Back at it.

manthing

So, not done a deal of work with any of the air guns lately and had a swap around of scopes yesterday. The ultra was clover leafing holes on target after 6 shots rested at 20 yards, these pcps are a piece of ****, 1 dot hold over at 28 yards.

The new 77k and old faithful 97k on the other hand were about 20 pellets in before I got to under 40mm groups. Need to put a lot more time into the springers and stay on top of the practice and eventual use.

It was unusual for me to have all out together and I noticed how much weight affected the on target time. The ultra moved with every heart beat and was quite noticeable whereas the springers were a lot steadier, well until you squeeze the trigger 🤣

Also noticed the noise the 77 was making, need to give it a clean and polish. The 97 is TBT'd with a short stroke extension but I might try another route for the sake of comparison.

I think I worded that wrong.

From a new scope going on to a 5 shot group on bull was 6 shots, plus the 5 on bull.

Firsts 2 were 1 hole high left , then 2 at 1 hole left, last 2 on bull then a 5 group on bull, 1 hole slightly off round. I know it's capable of basically single hole groups but I was just getting the scope zero'd and not trying to hard.

The springers require the skill and practice.

54 minutes ago, manthing said:

I think I worded that wrong.

From a new scope going on to a 5 shot group on bull was 6 shots, plus the 5 on bull.

Firsts 2 were 1 hole high left , then 2 at 1 hole left, last 2 on bull then a 5 group on bull, 1 hole slightly off round. I know it's capable of basically single hole groups but I was just getting the scope zero'd and not trying to hard.

The springers require the skill and practice.

Hello, and I'm thinking to get a Springer 🤔🙄

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, and I'm thinking to get a Springer 🤔🙄

It's easier  to explain this way why I prefer springers.

Any 12 thumbed knuckle dragging swamp donkey can shoot a pcp to a good standard, it takes practice, patience and skill to shoot a springer well.

I hope the above helps in your decision process, I'd advise that if your getting a springer get a good quality one, even 2nd hand and practice the Artillery Hold a lot, then a lot more.

I like fixed barrel guns but the one breaker I hope to own one day is a hw98. Don't let the weight put you off, it helps to steady the gun.

46 minutes ago, manthing said:

It's easier  to explain this way why I prefer springers.

Any 12 thumbed knuckle dragging swamp donkey can shoot a pcp to a good standard, it takes practice, patience and skill to shoot a springer well.

I hope the above helps in your decision process, I'd advise that if your getting a springer get a good quality one, even 2nd hand and practice the Artillery Hold a lot, then a lot more.

I like fixed barrel guns but the one breaker I hope to own one day is a hw98. Don't let the weight put you off, it helps to steady the gun.

Cheers for that you’ve probably just upset half the air gun shooters on here 😂 

Been shooting springer for years, there is a lot to like about them (my SS carbine is a fine squirrel gun), I think if the power is say beyond 15lbs and up then pcp come into there own, but if you want a solid fafless system thats got to be a spring gun.

9 hours ago, manthing said:

When I first put the maxi pro kit and short stroke extension in from tbt the 97k was running at over 14ftlbs, and it was a joy to shoot. Pity I had to reduce it to sub 12ftlbs. 

A friend had a ticketed BSA running about 15-16ftlbs good power but a bit harsh! dont recall him ever fitting a scope to it..What is the advantage to short stroking the 97k? Lock time? is the gun built for more power and in sub 12 the stroke dose not time well with a lower pounded spring? so you have like an over blast of air or wasted volume?

Edited by Chaz25

I believe the main advantage of the sse is indeed a quicker lock time. 

Not sure what power they are designed to run at, dont the Germans only get 6ftlbs in airguns? But then I was told the hw80 is designed for 18-20ftlbs and supplied with a uk speck spring here. A friend in France bought a brand new 97k and they get 20 joules to our 16, he said it was better at 18j.

Mines also a .22 which are generally a bit smoother than the .177's.