15 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Brexit must have really hit you, probably like all those who's pensions Brown hit.

Particularly as its stopped half way through. Direct cash not so much just a few hundreds. If you count the uk market impact pretty significant. Biggest impact is the buggeration factor 

Just now, oowee said:

Biggest impact is the buggeration factor 

There we're agreed.  A competent Brexit would've been better than this cluster.

If only the civil service / certain hardcore elements in the media had put even a third of the effort into delivering it, rather than resisting it at all costs, we'd all be a darn site better off.

I for one hope Boris' memoirs don't hold back

37 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

I'm not sure that's entirely true.  Even under the old, uh, terms, we were net contributors, which gives some leverage.

Also there are plenty of EU members not in the Eurozone, yes in theory all new members must start the process, but it hasn't happened yet.  They haven't even started forcing 'far right' Hungary to give up their Forints...

You have a point he who pays the piper i suppose, but still doubt it. I may be wrong though! 

2 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Look at it this way; If an actual Brexiteer somehow wins the leadership election and makes it to number 10, the media/civil service campaign to unseat him begins immediately.  In other words, he'll suffer the same fate as Boris.

A remainer on the other hand will suffer no such fate.

An interesting viewpoint.

I watch with great hope.

13 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Look at it this way; If an actual Brexiteer somehow wins the leadership election and makes it to number 10, the media/civil service campaign to unseat him begins immediately.  In other words, he'll suffer the same fate as Boris.

The problem is the civil service has to operate with international laws and conventions. Then Trying to keep all  people happy during the exit is impossible the main issue is STILL Northern Ireland ! May could not fix it - Boris got closer.

Getting Brexit done - not sure looking like it’s undeliverable to me ? 

Agriv8 

58 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

There we're agreed.  A competent Brexit would've been better than this cluster.

If only the civil service / certain hardcore elements in the media had put even a third of the effort into delivering it, rather than resisting it at all costs, we'd all be a darn site better off.

I for one hope Boris' memoirs don't hold back

A competent Brexit needed longer than 5 years to complete - something that had existed for 40 years where it's tendrils of twisted administrative process intertwined with law and commercial trading practices wasn't going to re-engineered into something workable in that time-scale.  10 years maybe - however that's longer for an elected term for any government so would never have been agreed.

I do suspect that when Boris and the rest of the wasters have been removed there will be an incremental undoing of the Brexit agreement, even if only to make what's left workable.

Edited by Cosmicblue

5 hours ago, bostonmick said:

yes the super wealthy will never understand the plight of the ordinary person.however these days a million is not what it used to be but one i could never get my head around was how a man who was the wealthiest in parliament and hos wife are bordering on billionaire status can genuinely have any understanding of how the rest of the public live.i had high hopes for boris and his government but he quickly dispelled those with his lack of integrity.i  truly hope someone in the party can pull it around now for the sake of us all

Hello, good post 👍

2 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

I doubt that very much. Boris did not need anyone's help to make a complete helmet head of himself. Boris was a disaster waiting to happen from the start as many of us said. Unfortunately like the Brexit bun fight shouting and bluster buys gullible voters. 

Delivering Brexit will take time and will look nothing like the garbage promoted to get the public on board. It will take time for them to forget and move forward with a more pragmatic approach and accept what some would see now as a sell out. 

I doubt any leader from any party will deliver a solution. We can only hope that its someone with a few brain cells. 

3 minutes ago, oowee said:

I doubt that very much. Boris did not need anyone's help to make a complete helmet head of himself. Boris was a disaster waiting to happen from the start as many of us said. Unfortunately like the Brexit bun fight shouting and bluster buys gullible voters. 

With the greatest respect Grant.

Thats just the kind of rhetoric, that makes sure the undemocratic type of politics you favour stays firmly in fantasy land.
The 'many' of you were a minority, the majority voted for Brexit , Boris and the largest tory majority ever, but that makes them gullible ?
Im surprised you didnt call them a basket of deplorables or something.

Delivering Brexit will take time and will look nothing like the garbage promoted to get the public on board. It will take time for them to forget and move forward with a more pragmatic approach and accept what some would see now as a sell out. 

What you really mean is , reversing Brexit will take time, and now you think the figurehead is gone , this will be more easily achieved ?
You are very wrong...

I doubt any leader from any party will deliver a solution. We can only hope that its someone with a few brain cells

Well that rules out anyone from the labour party, libs or SNP !
Solutions are an easy thing to theorise when you are shouting from the opposition benches, in practice, its a different ball game.
I mean , look at Starmers input into fixing the pandemic issues ?
Thats right , he didnt have any input, it was the quietest hes ever been 😄

10 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

With the greatest respect Grant.

Thats just the kind of rhetoric, that makes sure the undemocratic type of politics you favour stays firmly in fantasy land.
The 'many' of you were a minority, the majority voted for Brexit , Boris and the largest tory majority ever, but that makes them gullible ?
Im surprised you didnt call them a basket of deplorables or something.

Many said (including me) Boris was a basket case and so he has proven to be. The majority of voters were not taken in by his bluster although the Tories won the majority of seats. 

The majority voted for Brexit. 

Brexit will be delivered but it will look very different from what some thought would happen as they put pen to paper. You may think this undemocratic but it is pragmatic. Democracy is not just about the most votes it is of equal importance for Govt to protect people from themselves,  something Cameroon forgot. 

No point going over it again time will tell. 

For now let's watch this shower scramble about in the dirt and see what floats to the top.

5 hours ago, Rem260 said:

I cant understand when intelligent people keep citing this. The more people who get to know there is FREE goods on offer. The more people who will use it.

If Tesco and Morrisons had shops next to each other and Tescos was offering all its goods free where do you think people would go for their shopping?

Food banks are not means tested. When my ex wife worked at one as a volunteer people were turning up in late model 4x4s wearing designer labels and arguing about what they were being given

Yes I'm sure there are genuinely needy people but in this country we seem incapable of telling the difference between the needy and the greedy   

19 minutes ago, oowee said:

Many said (including me) Boris was a basket case and so he has proven to be. The majority of voters were not taken in by his bluster although the Tories won the majority of seats. 

That doesnt really make sense does it ?
I know you dont like the FPTP system , but this is how we do politics in this country, you cant cry the rules are fixed because you keep losing the game.

20 minutes ago, oowee said:

The majority voted for Brexit. 

Brexit will be delivered but it will look very different from what some thought would happen as they put pen to paper. You may think this undemocratic but it is pragmatic. Democracy is not just about the most votes it is of equal importance for Govt to protect people from themselves,  something Cameroon forgot. 

What youre hoping for is a watered down version, that will disgruntle those who truly believe in it .
Something the remainers have been hoping for the last 6 years , and a start point for an undemocratic reversal of the ref.
Protecting the people from themselves ? :lol: We might as well just go full totalitarian now shall we ?

20 minutes ago, oowee said:

For now let's watch this shower scramble about in the dirt and see what floats to the top.

Theyre already doing it , Krankie saying he should be kicked out of no10 IMMEDIATELY !
No doubt they will be asking for him to be jailed shortly ?
Snouts in the trough, with no concern for decorum or procedure, and certainly no concern for the good of the people they swore to represent.

Regardless of your views on Brexit, there's a certain irony to the fact that the EU is still there and the government who pretended to get Brexit done, for all intent and purposes, aren't.

BTW I hear that the polls show a >10% majority of the public now believe that Brexit was in fact a bad idea, that said, even if true that's clearly distorted by the fact that Joe Public doesn't understand why we are in the pickle we are in - by that I mean it's certainly not all down to Brexit.

1 minute ago, Raja Clavata said:

Regardless of your views on Brexit, there's a certain irony to the fact that the EU is still there and the government who pretended to get Brexit done, for all intent and purposes, aren't.

The party with the 80 seat majority, who got that on the back of Brexit, and the total uselessness of labour , are still there.

Its rather pointless mulling over how bad Boris and the tories are , when you have a labour party, with a cardboard cut out leader, who cannot define whether women have cervixes or not.

5 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

BTW I hear that the polls show a >10% majority of the public now believe that Brexit was in fact a bad idea, that said, even if true that's clearly distorted by the fact that Joe Public doesn't understand why we are in the pickle we are in - by that I mean it's certainly not all down to Brexit.

Im sure the polls can be done to show that which the sponsor would like to show.
It doesnt change the fact that the UK is beating most EU nations for growth, or the fact that 'despite Brexit' we have handled recent crises better than most.
We have left the EU , there simply isnt a scenario, where it all goes back to the way it was, and anyone with a clump of brain cells wouldnt want to.

May be a Twitter screenshot of 2 people and text that says 'ALASTAIR CAMPBELL @campbellclaret Today is a good day to remind you that Brexit was fought for and won by a bunch of right wing, entitled, rich, corrupt liars, helped by a lying corrupt media, Russian money and organised criminality 18:02 06 Jul 22. Twitter for iPhone'

1 minute ago, Rewulf said:

The party with the 80 seat majority, who got that on the back of Brexit, and the total uselessness of labour , are still there.

Its rather pointless mulling over how bad Boris and the tories are , when you have a labour party, with a cardboard cut out leader, who cannot define whether women have cervixes or not.

Im sure the polls can be done to show that which the sponsor would like to show.
It doesnt change the fact that the UK is beating most EU nations for growth, or the fact that 'despite Brexit' we have handled recent crises better than most.
We have left the EU , there simply isnt a scenario, where it all goes back to the way it was, and anyone with a clump of brain cells wouldnt want to.

I'd like to go back to the days when I spent 105 minutes on a plane getting to Barcelona and got through passport control in just a few minutes. Unlike a couple weeks ago when I spent 105 minutes on the plane and 135 minutes getting through passport control. The queue for EU residents etc. did not exceed 30 people in that time, there were about 500 people in front of me for the rest of world queue. Just one example.