How Far have they Fallen

Humblepie

Let me just say before going into the main thread, I have always voted Tory since the days of Maggie when I was old enough in 1980. She had taken power after Callaghan and addressed the mess this country was in to make us proud again, albeit with stuff she didn’t get right. I no longer consider myself a conservative voter and reckon Maggie will be turning in her grave with the current situation. Love her or hate her, she was a strong PM which is exactly what this country needs right now.

When Boris came to power I was hoping (like a few people on PW) with his fascination of Churchill and those values, he would take us back to something like a country to be proud of again. I still believe Brexit is the right option and we as a sovereign state should run the country for our people and not bow to the EU or anyone else. Unfortunately the past 3 years have been nothing more than a shambles with unnecessary lockdowns, ridiculous rules and woke expectations driven by unqualified left wing sympathisers and while I think he may have had a belief in taking the country forward, his lies and his cabinets disregard for the electorate has been utterly shameful, whilst taking heed from those so called experts.

Following his resignation and the Tory party really needing to regain some credibility, we have the new Education Minister giving the middle finger to a “baying mob”. You would have thought that someone deep inside the party who still believes in Tory values would have communicated something out to make sure they are seen as a trustworthy party going forward. Alas no and it smacks of a scene from “the thick of it”

To sum up the quality of our new Education Minister, an English teacher posted the following response to Andrea Jenkyns’ apology tweet

image.jpeg.35de4629979f536730ff100f2e19afe4.jpeg

This really shows up how far the level of quality has fallen within the Tory party. Let’s hope the new Leader takes the party by the scruff of the neck and brings some integrity back to it because there is no viable opposition and I for one am sick of living in a country (a country that I used to love and still yearn to) where I no longer have any respect respect for the government 

A sad state of affairs

35 minutes ago, Humblepie said:

To sum up the quality of our new Education Minister, an English teacher posted the following response to Andrea Jenkyns’ apology tweet

Whilst I agree with some of your post it is a great shame that many "teachers" do not apply this same rigor when marking their students work. I was a "failed" student as far as my English teachers at school were concerned, but my written English is still far better than many "A" level students in the subject that I have had dealings with over the last 20 years.

They would be better teaching clear concise writing rather than, for example, teaching 8 year olds the such inanities as "fronted adverbials" 

Edited by Yellow Bear
spl

1 hour ago, Humblepie said:

Let me just say before going into the main thread, I have always voted Tory since the days of Maggie when I was old enough in 1980. She had taken power after Callaghan and addressed the mess this country was in to make us proud again, albeit with stuff she didn’t get right. I no longer consider myself a conservative voter and reckon Maggie will be turning in her grave with the current situation. Love her or hate her, she was a strong PM which is exactly what this country needs right now.

Yes. I'm pretty much there agreeing with all of that word for word for word. My first General Election was 1979. Things were truly that dire under Mr Callaghan! Except I stopped voting Tory after Thatcher's 1988 self-loading and pump action rifle ban that also brought in s1 FACs for shotgun with an unrestricted magazine like the Browning Auto-5 or detachable magazines like the Marlin bolt action "Goose Gun". I've at times put an "X" in the Conservative box but it's now based on the candidate and what he, or she, is. not the colour of party rosette they wear.

Edited by enfieldspares

The choice is between three or four women and Penny Maudant is impressive at the dispatch box shown in a recent destruction of the SNP.  Liz Truss has worked very hard against a civil service head wind .... well the wind may have been coming from elsewhere but we'll keep the party clean.

2 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

Whilst I agree with some of your post it is a great shame that many "teachers" do not apply this same rigor when marking their students work. I was a "failed" student as far as my English teachers at school were concerned, but my written English is still far better than many "A" level students in the subject that I have had dealings with over the last 20 years.

They would be better teaching clear concise writing rather than, for example, teaching 8 year olds the such inanities as "fronted adverbials" 

Mrs T is a recently retired primary teacher and, to be fair, she thinks the fronted adverbial stuff is utter nonsense, foisted on them by a Tory government. She had to explain it to me, which she did very well. And she's a lefty, unfortunately. 

3 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Boris has been a fool, but saying he has achieved zero and trashed the economy is the height of stupidity.

Who has said that?

1 minute ago, Humblepie said:

Who has said that?

Just read the post trail so take that last comment back. I can see that someone has made that comment. Apologies Gordon

It would be so refreshing to see someone come forward with a proposal for Uk plc that had some / any substance. Where is the vision? We are all too quick to rubbish proposals and all to slow to suggest what we would prefer. 

Boris achieved zero for UK although I doubt he could be credited with trashing the economy. Unfortunately the same has been the case for most of the PM's before him. I only see knee jerk reactions to the immediate problem. 

When Thatcher came forward she had a clear vision and plan as did Blair. Now it's all about the candidate and boy are we good at backing looser's. Unfortunately those that are harder working focused politicians (of any party) with a good subject knowledge are rarely the ones that have the charisma to capture public imagination. 

The best that we can hope for is no overall control and a more consensual political landscape. 

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

Boris has been a fool, but saying he has achieved zero and trashed the economy is the height of stupidity.

Is the economy not trashed and has he delivered Brexit?  Yes it is Nett Zero and the insane Furlough saw to that and no he hasn't, not admitting this is the height of stupidity.  FTSE 250 down 25% this year, inflation at 10% and rising, Taxes at a 70 year high, the highest ever corporation rate coming down the road, energy costs changing by the day whilst we sit on hundreds of years worth of Gas and Oil.  Uncontolled mass legal and illegal immigration. Covering the countryside with trees and solar panels in the middle of  a world wide food crisis.  Yep he has smashed it, that you support it is the height of stupidity.

Edited by Weihrauch17

I've been talking about this for years, unless we move away from voting for the same old partys nothing will change as they know no matter what they do, the people will still vote them in. I realise that will end in hung parliament, but we'd only need to do it a couple of times before theyd be forced to sit up and actually listen to the millions of people who actually make this country tick. 

Mass economic migration would stop, taxes would be lowered, all this woke pc nonsense would stop, criminals would be dealt with harshly and crime would take a massive tumble, less government corruption. The list goes on and on. But it won't happen while we all believe we can only vote for two or maybe three partys. 

4 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

Mass economic migration would stop, taxes would be lowered, all this woke pc nonsense would stop, criminals would be dealt with harshly and crime would take a massive tumble, less government corruption. The list goes on and on. But it won't happen while we all believe we can only vote for two or maybe three partys. 

You guys are absolutely adorable sometimes.

/M

Is the economy not trashed and has he delivered Brexit?  Yes it is Nett Zero and the insane Furlough saw to that and no he hasn't, not admitting this is the height of stupidity.  FTSE 250 down 25% this year, inflation at 10% and rising, Taxes at a 70 year high, the highest ever corporation rate coming down the road, energy costs changing by the day whilst we sit on hundreds of years worth of Gas and Oil.  Uncontolled mass legal and illegal immigration. Covering the countryside with trees and solar panels in the middle of  a world wide food crisis.  Yep he has smashed it, that you support it is the height of stupidity.

No trace of bias there. Not sure what "uncontolled" is but it sounds as funny as the rest of your rather bizarre rant.