cut barley

mossy835

6 hours ago, old'un said:

I agree to a point that there is potential for injury but in all the years I have been working dogs I have never had a dog injured when picking birds on rape stubble, but that's not saying it could never happen.

I think every time a dog is sent out for a retrieve there is a element of risk in all sorts of cover both in day and night , with wildfowling the dog often have to cross creaks , rivers , dykes and over rugged salt marshes in all weathers and at all times of day plus many times under the moon , maybe I have been lucky but I could never recall any of my dogs having a serious accident .

Stubble's are the same and I must admit it would be far easier for a dog to have a accident on Rape stubble than most grain stubble , maybe a tall Bean stubble might be a close second.

As I have said , I have been lucky with my dogs but my motor wasn't quite so lucky as I have still got the heavy duty plastic engine cover in my garage where last year a rape stubble stem went through the cover and it was left on the field , a few days later when I went again I thought a bit had fell off the tractor or something and I didn't realise it was off my motor as it didn't make any difference to it , in fact every time I walk past it in my garage it reminded me of a decent day I had on last years Rape stubble , and come to think of it , my motor passed the M O T with the engine guard off .

On 11/07/2022 at 14:27, old'un said:

sorry, obviously i was unaware of your situation.

I agree to a point that there is potential for injury but in all the years I have been working dogs I have never had a dog injured when picking birds on rape stubble, but that's not saying it could never happen.

even when its shoulder height?

out on cut barley after work today,spoke to farmer ,i said are the contractors going to bail it, he i dont think they will today loads of pigeons on it,so i set up 10 mins later in come the big bailer, i only shot 1 then in come the tractor and trailer, packed up and went home, i think it would have been a good afternoons shooting,will try again on thursday,when its all gone,

21 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Shot a laid patch on some barley today ...shot 54 but couldn't pick all of them. Birds that decoyed did text book but loads just flying 20220711_183841_copy_600x1234.jpg.94307e8ed0f3356f59c64fa79b75b660.jpg⁸about as too many fields to feed on.

Excellent bag and not a bad pick up , something I hate is not finding what I have shot and we all wound Pigeons virtually every time we get a fairly decent bag and the least we can do is try and pick up what we shoot.

A part of the sport I have missed this year is shooting over a laid patch of corn , we have had the odd day of wind and rain but not at the right stage for the stems to knocked about , it won't happen now as the combines have been working non stop since Saturday and we have already got several fields cut and the bailers were going flat today , when I came home around tea time I passed three combines swallowing up the barley and spitting the waist out it's rear end , Summer is now at it's peak , as they used to say , when the harvest start the best part of the Summer is over .