Charity shoot

Scully

A mate and me met up with a few others and attended a charity shoot hosted on a local shooting estate last weekend. 
It was only a couple of miles away as the crow flies, and just a 50 birder, but was one of the most enjoyable shoots I’ve attended in many a long time. 
The weather was glorious and it was great to meet up with old friends and make new ones. 
To be honest most of us should have max’d the course, but none of us did! I seem to have got into a habit of killing the first six, missing either the next one or two, then killing the last two! Did it time after time! No idea what that’s about but there you go. 🤷‍♂️
Am loving the 3/8ths extended ported Teague I bought some time ago, especially on the high driven birds….just dust! 
Mate outshot me by a couple as usual, and surprisingly only one person shooting a maximum, with a known trophy hunter going round three times to try and equal him. Have no idea if he did as we left before the end. 
We had two entries each as we were just simply loving it. Totally chilled, no rush, having the craic with all and sundry, big smiles all round and a big cheese burger to boot! 🙂

Highlights of the day was the high proportion of young lasses having a go, and really enjoying it, but the best bit was watching the son of a local ‘keeper shooting. He has been wheelchair bound since his late teens ( now in his 40’s I think ) following a horrendous car accident. His mates wheeled him into the cage of the driven stand, taped his left hand to the fore-end of his gun with duct tape, and one loaded for him as the other knelt behind him to tip his wheelchair back to the appropriate angle so he could shoot the driven clays. Wonderful. 
A superb little day out. 

Lovely post, would be great to see some sort of reclining chair available to allow him to shoot driven targets. but doesn't it show the best of the sport how his mates will literally prop him up to keep him involved. That's dedication to ones mates as well as the sport.

13 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

Lovely post, would be great to see some sort of reclining chair available to allow him to shoot driven targets. but doesn't it show the best of the sport how his mates will literally prop him up to keep him involved. That's dedication to ones mates as well as the sport.

Thankyou. 
That’s exactly how we felt. It does indeed show the sport in its best available light; my OH became quite emotional when I told her about it. 
He was a fairly regular regular in a local restaurant my OH worked in, along with one of his carers. Nice lad. 

On 12/07/2022 at 12:19, Scully said:

A mate and me met up with a few others and attended a charity shoot hosted on a local shooting estate last weekend. 
It was only a couple of miles away as the crow flies, and just a 50 birder, but was one of the most enjoyable shoots I’ve attended in many a long time. 
The weather was glorious and it was great to meet up with old friends and make new ones. 
To be honest most of us should have max’d the course, but none of us did! I seem to have got into a habit of killing the first six, missing either the next one or two, then killing the last two! Did it time after time! No idea what that’s about but there you go. 🤷‍♂️
Am loving the 3/8ths extended ported Teague I bought some time ago, especially on the high driven birds….just dust! 
Mate outshot me by a couple as usual, and surprisingly only one person shooting a maximum, with a known trophy hunter going round three times to try and equal him. Have no idea if he did as we left before the end. 
We had two entries each as we were just simply loving it. Totally chilled, no rush, having the craic with all and sundry, big smiles all round and a big cheese burger to boot! 🙂

Highlights of the day was the high proportion of young lasses having a go, and really enjoying it, but the best bit was watching the son of a local ‘keeper shooting. He has been wheelchair bound since his late teens ( now in his 40’s I think ) following a horrendous car accident. His mates wheeled him into the cage of the driven stand, taped his left hand to the fore-end of his gun with duct tape, and one loaded for him as the other knelt behind him to tip his wheelchair back to the appropriate angle so he could shoot the driven clays. Wonderful. 
A superb little day out. 

Sounds like a class day out,  and unexpected.. Re  the handy course,  it may have looked easy but you have to respect every bird, take them for granted and you'll get a kick in backside. Plus if it was a lad that knew what he was at setting the course,  he'd have twists and turns in them, leave them very deceptive! Great to see that man in wheel chair getting a shot and helping from his mates.. we think we have problems 😕

2 minutes ago, Krico woodcock said:

Sounds like a class day out,  and unexpected.. Re  the handy course,  it may have looked easy but you have to respect every bird, take them for granted and you'll get a kick in backside. Plus if it was a lad that knew what he was at setting the course,  he'd have twists and turns in them, leave them very deceptive! Great to see that man in wheel chair getting a shot and helping from his mates.. we think we have problems 😕

Indeed. We all whinge and whine, but things could be so much worse. 👍