DVLA are a joke

walshie

My son passed his Class 1 in January and the test centre sent off his licence and the pass certificate direct to DVLA or whatever they are called now..

Months later he phoned to check the progress and was told they had no record of it and asked him to send in his pass certificate and once they had that, his licence would be with him "within 3 weeks".

Months later he phoned again and they had lost it again. The smartarse he spoke to said he should have sent it recorded. My son replied "I did. Signed for so-and-so date by so-and-so."

He was put through to a "supervisor" who then emailed some documents for my son to sign electronically and send back, which he did while the supervisor was still on the phone. He agreed he had all he needed, said he would send it for processing right then and my son would get his licence "within 7 days." That was 3 weeks ago.

How can they be so incompetent? 7 months and counting.

6 minutes ago, walshie said:

My son passed his Class 1 in January and the test centre sent off his licence and the pass certificate direct to DVLA or whatever they are called now..

Months later he phoned to check the progress and was told they had no record of it and asked him to send in his pass certificate and once they had that, his licence would be with him "within 3 weeks".

Months later he phoned again and they had lost it again. The smartarse he spoke to said he should have sent it recorded. My son replied "I did. Signed for so-and-so date by so-and-so."

He was put through to a "supervisor" who then emailed some documents for my son to sign electronically and send back, which he did while the supervisor was still on the phone. He agreed he had all he needed, said he would send it for processing right then and my son would get his licence "within 7 days." That was 3 weeks ago.

How can they be so incompetent? 7 months and counting.

It is the thing that is delaying most things in this country at the moment - idle and incompetent civil servants with a political agenda.

8 months I waited for my licence to be renewed (medical grounds), I tried hundreds of times to ring but never once got through so eventually logged a complaint, 8 months and 3 days exactly when they responded telling me that I needed an eye test and it was to be completed within 14 days. Not one optician had any appointments on their "humphrey" machine (field of vision) for at least 2 months, absolute nightmare. The DVLA should be sacked to a man, lets not forget that the shortage of HGV drivers was mainly due to DVLA not processing licences.

I went through the online application procedure for driving licence renewal on Thursday 6 July, and was expecting to wait several months for it.   Could hardly believe my eyes when the envelope arrived today (9 July) with the little pink card.   Never heard of anybody else getting a three day turn around from DVLA in recent years.

Just wish the SGC renewal was as quick  -  applied at the beginning of November, had the 8-week extension, had the home visit, now on a Section 7 that is due to expire in a fortnight's time.  

My class 1 came through within a week of it being sent off, can't fault that to be honest. Now trying to get  a V5c for a road legal quad bike has been a nightmare, this despite it being registered before but the estate i bought it off couldn't find the log book so had to apply myself. Now got a chap coming to inspect it tomorrow morning to make sure it's all straight and not been messed with, it still has the original reg plate on it too.

s

I’ve taken my trailer test sent my license off and had it returned and then passed class 2 test sent my  license off had it returned and applied for tacho had the forms processed and my tacho card sent out to me in the time that some have been waiting for one thing to be done 😮.  it seems that it’s very much hit and miss with Dvla. But saying that , that’s always been the case for as long as I can remember. 

Being  a gentleman of a certain age I have to renew my driving licence every three years. A reminder was received in June. I completed the on line application with NI and Passport No etc. Five days later my new licence arrived. I suspect his type of renewal is computerised without human interference which accounts for the quick turn around.

16 hours ago, walshie said:

How can they be so incompetent?

No competition, no accountability, no action on poor performance ........... for a start.  That's Government departments for you.  Some are good, but most are at best indifferent, some VERY poor. 

2 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

No competition, no accountability, no action on poor performance ........... for a start.  That's Government departments for you.  Some are good, but most are at best indifferent, some VERY poor. 

Sounds like my GP Surgery. 

You should try dealing with the tax office.

I overpay tax every year (cis) and normally get my rebate oct/Nov. And it's not an inconsequential amount, well to me its not. But I've still had to pay my corporation tax (on pain of interest and fine for no/late payment)  when they owe me a heck of a lot more than I owed them, anybody think I'll get any interest on what they owe me. 🤔🤨

23 hours ago, Bobba said:

Being  a gentleman of a certain age I have to renew my driving licence every three years. A reminder was received in June. I completed the on line application with NI and Passport No etc. Five days later my new licence arrived. I suspect his type of renewal is computerised without human interference which accounts for the quick turn around.

But also make the process a complete waste of time from the point of view of weeding out people who are needing to be weeded out. 

Self declaration is fraught with risks. My mother just filled out the form and sent it off every three years even though she should have given up years before.

In the end we intervened

On 09/07/2022 at 17:24, bruno22rf said:

8 months I waited for my licence to be renewed (medical grounds), I tried hundreds of times to ring but never once got through so eventually logged a complaint, 8 months and 3 days exactly when they responded telling me that I needed an eye test and it was to be completed within 14 days. Not one optician had any appointments on their "humphrey" machine (field of vision) for at least 2 months, absolute nightmare. The DVLA should be sacked to a man, lets not forget that the shortage of HGV drivers was mainly due to DVLA not processing licences.

Yep, from experience they are anonymous and extremely awkward, because they can?

Well if you think the DVLA are incompetent, you should try dealing with The Kennel Club.

Then you will feel like banging your head against the wall.

My ESS bitch had a litter of 6 pups on 3rd June, and I filled out the online litter registration form on the 7th June and purchased 5 generation pedigree certificates and paid the fee of £174.

Immediately after paying the fee, I received an email to confirm my order and tell me there was big delays in the registration process.

3 weeks later I received an envelope with the registration documents and on opening found only 4 registration documents and 6 KC 5 weeks insurance forms, and no pedigree certificates.

I have sent numerous emails and waited 55 minutes on the phone and still no reply.

The service provided is absolutely shocking.