scolopax

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

I'd like to go back to the days when I spent 105 minutes on a plane getting to Barcelona and got through passport control in just a few minutes. Unlike a couple weeks ago when I spent 105 minutes on the plane and 135 minutes getting through passport control. The queue for EU residents etc. did not exceed 30 people in that time, there were about 500 people in front of me for the rest of world queue. Just one example.

I love it! All the gammons and Daily Express readers having to now stand in the same queue with all the black, red and yellow people. It's the same now, pretty much, on the Eurostar at Gare du Nord and at Roissy (aka Charles de Gaulle) Airport 

22 hours ago, tonyshooter said:

But what if Labour got in, shooting as a we no it would be on their  " ban it " agenda.  

Erm. Well. The 1988 ban on self-loading and pump action rifles (that also raised shotguns with a magazine capacity or more than two to s1) was the Tories. The 1996 fullbore handgun ban was the Tories. The now thankfully repealed raising of expanding bullets and expanding ammunition to s5 was the Tories. The need for direct medical input paid for by the applicant was the Tories. The recent banning of MARS operated rifles was the Tories. Anyone who believes that the Tories when in Government are the friend of shooters and of shooting is deluding themselves.

Edited by enfieldspares

11 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Anyone who believes that the Tories when in Government are the friend of shooters and of shooting is deluding themselves.

Anyone who believes, that whomever is in Government are the friend of shooters and of shooting, is deluding themselves.

They are all as bad as each other, on all accounts. Self-serving scumbags, closely followed by the civil service.

11 hours ago, oowee said:

Whilst much of Britain is rejoicing spare a thought for Putin loosing his number one contact. 

Maybe these connections will end In court. Fingers crossed. 

His, err no 1 contact, doesn't seem shy on sending billions of pounds worth of weapons to fight Russians in Ukraine, or is that part of their fiendish plan? 

And end up in court, really? 

I'm still waiting for Trumps court appearances for Russian 'collusion' 😂

16 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

I'd like to go back to the days when I spent 105 minutes on a plane getting to Barcelona and got through passport control in just a few minutes. Unlike a couple weeks ago when I spent 105 minutes on the plane and 135 minutes getting through passport control. The queue for EU residents etc. did not exceed 30 people in that time, there were about 500 people in front of me for the rest of world queue. Just one example.

That is a national decision.  In neighbouring Portugal (amongst others), you can go through the EU/EEA lane with a British passport.  It is not in and of itself a direct consequence of Brexit, rather the respective member state’s intransigence towards a democratic vote or otherwise.  Portugal, with a keen eye on its tourism industry, clearly has its priorities straighter than Spain.  As for France…what else did you expect? 

I have travelled for work in Europe since Brexit – once again Europe != EU.   We were never in the Schengen area, either. 

Travelling in these times is unpleasant, but honestly an extra 5-10 mins at passport control really hasn't been an issue (so far).  The hour waiting for check in baggage is more of an issue, which is obviously due to Brexit right?  At Frankfurt airport.

1 hour ago, enfieldspares said:

I love it! All the gammons and Daily Express readers having to now stand in the same queue with all the black, red and yellow peopl

If I were you, I'd knock off the racial slurs on a public forum, especially when you appear to be using your business name.

1 hour ago, udderlyoffroad said:

As for France…what else did you expect? 

Well actually that queue is for the BRITISH Border Control at Gare du Nord. The French check as you atre exiting France is still fast moving save that there's a few extra seconds whilst your UK passport gets stamped.

The 2002 Le Touquet Treaty means that entry to the UK is now at Gare du Nord (for the Eurostar) and Calais and Frethun for the Ferry and the Shuttle. It's not the French PAF (Police aux Frontieres) that are causing the congestion it's UK Border Force.

Before Brexit there were two lines.

A UK Border Force "fast queue" for EU passport holders before Brexit and the then subsequent expiry of the Brexit transition....which obviously included UK passport holders...and a UK Border Force queue for everybody else).

Now there's just one UK Border Force queue. So the gammons queue with everybody else. Red faced clutching their made in Poland blue passports. Thus the delay. So not the French.

I travel through Gare du Nord twice monthly. They are now even having on some departure days having to actually delay the Eurostar departure by fifteen minutes of more because of these UK Border Force caused delays.

Why? Because unlike the French PAFF the UK Border Force staff don't know their job. So now everyone is in the same one single queue. So all have to wait in that line whilst UKBF try to remember what they've been trained but, clearly, didn't pay attention to when taught.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/an-inspection-of-juxtaposed-controls

Edited by enfieldspares

Just listened to an interview by Dan Wooton on GBNEWS with a chap called Tom Bowen who wrote a biography of Boris. The interview backed up my beliefs about Carrie being a big influence in what Boris did. Worth a watch/listen.

Boris does not have a home to go to hence his desire to hang on at No10 as long as possible and have the use of Chequers for a wedding celebration when mosy of us would have to shell out to a hotel.  I think we are well rid, although I do have time for Boris and his support of Ukraine.  Let's hope the new PM will continue that overt support. 

2 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Well actually that queue is for the BRITISH Border Control at Gare du Nord. The French check as you atre exiting France is still fast moving save that there's a few extra seconds whilst your UK passport gets stamped.

The 2002 Le Touquet Treaty means that entry to the UK is now at Gare du Nord (for the Eurostar) and Calais and Frethun for the Ferry and the Shuttle. It's not the French PAF (Police aux Frontieres) that are causing the congestion it's UK Border Force.

Before Brexit there were two lines.

A UK Border Force "fast queue" for EU passport holders before Brexit and the then subsequent expiry of the Brexit transition....which obviously included UK passport holders...and a UK Border Force queue for everybody else).

Now there's just one UK Border Force queue. So the gammons queue with everybody else. Red faced clutching their made in Poland blue passports. Thus the delay. So not the French.

I travel through Gare du Nord twice monthly. They are now even having on some departure days having to actually delay the Eurostar departure by fifteen minutes of more because of these UK Border Force caused delays.

GOOD!!

25 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

There you go again with the racial slurs.  Brilliant way to lose customers.

1 hour ago, udderlyoffroad said:

As for France…what else did you expect? 

29 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Well actually that queue is for the BRITISH Border Control at Gare du Nord.

Allow me to rephrase that then: It's the UKBF, what else did you expect?

4 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

I love it! All the gammons and Daily Express readers having to now stand in the same queue with all the black, red and yellow people. It's the same now, pretty much, on the Eurostar at Gare du Nord and at Roissy (aka Charles de Gaulle) Airport 

I returned to the UK via Eurostar last week and, thanks to a bout of discitis last year, am now considered to be disabled. 

So, whisked by an attendant through passport control and security (the walking stick and my keys sounding alarms - c'est normale, the pleasant French security lady said) and loaded with my luggage on the train.

SNCF do a similar service.

I don't recommend getting discitis in order to qualify  but if you do have anything that could entitle you, the airlines also run a similar service.

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Boris does not have a home to go to

He has a home in Camberwell, south London which he purchased in 2020 and has had/is having 'done up', and also apparently a detached house with a tennis court and pool in Oxfordshire, so he's not short of somewhere to go.  He probably also has something in his Henley constituency, but that I don't know for certain.

https://www.mylondon.news/news/south-london-news/boris-johnsons-home-south-london-23911556

3 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

That is a national decision.  In neighbouring Portugal (amongst others), you can go through the EU/EEA lane with a British passport.  It is not in and of itself a direct consequence of Brexit, rather the respective member state’s intransigence towards a democratic vote or otherwise.  Portugal, with a keen eye on its tourism industry, clearly has its priorities straighter than Spain.  As for France…what else did you expect? 

Err, not so upon arrival in Porto on Monday or my departure on Wednesday.

In the past month I have travelled by air to Portugal (Porto), Spain (Barcelona), France (Paris & Nice), Italy (Bologna) & Germany (Stuttgart & Hannover) and have had to queue every time in the rest of world lane.

4 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

I have travelled for work in Europe since Brexit – once again Europe != EU.   We were never in the Schengen area, either. 

Wow, thanks for that insightful information and enlightenment 😛 

4 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Travelling in these times is unpleasant, but honestly an extra 5-10 mins at passport control really hasn't been an issue (so far).  The hour waiting for check in baggage is more of an issue, which is obviously due to Brexit right?  At Frankfurt airport.

In some instances it's been considerably longer than 5-10mins. 

As you know, the baggage issue is a global one, I am only flying BA and carrying hand luggage so not affected directly on that from so far. Ground crew and air bridge driver delays are another matter, no way of avoiding that.

6 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

If only there was a dedicated lane for the aforementioned two categories...

To clarify for everyone else, since some dis-information has been posted elsewhere in this thread. The non-Schengen status of UK prior to Brexit required that all UK PP holders needed to go through PP control when leaving the EU. The issue now, post Brexit, is upon entry the need to clear PP control through rest of world channel - one or two large flights from RoW countries prior to you and you're toast (literally!).

9 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Erm. Well. The 1988 ban on self-loading and pump action rifles (that also raised shotguns with a magazine capacity or more than two to s1) was the Tories. The 1996 fullbore handgun ban was the Tories. The now thankfully repealed raising of expanding bullets and expanding ammunition to s5 was the Tories. The need for direct medical input paid for by the applicant was the Tories. The recent banning of MARS operated rifles was the Tories. Anyone who believes that the Tories when in Government are the friend of shooters and of shooting is deluding themselves.

Labour would have banned the lot period.

6 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Labour would have banned the lot period.

??🤣 they or any other party would certainly have to go some to catch up with the Tories record. 

I suspect whoever and whatever party is in charge next will be kept busy sorting out the Boris mess to worry about such stuff. The looming recession (depression) should be the focus. 

9 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

I'll bet most bans were in public reaction to something that happened?

On 08/07/2022 at 14:52, Raja Clavata said:

Err, not so upon arrival in Porto on Monday or my departure on Wednesday.

In the past month I have travelled by air to Portugal (Porto), Spain (Barcelona), France (Paris & Nice), Italy (Bologna) & Germany (Stuttgart & Hannover) and have had to queue every time in the rest of world lane.

I defer to your 'lived experience' for Portugal, however it was announced with great fanfare.

My experience with Germany is that although we're stuck in the RoW lane, they will change dynamically adjust which lane is a RoW and which is an EU/EEA lane, and occasionally call RoW travellers forward to the EU lane.

Frankly the Bundespolizei and/or Zoll are usually relieved you that you can speak decent English, let alone German.  Having dealt with

As you know, the baggage issue is a global one, I am only flying BA and carrying hand luggage so not affected directly on that from so far. Ground crew and air bridge driver delays are another matter, no way of avoiding that.

I know that, you know that, a lot of BDS sufferers do not, so it bears repeating.  Because a lie will be halfway round the world(having lost its luggage), before the truth has even got its boots on.

Sadly I must take kit with me for work that can't go in carry-on, so I'm stuck waiting at the carousel, before I of hammer the company expense account at the hire car desk.

If only there was a dedicated lane for the aforementioned two categories...

Should they get to the back of the bus as well, and not have the use of public drinking fountains?

To clarify for everyone else, since some dis-information has been posted elsewhere in this thread. The non-Schengen status of UK prior to Brexit required that all UK PP holders needed to go through PP control when leaving the EU. The issue now, post Brexit, is upon entry the need to clear PP control through rest of world channel - one or two large flights from RoW countries prior to you and you're toast (literally!).

Does rather depend on the airport; the airports that mix non-Schengen short haul flights, with long-haul, are a PITA, and were a PITA before Brexit, and continue to be so.