Llanelli woman jailed for taking over a 150 driving tests for other people

Vince Green

Imposter mum who made thousands taking 150 driving tests jailed | ITV News Wales

this caught my eye because my friend was a Road Safety Officer in NW london . He's now retired but he used to go on about driving licence fraud being rife twenty years ago. It was a touchy subject he used to say. Apparently, nothing has changed He always used to say candidates should be photographed and fingerprinted

My friend that I used to work with was a Kenyan Asian, He used to joke about having never taken a driving test in his life. In Kenya you just filled out a form and paid about a fiver and they gave you your licence there on the spot.

When he arrived in UK having been kicked out of Kenya by the ruling party in 1968 the British Govt just took his Kenyan licence and issued him with a British one in its place.

31 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

When he arrived in UK having been kicked out of Kenya by the ruling party in 1968 the British Govt just took his Kenyan licence and issued him with a British one in its place.

This has always been a massive joke (not the funny kind), everyone using our roads should have to pass our test, with the exception of those here on holidays.

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

My friend that I used to work with was a Kenyan Asian, He used to joke about having never taken a driving test in his life. In Kenya you just filled out a form and paid about a fiver and they gave you your licence there on the spot.

My mother never took a test either.

She held a provisional licence before 1939 (she was born in 1919) and when the war started tests were suspended and people allowed to drive on their provisional licence. At the end of the war they were then told that as they'd been driving by then for "so long" that they could exchange the provisional licence for a full licence without any test.

In Australia even today is some states there's no test. Think about it. In Alice Springs and elsewhere away from the major cities there's what exactly to drive around as a test route? So in most states as a resident after two years of a provisional licence you can exchange it for a full licence. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver_licences_in_Australia

Edited by enfieldspares

34 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

This has always been a massive joke (not the funny kind), everyone using our roads should have to pass our test, with the exception of those here on holidays.

I agree, the woman who wrote off my mums car had a Turkish licence

She gave her details to police at the scene but my mother's insurance company was never able to trace her subsequently.

Too many people living off the radar and getting away with it

1 minute ago, enfieldspares said:

My mother never took a test either.

She held a provisional licence before 1939 (she was born in 1919) and when the war started tests were suspended and people allowed to drive on their provisional licence. At the end of the war they were then told that as they'd been driving by then for "so long" that they could exchange the provisional licence for a full licence without any test.

In Australia even today is some states there's no test. Think about it. In Alice Springs and elsewhere away from the major cities there's what exactly to drive around as a test route? So after two years of a provisional licence you can exchange it for a full licence. 

More or less the same in some States in America especially the more rural ones

There's an American lady on social media was talking about the driving differences after moving from the state of Georgia to the UK.

When she took her test in the states she had to drive around a few cones in a car park and was issued with her licence. I think on coming to the UK you get so long on your American licence before you must pass the test over here.

1 hour ago, Rob85 said:

There's an American lady on social media was talking about the driving differences after moving from the state of Georgia to the UK.

When she took her test in the states she had to drive around a few cones in a car park and was issued with her licence. I think on coming to the UK you get so long on your American licence before you must pass the test over here.

They should take a UK test after six months but nobody seems to check up. My late Mum's carer was over here for years driving on her Hungarian licence. If she went home, which she did several times a year by easyjet , the clock restarts when they arrive back here  

58 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

They should take a UK test after six months but nobody seems to check up. My late Mum's carer was over here for years driving on her Hungarian licence. If she went home, which she did several times a year by easyjet , the clock restarts when they arrive back 

Unfortunately they don't legally have to change licence from Europe. My wife checked with dvla. You have to pay to swap the licence so no incentive. 

I don't understand how she did it. Surely when she arrived at the test centre and showed the other person's provisional licence with someone else's photo on it, alarm bells would be ringing. 

If on the other hand she got a load of provisional licences with her photo on, why didn't DVLA notice?

15 hours ago, walshie said:

I don't understand how she did it. Surely when she arrived at the test centre and showed the other person's provisional licence with someone else's photo on it, alarm bells would be ringing. 

If on the other hand she got a load of provisional licences with her photo on, why didn't DVLA notice?

Hello, make a good advert for Specsavers 🤔

My Uncle went to take his test as a teen,came home and told everyone he had passed and everyone accepted it as he had been driving round the farm for years, roll on 40 odd years and he is stopped in a routine traffic stop and when asked for his licence told them he didn't have one.

It turns out he was embarresed to fail his test ,told a fib and then couldn't back down, he got a couple of hundred pounds fine and ordered to retake his test which he did and passed.

It was only a year or so later he gave up his licence because of ill health.

19 hours ago, walshie said:

Clearly there was a lack of due dilligance. Apparently she turned up and took at least two of the tests in her own BMW.

Don't the examiners check that the person  who is supposed to be taking the test is a named driver on the insurance? That would have thrown up that something was wrong?

Slack administration and lack of proper checks

Back in the mid ‘60’s a neighbour took his car to a test centre where he was to meet his brother in law who was booked in for a test. The brother in law never showed up so our neighbour took his test for him and failed despite having a full licence himself.

3 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Someone who is in their 60s locally was stopped and had no license, had never had a license, and never been asked before- despite driving all his life. Unbelievable 

Hello, I agree, most likely no insurance, and god forbid if he hurt anyone 

2 hours ago, London Best said:

Back in the mid ‘60’s a neighbour took his car to a test centre where he was to meet his brother in law who was booked in for a test. The brother in law never showed up so our neighbour took his test for him and failed despite having a full licence himself.

🙄😆😆😆😆

I don't understand how she did it. Surely when she arrived at the test centre and showed the other person's provisional licence with someone else's photo on it,

In the instance I cited, the "learner" was wearing ethnic attire and his face wasn't readily on show. He took some tests as a woman.